Murdoch17

Ogel's sinister Shark submarine + underwater base - Adventurers / Alpha Team MOCs

This sinister vessel comes with giant propeller, two seats inside the vessel for the brave crew, and a periscope for seeing your enemies before they see you! Help the evil Lord Ogel stalk and sink his nemesis, the Alpha Team, (plus his old foe Johnny Thunder) with his cutting edge submarine by firing torpedoes and diving deep to avoid depth charges. And when all else fails, rev up the engine to ramming speed and run through your enemies' vessels at top speed!*

Remember: Run silent and Run deep!

(*NOTE: Sub does not actually fire torpedoes, move under it's own power, or float on real water, though it will sink!)

50695720052_b311cf75b3_z.jpg

This is actually a recolored (and legless) version of the walking shark mech from set 70656. (garmadon, Garmadon, GARMADON!) I revised the color scheme to be suitably more evil and dark for Lord Ogel. I even added a single larger propeller to get more speed to the sub, though I removed the legs to make it truer to the submarine format. Oh, and the lower jaw still opens, though it is on click hinges now to keep it from flopping open.

50695720092_018d53c354_z.jpg

The rear of the sub. As you may have noticed, I truncated the lower real tail fin to make the ship sit flat on the table.

50695632891_ebe88a93e6_z.jpg

This submarine features two lift away roof sections: one for the tail gunner, and the other for Lord Ogel himself to drive / observe the chaos he causes through the rotating periscope!

50699533437_2bc871090c_z.jpg

I finished putting together the Ogel Underwater Base (set 4795 from 2002) that I received from my step-father's collection with a few additions from my bins for missing parts. I misread the instructions very early on and didn't notice until it was time to join the two halves together. I also ran out of parts on the rear near the rear half's revolving door, so I had to modify the model a bit to make it into more of a MOD than a straight-up set. 

Since the last time I showed this Evil underwater base MOD off I added inside walls, a better roof and built a couple of more figures for Ogel's Skeleton Drone army (who are now in gray uniforms, BTW). I also have given Ogel his ancestor Vladek's sword from Knight's Kingdom II, enhanced with an Ogelium crystal coating.

50699533452_48e26a42b0_z.jpg

Here we see the skull door in the open position. The ramp was my addition , and goes well with the door.

50698703503_0e4d5be948_z.jpg

Inside the base, which now is 98% enclosed to the elements. It sits in a air dome under the waves of the northern Atlantic ocean, midway between the UK and Normandy where the concealed island of Ogel once sat. (The island sank after an pre-emptive attack by Alpha Team left it crumbling into the sea.)

50698703508_d218a7729b_z.jpg

The space chair and desk are for Lord Ogel himself. On his desk is a radioactive drone head used to mutate humans into skeleton drones. It's currently under a protective glass dome to shield others from it's effects.

50698775728_d797254722_z.jpg

Here is the story I have written so far about Ogel and how he connects to my 1920's Adventurers stuff:

Born in 1893 as the last heir of the nation that bears his name, (Ogel) William Joseph Ogel was determined at an early age to rule his country with a iron fist. He became Lord (emperor, in effect)  of the country in 1910 and heir to his ancestor Vladek's mysterious powers. (today we would call this physic energy "mind control") However, his control oddly ended at the border of his country. Desperate for power, he devised a scheme to amplify his powers using a strange substance known then as Ogelium to be dispersed via an unknown method. (probably via the water supply) Thankfully, World War I intervened before he could enact his plan, and he scaled back his plans until 1918, when the war ended. He had stayed out of the conflict, and secretly built up his military in the process. In 1920 he lost his left eye in a accident with a small sample of Ogelium, after which William kept the glowing ruby-red socket behind an eye-patch from then on.

Determined once more to take over the world on his own terms,  in 1925 he contacted Lord Sam Sinister to get him objects of great supernatural power. This eventually led him to the un-named jungle island where he and Sinister actually beat Johnny Thunder and company to the treasure at the last minute. Determined not to share the treasure with anyone, Ogel greedily double-crossed Sinister and grabbed the "treasure" for himself and his army of mind-controlled soldiers. Sam then go into a sword fight with William, which William won, but at the price of his left hand.

Afterwards, it was revealed the treasure William took was fake, and than Johnny and Sam had joined forces to blow up the temple after the fight. This was done to prevent William from returning and getting the real deal. Furious, Ogel replaced his hand with one of Ogelium and permanently removed his patch so that anyone could see his scarred eye.

After having lost his country during a Great Depression-era revolution (started by Lord Sam Sinister in a grab for power which cost Sam his life) Ogel retreated to his island fortress, whereupon he plotted and schemed for around 30 years to regain his evil standing with the world. By the late 1950's, he had gained the notoriety of a urban legend, a myth mothers told their children to scare them to behave. But certain world leaders knew he was real, and still alive due to an mechanical encounter suit to keep him physically fit. After firing a nuclear rocket at the moon in 1965 to announce to his demands for world conquest (or else!), he was the subject of the newly-formed Alpha Team mission, which, helped by an aged Johnny Thunder, sank Ogel and his entire military base to the deep ocean depths.

In 1972, he reemerged from the depths using nuclear-mutated sea life to try to conquer the world once more, and was again stopped by Alpha Team. In 1978, he tried to freeze the world solid, in an "If I can't have it, neither can you" scenario, only to be stopped by Alpha team's leader, Agent Zed. In the process of fighting Zed, Ogel was finally defeated by destroying his encounter suit, revealing the frail, 85-year old man inside. Ogel's final act was to take a fatal does of Ogelium, killing him nearly instantly... but not before detonating a remote nuclear device, destroying Zed and much of Ogel Island.

....rumors persist, however, of a clone of Ogel running amok in the world, trying to regain his evil place in the world as late as 2009....

Comments, Questions, Suggestions, and Complaints are always welcome!

EDIT 12/8/2020: added the shark sub to the first post! 

Edited by Murdoch17

That is a nice concept for the Adventurers. :thumbup:

It reminds me a bit of the submarine of the Penguin from Batman.

The two grey dishes and the drill sort of make this look like a kind of aquatic creature. It's funny what just 3 pieces can do.

Edited by gamejutzu

5 hours ago, sander1992 said:

That is a nice concept for the Adventurers. :thumbup:

It reminds me a bit of the submarine of the Penguin from Batman.

Thanks! That set you are referring to is number 7885: Robin's Scuba Jet - Attack of the Penguin.

7885-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

I had that set in 2008 and tried to make the sub into the Yellow Submarine at that time. My how things come full circle!

59 minutes ago, gamejutzu said:

The two grey dishes and the drill sort of make this look like a kind of aquatic creature. It's funny what just 3 pieces can do.

They do don't they! I didn't realize it until you said that, but you are right. Maybe i should have named the sub "the Evil Unicorn", or maybe, to honor it's roots, "the Sinister Penguin"!

On 3/16/2017 at 3:34 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

A fine "sinister submarine".

Thanks Captain! (Sorry for the bump, but this build should be ordered soon.... I think.)

LDD file and pictures updated as of now with a newer model.

33347754251_abd2fccbca_z.jpg

Compare this...

36979349551_57f04af004_z.jpg

...to this!

Comments still welcome!

24678604607_8c6dd532a1_z.jpg

The model was updated again today, this time by being lengthened by eight more studs to allow for room inside, and a more side realistic profile.

33 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

The model was updated again today, this time by being lengthened by eight more studs to allow for room inside, and a more side realistic profile.

I think this is a perfect length, and I dig the shaping the arches and bows achieve on this. :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I think this is a perfect length, and I dig the shaping the arches and bows achieve on this. :thumbup:

Thanks for your kind words @Digger of Bricks! I think you might like the following add-on to the sub:

24693697637_05e3cf0b05_z.jpg

I built this Technic-built depressed center flat car for the 1920's car in the foreground, but then I thought why not do something a little more extravagant, something that will really turn heads...

Thus, I added Lord Sam Sinister's evil submarine (a stretched 21306 Yellow Submarine MOD) to the model, and it just barely fits! The model isn't particularly tall, as it's shorter than the Maersk train cars' inter-modal containers when double-stacked. There is even a prototype for this, with the CSS Hunley was carried like this on a flat-car in the US Civil War: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._L._Hunley_

Well, what do you guys think?

BUMP: (Sorry!)

43747682845_edc7932ca3_z.jpg

First post revised, and new pictures added of both the base and submarine.

Here is the story so far:

Twenty-seven years after the end of the roaring 1920's, and the demise of Lord Sam Sinister and his friends at the hands of Johnny Thunder & Co. plus the betrayal of Ogel by Sinister, Lord Ogel is ready to exact his revenge! (This event cost Sinister + his evil friends their lives, Ogel his hand, and submerged Ogel's highly advanced country beneath the waves of the North Atlantic in 1929 by way of a mysterious ancient super weapon, by the way.)

Now, in 1956, the presumed-dead Ogel is back: his cloaked underwater bases are finally ready to exact his final plan on the surface world: his skeleton drone armies and mutant sea animals are exacting heavy loses on trans-oceanic shipping, bringing down many, many tons of ships for the last six months. The surface nations are clueless, and are pointing fingers at each other as to who is responsible, escalating tension in a Cold War to the boiling point. Meanwhile, the now aged and retired Johnny Thunder is on all-expense-paid luxury cruise of the Caribbean, having just left Miami for the Bahamas. Little does he know an old enemy is waiting there to put a hole right through his plans... and the cruise ship!

Unbeknownst to either Lord Ogel or Johnny, a team of super-spies known as Alpha Team are also on board the cruise liner to keep tabs on Thunder, as he still carries a portion of the broken super weapon that sank Ogel's country on his person as a reminder of his guilt. Alpha Team want to procure the shard for the US Government to research it for a potential power source, but the sinking of the cruise ship by Ogel by his submarine's drill prevents that. Thunder ends up in the same boat as team leader Dash, while the rest of Alpha team end up in a separate life boat. Ogel pulls the two into his sub, taking the shard from Thunder after a brief struggle. Ogel reveals his master plan on the way to his sunken capital base.

Lord Ogel plans on causing WWIII between the superpowers by sinking enough ships to destabilize the countries enough that a large explosion (caused by the ancient staff on a coastal city or port on an allied city of either side) could result in a nuclear war. Then, Ogel will use his skeleton drones to rise from the seas to take over what's left of the surface world using the military weapons and supplies plucked from the ships they sank earlier.

It is at this point that the sub docks with the submerged base and Ogel beckons the two (now handcuffed) figures out of the ship and into the base proper, where a platoon of skeleton drones take the two deeper into the bowels of the base and far from Ogel....

Edited by Murdoch17

Funny that you are connecting the Alpha Team villain with the Adventurers.

Also nice to see that you used the 'old Star Wars' blasters. :tongue:

On 9/13/2018 at 3:00 PM, sander1992 said:

Funny that you are connecting the Alpha Team villain with the Adventurers.

Also nice to see that you used the 'old Star Wars' blasters. :tongue:

I just revised the back-story to this for Ogel to be a bit longer:

Born in 1893 as the last heir of the nation that bears his name, (Ogel) William Joseph Ogel was determined at an early age to rule his country with a iron fist. He became Lord (emperor, in effect)  of the country in 1910 and heir to his ancestor Vladek's mysterious powers. (today we would call this physic energy "mind control") However, his control oddly ended at the border of his country. Desperate for power, he devised a scheme to amplify his powers using a strange substance known then as Ogelium to be dispersed via an unknown method. (probably via the water supply) Thankfully, World War I intervened before he could enact his plan, and he scaled back his plans until 1918, when the war ended. He had stayed out of the conflict, and secretly built up his military in the process. In 1920 he lost his left eye in a accident with a small sample of Ogelium, after which William kept the glowing ruby-red socket behind an eye-patch from then on.

Determined once more to take over the world on his own terms,  in 1925 he contacted Lord Sam Sinister to get him objects of great supernatural power. This eventually led him to the un-named jungle island where he and Sinister actually beat Johnny Thunder and company to the treasure at the last minute. Determined not to share the treasure with anyone, Ogel greedily double-crossed Sinister and grabbed the "treasure" for himself and his army of mind-controlled soldiers. Sam then go into a sword fight with William, which William won, but at the price of his left hand.

Afterwards, it was revealed the treasure William took was fake, and than Johnny and Sam had joined forces to blow up the temple after the fight. This was done to prevent William from returning and getting the real deal. Furious, Ogel replaced his hand with one of Ogelium and permanently removed his patch so that anyone could see his scarred eye.

After having lost his country during a Great Depression-era revolution (started by Lord Sam Sinister in a grab for power which cost Sam his life) Ogel retreated to his island fortress, whereupon he plotted and schemed for around 30 years to regain his evil standing with the world. By the late 1950's, he had gained the notoriety of a urban legend, a myth mothers told their children to scare them to behave. But certain world leaders knew he was real, and still alive due to an mechanical encounter suit to keep him physically fit. After firing a nuclear rocket at the moon in 1965 to announce to his demands for world conquest (or else!), he was the subject of the newly-formed Alpha Team mission, which, helped by an aged Johnny Thunder, sank Ogel and his entire military base to the deep ocean depths.

In 1972, he reemerged from the depths using nuclear-mutated sea life to try to conquer the world once more, and was again stopped by Alpha Team. In 1978, he tried to freeze the world solid, in an "If I can't have it, neither can you" scenario, only to be stopped by Alpha team's leader, Agent Zed. In the process of fighting Zed, Ogel was finally defeated by destroying his encounter suit, revealing the frail, 85-year old man inside. Ogel's final act was to take a fatal does of Ogelium, killing him nearly instantly... but not before detonating a remote nuclear device, destroying Zed and much of Ogel Island.

....rumors persist, however, of a clone of Ogel running amok in the world, trying to regain his evil place in the world as late as 2009....

Comments, Questions, Suggestions, and Complaints are always welcome!

Nice sub & underwater base!  I've actually been planning on a similar re-sizing project for my Yellow Submarine kit I got last year (but keeping it as the Yellow Sub for John, Paul, Ringo & George to have various adventures & misadventures in my post-apocalyptic setting set 100 years from now).

Also love the large freight car you made for hauling the sub overland.

sorry for the large bump, but I finally got around to doing set 70656 (TLNM's garmadon, Garmadon, GARMADON!) in black instead of sand blue and without legs... making it a prime vehicle for Lord Ogel.

50695720052_b311cf75b3_z.jpg

I revised the color scheme to be suitably more evil and dark for Lord Ogel. I even added a single larger propeller to get more speed to the sub, though I removed the legs to make it truer to the submarine format. Oh, and the lower jaw still opens, though it is on click hinges now to keep it from flopping open.

50695720092_018d53c354_z.jpg

The rear of the sub. As you may have noticed, I truncated the lower real tail fin to make the ship sit flat on the table.

50695632891_ebe88a93e6_z.jpg

This submarine features two lift away roof sections: one for the tail gunner, and the other for Lord Ogel himself to drive / observe the chaos he causes through the rotating periscope!

More pictures will come when built later this month in real life. (or maybe early January 2021, depending on finances) Any thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17

11 hours ago, Ragana9289 said:

Loocs avesome!

Thanks! I added a major update to the base itself in the first post.

50699533452_48e26a42b0_z.jpg

Do you dare enter the home of Lord Ogel?