Khaled Yousef

[MOC] T-65 X-wing Starfighter

Here is my take on the iconic X-wing. Lots of builders have been bringing out some incredible models, and I decided to hop on the X-wing train and see if I can bring something interesting to the table.

1. The objective of the project: 

To build the perfect minifig scale X-wing and make it look like a mini UCS X-wing, not because I'm a genius, but because I'll be using the best design ideas inspired by the best X-wing builders out there.

2. The design guidelines:

• Accuracy in overall shape, scale and proportions.

• Convincingly accurate color scheme.

• Abundance of details.

• Sturdiness.

• Working S-foil mechanism.

• Modularity and easy assembly.

• Using the new windscreen.

• Detailed cockpit.

• Convenient R2 slot.

• Storage compartment.

32999583770_ae05caccd1_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - T-65 X-Wing 0 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

32999654660_0f7059b26d_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - T-65 X-Wing 1 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

33272089111_865e3e6883_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - T-65 X-Wing 3 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

33272089181_602c7dedb1_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - T-65 X-Wing 4 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

33272089281_ee7ec71619_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - T-65 X-Wing 5 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

33272089291_e143ed9865_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - T-65 X-Wing 6 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

33272089361_68bb877300_c.jpgLEGO Star Wars - T-65 X-Wing 7 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

The build:

The ILM model used in the CGI work is dirty white, while the life size model leans towards grey, so you pick the one you prefer; there is no definitive answer to that question. I chose white because the X-wing is a lot lighter than the Falcon, and the Falcon is definitely grey, so there is no other choice in LEGO except white. I tried however to darken the overall tone a bit by using grey and tan parts whenever possible to give it the battle scarred look.

I used red and dark red for marking to give it a dirty look while at the same time be able to use the original Red Five striped 1*4 tile on the wings. An all dark red markings would just make it look dark not dirty; dirty is more accurate.

I found that L-DI-EGO's and Inthert’s idea to use the 12*3, 4*2 & 3*3 wedge-plated to illustrate the nose to be the perfect solution. I just wish LEGO would make a 6*2 wedge plate so I could use it instead of the 4*2. I also think Inthert is the best builder to incorporate this idea to achieve the perfect overall shape.

I had to use the new windscreen because it's just gorgeous. The only problem with it is that it ends in 4 studs and doesn't taper inwards; it should taper inwards to 3 studs to fit seamlessly into the wedge plates of the nose. This caused a slight unavoidable gap between the wedge plates and the top of the nose. I’m working to fix this issue.

The build of the body is sturdy enough, and the wings are removable for easy maintenance of the s-foil mechanism and for easy storage. Psiaki was the first to inspire me to think outside of the box when it comes to designing the X-wing body; he was the first to use SNOT techniques, modularity and angled plates to make a more accurate overall shape for his X-wing than the official set.

The nose tip is a new design, I hope I managed to make it look as smooth as it should.

I used LEGO's S-foil mechanism with rubber bands, it's the best and most professional one to use, it opens easily with a twist of the top 2*2 round plate and snaps right back perfectly. I improved on LEGO's design by concealing the rubber bands so it won't look stupid.

I consider this model to be a work-in-progress, so any ideas to improve on this design would be much appreciated.

I intend to improve the S-foil mechanism by connecting the opposite wings to achieve more balance while keeping the core rubber band system, which is tough considering the tight space I have. I also want to add retractable landing gear inside the engines and the nose without compromising the shape or the integrity of the structure.

I hope I've succeeded in building a better and more accurate X-wing, worthy enough of the 40th anniversary celebration this year, bringing together the best ideas of the best builders out there with professional techniques from the official sets and some personal ideas of mine to make it look like the perfect minifig-scale X-wing.

I wanted to take more time to improve on this model, but I don't want to cause delay to my next MOC, which is going to be my best work ever, so I think I'll move on immediately to my next MOC, which will be "on the way at the speed of light".

Evening!

You have done an amazing job, the nose section is amazing! Your 40th anniversary Mocs are very impressive to say the least! Loving the x-ray style photo. :thumbup:

Kind regards, Ellis.

I like it a lot! I love how every t-65 MOC is different, and each one brings something new to the table.

VaderFan: thanks alot for your nice comment.

Ellisss: thanks, the x-ray shot was inspired by Inthert's Cross-Section shot, and I'll be adding engine details later.

Flandy: I'm glad I could bring something new to the table, alot of builders have been flexing their muscles with this particular model lately and the competition is tough, they're all amazing and each one brings a new idea. I got some ideas from your awesome X-wing too.

Honestly, the most impressive thing about this MOC is the Laser Cannons! You've finally managed to replicate the curved section at the tip in system scale!

Excellent build and nice to see other's take on what is already a highly refined model. I like the worn look you managed to incorporate.

Miro

From the Astromech unit port to the back enginees i think this looks quite spot on, however the whole nose area looks a bit odd to me. Maybe the use of tiles over the wedge plate or the angle of the canopy i don't really know, it could be however that i'm too used to seeing mine :grin:, but if i'm being honest i'm being too nitpicky lol, the X-Wing is one of the hardest models to do afterall.

Regards !

-Prime

Thanks FTG, but what's wrong with the angle of the canopy? Looking at the source material, my canopy looks closer to the correct angle tilting upwards compared to say, the official set, which is flat and wrong.

10 hours ago, Khaled Yousef said:

Thanks FTG, but what's wrong with the angle of the canopy? Looking at the source material, my canopy looks closer to the correct angle tilting upwards compared to say, the official set, which is flat and wrong.

Yeah i get that, perphaps i said things in the wrong way, the nose is were i personally have some issues, may be that it looks a bit chubby maybe make it a bit longer ?

Alright, my X-wing needs a nose-job :grin:

I think the problem you’re talking about can be fixed if LEGO would make a 2*12 wedge-plate, which would work better than the 3*12 I’m using, and might make it little less chubby. I’m working on it anyway, at least to fix the gaps between the wedges and the mid-section.

Wait… now my X-wing is crying. You keep saying bad things about her nose and you hurt her feelings. What am I going to do now?