Sign in to follow this  
mattman

[MOC][UCS Scale] TIE/D Automated Starfighter

Howdy All,

I've been on a bit of a run of late with the TIE's. I have had the original 75095 for a while, and recently built one of the amazing Interceptor MOC's that have been posted around the place. I happened upon yet another cheapish copy of the set, so figured I have to make a third! The goal was to make something nice and neat, but with efficient use of the parts in the set. 

I had a play around with designs for TIE Advanced x1 and TIE Bomber, the wings are large and needed quite a lot of parts, but that alone was OK. The cockpits however are very very difficult to design around the stock 75095 ball cockpit and I came to the realisation there's almost no point using 75095 as a base for these designs - it just deviates too much. Also they are hard to design :P All credit to people who've MOC'ed these before!

So I did some more digging about for other TIE variants, and stumbled across the TIE/D Droid/Done/Automated Starfighter (depending on which bit of legends you read apparently). Classic ball cockpit, smaller angled wings. The shape of the panels themselves present no real problem, a few extra parts for the grey trim on the edges and a few black plates but <$20 overall in parts. The angle posed a challenge - but I think it came off really well and in the end actually a pretty simple adaptation of the standard fitment of the panels (rotate 90 degrees, offset one pair of connectors by one stud).

Of course no longer needing a cockpit "window" I needed to fix that too. A common representation seems to be a red "eye" of similar size, so I've just fixed in a 6x6 dark red inverted radar behind the standard window, using just a small mod to the normal cockpit attachment.

Anyway - on to pictures!

MPAHzaj.jpg

kKDQGGM.jpg

2pyDDGj.jpg

And with the others!

d73Fjby.jpg

Hope you all enjoy :)

M.

Hello, mattman!

Your Tie/D looks fantastic, especially with it's famiIy. I can't imagine that this Tie is very aerodynamic though! I agree with Leonardo da Bricki create a Tie Bomber.

Ellis.

A bomber would be cool, it was definitely on my shortlist, but it didn't end up using a whole lot from the 75095 set I had as a parts donor. If doing one I'd just build it all from scratch and order what I need.

I've seen a couple of decent UCS Scale moc so will have to check those out :-)

M.

On 13.03.2017 at 2:13 AM, mattman said:

d73Fjby.jpg

Hope you all enjoy :)

M.

I really like your collection - I was thinking what should I do next after building Interceptor and Defender - Automated Starfighter looks like a great project to complete the set ;)

Great work! I really like the red eye :)

Edited by mcgrah

19 minutes ago, mcgrah said:

I really like your collection - I was thinking what should I do next after building Interceptor and Defender - Automated Starfighter looks like a great project to complete the set ;)

Great work! I really like the red eye :)

Cheers, your defender is stunning by the way too! 

My.