aeh5040

[MOC] Synchro Pods kinetic art - now with instructions

Nice use for the X-pods, I have got a few of those but I had never known what to do with them!

I will probably build a shorter version of this, because I don't have that many X-pods.

5 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Nice use for the X-pods, I have got a few of those but I had never known what to do with them!

I will probably build a shorter version of this, because I don't have that many X-pods.

The x pod lids are hard to find, unfortunately. It is probably possible to substitute something else - dishes, etc. (although the pod lids give a particularly convenient solution). If someone wants to try, make sure each arm is well balanced.

I greatly admired this model when you first uploaded the video - it's very clever, both in its original idea, and the mechanism using the differentials to achieve the close ratios. This is just what Lego Technic is about to me :thumbup::thumbup: and thank you very much @aeh5040 for making the instructions freely available :classic:

It will probably be a while before I have enough Lego to build this, but I have bookmarked it and downloaded the build instructions. In the meantime, there were a few parts I struggled to recognise in the parts list - can the OP or anyone else help with these questions please? :

And confirmation of the following:

Thanks again.

Edited by Jon61
added picture of mystery part

6 hours ago, Jon61 said:
  • what part is the wheel/ring thing that appears just above the differential housing in the parts list (first used on page 2)? [Edit: pic: SynchroPods%20part_zpsxhllxcv3.jpg]

Took me nearly 20 mins to find that part.  Searching every possible description.  What made it much worse is the stock color shown in the BL catalog is trans neon green which doesn't really jump out as your scrolling through hundreds of items.  

Answer is...Hero Factory Weapon Barrel

Thanks for the queries, and sorry for the confusion!  The model is now on rebrickable, including the parts list with links, so it should be easier to identify the parts.  (I think you need to log in to rebrickable to see them).  That one is indeed the weapon barrel - congratulations Chase! - and of course Jon61 is correct on the others.  I've no idea how I ended up using two types of 16t gear!  It is an error - they should be all the same.

http://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-8109/aeh5040/synchro-pods/ 

Edited by aeh5040

2 hours ago, nychase said:

Took me nearly 20 mins to find that part.  Searching every possible description.  What made it much worse is the stock color shown in the BL catalog is trans neon green which doesn't really jump out as your scrolling through hundreds of items.  

Answer is...Hero Factory Weapon Barrel

Ah, yes, a weapon barrel, of course, how come I didn't think of that :laugh: ... thanks and well done!

1 hour ago, aeh5040 said:

The model is now on rebrickable, including the parts list with links, so it should be easier to identify the parts.

Thanks once more aeh, I've got the parts list now. Just need to start saving up for some of the rarer parts (or work out what I can use instead!)

just finished this MOC and it went very well. I managed to get the pods all in white and it looks great. After starting it up I noticed that it was not syncing like your video. Was there any setup that I was supposed to do while building this or make sure all the large gears were in exactly the same position as I built the gear assembly? Before I start messing around with this I need some advice please!!

4 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

just finished this MOC and it went very well. I managed to get the pods all in white and it looks great. After starting it up I noticed that it was not syncing like your video. Was there any setup that I was supposed to do while building this or make sure all the large gears were in exactly the same position as I built the gear assembly? Before I start messing around with this I need some advice please!!

Syncing was a big nuisance, and I did not manage to do it perfectly (as you can see if you watch the video carefully enough).  Of course, what you want to achieve is that there is a time when all pods are perfectly aligned with each other.  Probably the right way to do it would be to line everything up perfectly as you build, perhaps locking the gears in place somehow.  However, I did not have the foresight to do this!  Instead I had to adjust after the build was finished.  Here is how I ended up doing it (which is not ideal).  The mesh between the 16t and 40t gear is quite loose.  Therefore, if you force the horizontal member that was constructed on p1 UP a bit (perhaps after disconnecting it at the far end), you can click the 40t gear around, one tooth at a time. This proves to be enough flexibility to get it more-or-less right.  Some trial and error is helpful for fine tuning.

Honestly this is a bit of a flaw with the model.  It would be nice if it were easier to adjust.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:09 PM, AFOLegofan66 said:

got this MOC running perfectly now...thanks for your help again!!

Awesome!  I'd be interested to see video of the white version...

I made a bigger version, with 17 pods geared in the ratios 80:81:82:83:84:85:86:87:88:89:90:91:91:93:94:95:96.  Enjoy!

Truly mesmerizing, even more than before...
How much strain is there on the motor? One motor driving all that gearing is surely going to struggle a bit, although the counterweights mean there isn't a lot of force required at the ends.

46 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

Truly mesmerizing, even more than before...
How much strain is there on the motor? One motor driving all that gearing is surely going to struggle a bit, although the counterweights mean there isn't a lot of force required at the ends.

Thanks!  Amazingly there is very little strain on the motor. It is running only at about half power from the rechargeable train battery and not really struggling at all.  (And the smaller version ran continuously for two shows without generating dust). I tried running it from an E-motor and solar cell, which did not quite work with the current gearing. I suspect that would work with another 1:3 or 3:5 reduction.

Edited by aeh5040

The 17 pods version is wonderful, and the music that accompanies it as well. What musical work is it?

I already loved watching the 9 pod version swinging back and forth, but this 17 pod version is just so enchanting:wub:. Very, very beautiful MOC...

Thread Bump!

I Collected the parts for this back in 2017 and finally built it.  Its fantastic.  I collected enough pod bottoms to be able to change out the colors for seasons as it certainly tends to mesmerize anyone who sees it.  

I will say, constructing the main gear train can get fiddly but I don't see a way to make it easier.  I will also say that I was under the impression that the timing couldn't get screwed up as everything would just be set to somewhere in the cycle but that wasn't the case.  My first 4 and last 5 were on totally different patterns.  What I did was pull the top 1x15 liftarms right above the gears (that lock the side to side movement) and then spread the 40t mechanisms apart on each arm giving enough slack to manually adjust the gears and set them all to top dead center across all 9.  Once everything was set to that timing it works perfectly and can operate in forward or reverse.  

Also bonus, now that 6 years have gone by there is finally enough supply for the pod bottoms again!

5 hours ago, nychase said:

Thread Bump!

I Collected the parts for this back in 2017 and finally built it.  Its fantastic.  I collected enough pod bottoms to be able to change out the colors for seasons as it certainly tends to mesmerize anyone who sees it.  

I will say, constructing the main gear train can get fiddly but I don't see a way to make it easier.  I will also say that I was under the impression that the timing couldn't get screwed up as everything would just be set to somewhere in the cycle but that wasn't the case.  My first 4 and last 5 were on totally different patterns.  What I did was pull the top 1x15 liftarms right above the gears (that lock the side to side movement) and then spread the 40t mechanisms apart on each arm giving enough slack to manually adjust the gears and set them all to top dead center across all 9.  Once everything was set to that timing it works perfectly and can operate in forward or reverse.  

Also bonus, now that 6 years have gone by there is finally enough supply for the pod bottoms again!

Thanks for the enthusiasm! Indeed I had to do some prying to adjust it. There is actually a better way, which is to use clutch gears, like in the later "Pangolin" 

Surprisingly, they do not seem to gradually slip over time. Of course, it would need a redesign to incorporate them into Synchropods. I've been meaning to do this but have not got around to it. I also have the key parts collected for a 33 pod mega version....

Edited by aeh5040