broesl

[MOC] E-Wing (Fate of the Galaxy)

Update 2: I finally solved the problem with the wings (only being held in place by gravity) in a way that doesn't look too clunky. Now the model is a bit more swooshable ;)

Update:

32755745653_0e7d093f35_b.jpg

It's difficult to stop trying to improve your creation but this should be the final version. I cleaned up the colorsceme a bit, added a bit more detail to the wingtips and modified the wing cannons and thrusters.

Hi and thanks for looking at my first post,

After seeing the render of the E-Wing from Fate of the Galaxy I wanted to build a Lego version of it. After a two weeks of improving my design this is the endproduct:

33379185486_0dce89c424_b.jpg

While I tried to recreate the original model as exact as possible I made some small changes and I had some problems recreating the nose section.
I'm no expert with snot techniques and I couldn't find a better cockpit piece. In the end I combined the nose of the 4502 X-Wing and 7259 ARC-170.
The rear hatch was inspired by the 75051 Jedi Scout fighter.

I build a lot of slightly different versions of the E-Wing and I included an older version with another cockpit piece in the LDD file.

In the file there is a small gap in the nose section. In a brick built version the gap can be filled with a 2x2 plate.

Edited by broesl

Really nice E-Wing! It never seemed to get a definitive "look", so it's quite fun that we have so many variations of this ship. I really like the shaping of the nose, makes me wish I'd remembered the ARC when trying to build similar shapes!

Does it have an astromech slot? :)

Welcome to Eurobricks!

Great job, I would agree with Moppo, great idea using the same technique of the Ark!

Ellis.

7 minutes ago, Moppo said:

Really nice E-Wing! It never seemed to get a definitive "look", so it's quite fun that we have so many variations of this ship. I really like the shaping of the nose, makes me wish I'd remembered the ARC when trying to build similar shapes!

Does it have an astromech slot? :)

Thanks! Yes, right behind the cockpit theres a compartment with an astromech. When the cannon is moved up the compartment can be opened.

I just downloaded it, really nice placement for the astromech, too. Matches this really well.

3 minutes ago, Moppo said:

I just downloaded it, really nice placement for the astromech, too. Matches this really well.

That's the image I based it on ;)

That looks really nice. :thumbup:

I do not know the E-Wing Fighter, but it is nice to see various building techniques from other ships in your build. :classic:

Wowzer. I always liked the look of the E-Wing, reminds me a lot of the real world F-4 Phantom. I am also really hoping it somehow finds its way back into the official Star Wars canon, because it is such a beautiful ship. Your model catches all the details I love about it!

15 hours ago, sander1992 said:

That looks really nice. :thumbup:

I do not know the E-Wing Fighter, but it is nice to see various building techniques from other ships in your build. :classic:

13 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

Wowzer. I always liked the look of the E-Wing, reminds me a lot of the real world F-4 Phantom. I am also really hoping it somehow finds its way back into the official Star Wars canon, because it is such a beautiful ship. Your model catches all the details I love about it!

Thanks for the kind words!

It sure would be great seeing it back in the canon. I'd love to see how they would design it for a movie.

Edited by broesl

Cool model, one of the better E-Wings that I have seen. Detailed and accurate, but I think click-hinges, not bars and clips, should be used on the wings to better hold them in place.

49 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Cool model, one of the better E-Wings that I have seen. Detailed and accurate, but I think click-hinges, not bars and clips, should be used on the wings to better hold them in place.

Thank you for the feedback.

When I first built the model I started with bars and clips as a provisionally solution since click-hinges only lock in 22,5 degree increments. My brick built model uses 5 connections instead of the 6 from the LDD file on each side because the 2x2 wedge plates I had ordered haven't been delivered yet and I needed to substitute the pieces.

The connection is surprisingly sturdy. It's really hard to pull the wings off without pushing them forwards at the same time so for now I'm satisfied with the design. The only problem this connection has, is that if you want to swoosh it around on it's head the wings fold upwards. If somebody has an idea how to connect them in a more elegant way I would appreciate any help :)

Perhaps you could replace the two levers on the top of the wing with some sort of bar piece that clips to the fuselage? It might not be particularly strong, but it would stop them flapping. :)

Yeah making the support strut functional would solve the problem. I just have to figure out how to make it functional and good looking at the same time :wacko:

Edited by broesl

Now the right E-Wing has functional support struts. A different version on each side. For my brick built model I will keep the nonfunctional... it just looks better :laugh:

Edited by broesl

I know the digital model on which your MOC is based, and you did a great job at capturing the shape and proportions. It's hard to get it's sleekness in Lego, and I've pondered myself how to build this in Lego some time ago. I'm confident you could improve the overall look and suggest more sleekness by cleaning up the colour scheme. In my eyes, the red is a bit too cluttered all around the model and ruins the shape a bit. I'd love to see a version with a straight red stripe on the sides and the other red parts exchanged with white on the nose. That way, you create a visually sleeker looking nose, because your eyes are not distracted by the red noise, and guided by the long red stripes.

This is meant as constructive criticism to improve you otherwise neat build. :thumbup:

Hey, thanks! Tips for improvements are always welcome ;)

Is something like this what you had in mind?

33324689581_e078b29a45_b.jpg

Edited by broesl

On 15.3.2017 at 9:11 AM, DarthTwoShedsJackson said:

I'd love to see a version with a straight red stripe on the sides and the other red parts exchanged with white on the nose.

I took DarthTwoShedsJacksons advise in my (hopefully) final version of my MOC. Check the original post for the new render.