Moppo

[MOC][Digital] MandalMotors Starviper Attack Platform

I thought I'd build something while waiting for my E-Wing parts. I don't intend to build this IRL any time soon, but I've not seen many Lego versions of the Starviper, so I decided to see how it would turn out.

So I present possibly the most awkwardly shaped ship in Star Wars. :P

UVcaitV.pngV05tcnV.png

And a reference.

2015-StarViper1.jpg

If I ever get around to building it for real, I'll be sure to bump this. :)

New version with instructions. https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=6733

Edited by Moppo

Wow looks pretty good! Props for going for something different, it is a very interesting ship indeed! The wing movement looks cool and very swooshable.

Thanks! The wings are linked by gears, I'm not sure if they interlock properly, but the upper wings are held in the flight position with a small ball joint.

This ship looks like pirate's ship in Empire At War Force of Corruption, very nice rendition ! Will you share the file ?

Kind regards

Thanks! I've uploaded a Stud.io file to my Bricklink gallery, there's a link to that in my signature.

This looks really good, but if my memory is correct it was built at microscale for Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka before, was it not? Still, at this scale, it's very impressive and I think it might look even better in real life! :classic:

Thanks guys. Yeah, I wasn't claiming "first", just saying it seemed to be uncommon. :)

I'd love to build it one day, but I don't think I have any space to display it.

That's indeed an uncommon ship, and it looks great too, nice build!

1 hour ago, roadstermatt said:

I like this a lot not familiar with the ship but its very cool looking

I'm feeling a lego shopping list may be needed

I think I might have to revise a few connections first. The main thing it's missing is a display stand. :laugh:

19 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Looks similar to a Promethean Watcher from Halo, except without the engines! Good work :D

I'd never seen those before, but I see the resemblance. :classic:

looks good, I like the white/black coloration and the splashes of colors trans tiles add a but of charm to it. the only details that I would recommend looking into adjusting is the secondary wings, they look undersized on your build relative to the reference included (other references support this as well). the only other change is that the wings are often shown as curved both along length and width, I know that is a real difficult thing to model with Lego but if you could get that form it would set this far and away as one of the best Virago/Star Vipers out there.

I'm not sure I can do much about the curve, but I can certainly rework the secondary wings.

I've made some small changes to the body, and made new winglets. I've also made instructions, which hopefully are easy enough to follow. https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=6733

BoLstOO.png

I've been working on a display stand for it, but I think it's too bulky and expensive, so I want to refine it further.

Edited by Moppo

23 minutes ago, Moppo said:

Thanks! It first appeared in Shadows of the Empire. The first time I saw it was in Empire At War: Forces of Corruption. I hope to see it in the new canon, but so far I've only seen Mandalorians flying Fang Fighters: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/3/36/Fang_fighter.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170209051440

Yeah would be cool to see it in canon, not many ships as interesting as this in canon which is a shame

While I don't revere SOTE as much as everyone else, I love the StarViper. As far as I remember, Xizor didn't even do anything with the Virago, at least in the novel.

The model is outstanding. Congrats, Moppo!

1 hour ago, Ephseb said:

While I don't revere SOTE as much as everyone else, I love the StarViper. As far as I remember, Xizor didn't even do anything with the Virago, at least in the novel.

The model is outstanding. Congrats, Moppo!

Thanks. I've never read anything from the period myself, I tend to read about this stuff on Wookieepedia. :laugh:

24 minutes ago, Moppo said:

Thanks. I've never read anything from the period myself, I tend to read about this stuff on Wookieepedia. :laugh:

You should! :classic:  I love Scoundrels, Allegiance and Choices of One! If you haven't spoiled yourself the ending of the first and last of the three, definitely give 'em a try. Shadows of the Empire (the book) wasn't on that level of quality IMO.

Also, Crispin's Han Solo trilogy is amazing and has loads of easter eggs. (several characters created by Zahn and Stackpole pop up)

I definitely will! I tried reading some New Jedi Order stuff ages ago, but I think I had so little knowledge of what happened inbetween them and the movies that the significance of a lot of characters was lost on me. :classic:

In my opinion, New Jedi Order was the pinnacle of Star Wars storytelling. It went against audience expectations and the classic fairy-tale frame that almost everyone seems to crave, so it's extremely unpopular among those who haven't even read it (or read only the first book). So sad the Legends timeline went to sh*t after Unifying Force. I will always love the last chapter of that book and I consider it to be the perfect ending for the Star Wars saga. If you ever get around to reading it, you'll know what I mean.

Edited by Ephseb

I get what you mean. I like the ideas in it, I just need to get around to familiarising myself with the New Republic properly.

AHHHHHH, i ordered the parts recently, but when i went to load the instructions the model went down!!!!!!

if you still exist i would love if you could upload it again.

https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=6733was the one i ordered parts for.