jtlan

[Feedback requested] [Instructions] [MoC] "International" Gondola

Those of you with good memories may remember this gondola:

cam03193.jpg

It first appeared in the thread for @Commander Wolf's T18, and has since appeared in various videos of our locomotives. The gondola is a relatively straightforward design, being a modernized version of the body from 4543 Railroad Tractor Flatbed mated to trucks from the My Own Train series of cars (10013, 10015, 10016, 10017). Besides being pleasantly "official" in style, the design is fairly international; we liked it because it looked decent when paired with locomotives from various parts of the world.

I've gone ahead and made instructions for this model:

international_gondola_01.jpg

You can get them in PDF form below:

International Gondola (PDF)

In exchange, would you mind giving me some feedback on the instructions themselves? For example, are they easy to follow? What don't you like about them? etc.

Enjoy!

P.S. If you prefer images to a pdf, there is a Brickshelf gallery here (pending moderation).

Edited by jtlan
Revised version of gallery

On 3/14/2017 at 6:42 AM, pyro690 said:

Did not build with bricks, very easy to follow. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very clear very useful ...you can open your own shop and sell your works! :wink:

40 minutes ago, Ex cinno said:

Nice work, your instructions are simply and easy to use. 

Thank you all for the feedback. Is there anything you would change, or that you didn't like about the instructions? Or parts that were confusing?

Maybe spice up the front page with a nice photoshoot of a brick-built one? I'm having white spaces (at the bottom on the front page, bottom and right side on following pages). Is that just Acrobat displaying it wrong?

Otherwise, everything is fine, instructions are perfectly clear. Thanks a lot for your work!

On 3/17/2017 at 2:20 AM, Capparezza said:

Maybe spice up the front page with a nice photoshoot of a brick-built one? I'm having white spaces (at the bottom on the front page, bottom and right side on following pages). Is that just Acrobat displaying it wrong?

Otherwise, everything is fine, instructions are perfectly clear. Thanks a lot for your work!

I've updated the instructions with a photo! Unfortunately for some reason LPub wouldn't insert JPGs, so I had to collect all the images into a pdf using Preview, which left a border around everything. I'll work on fixing that in the next iteration. However, I did figure out buffer exchanges, which makes some pages a lot cleaner:

international_gondola_06.png

Edited by jtlan

4 hours ago, peterab said:

The step numbers seem to be messed up.  4 5 4

Ah, looks like that's because the step is in a sub-submodel (the underframe in the truck). I'll fix the font size. Maybe a different background color for submodels would help?

I didn't have any problem reading it, but yeah, might be better. Maybe with yellow background like on page 3?