David Thomsen

Future Pirates Speculation

I had hoped for new potc line - besides the new ship that is - if it isnt based on some license I doubt we will get anything serious any time soon. Probably just another rehash - treasure island, outpost-mini fort, ship - maybe some monkeys ☺

On 17.5.2017 at 1:25 PM, Dreamweb said:

Count me in as the one who thinks we will have some new pirate sets when the 30th anniversary is here.

What I would really like to see is a smaller ship with completely new narrow hull pieces, similar to the old Imperial Flagship or Armada Flagship...

I also think, that a narrower shiphull would be a nice thing. There would be place for a second ship in  a lineup without having two ships too similiar in size without having an 'Imperial Flagship' type one (Although it was only 120 or 140€ back then). The alternative would be planning two waves of pirates (What a dream) with one big fortress and one ship each. After trying to build some of the sets I imagined in LDD(I should upload pictures) I think that a new raised groundplate would be really usefull, but I don't think TLC still likes them.

Edited by mon-o-mat

Over on the 2018 Nexo Knights topic, EB user @Falconfan1414 has told us that the Nexo Knights theme may be drawing to a close, and also that a successor theme will be arriving most likely come January 2019.

So it just hit me this morning. What if this potential upcoming "big bang" theme may draw inspiration from the Pirates theme, given 2019 will be the theme's thirtieth anniversary? How would you feel about a "big bang" take on Pirates; and, if you didn't mind the idea, how would you want to see such a theme done and/or not done? :shrug_oh_well:

"Big Bang" meaning with a lot of media-support and so? I would like it if it would be mystical kinda like PotC with sea-monsters, native witches and ancient ruins.  But not another tech/history mix.

6 minutes ago, mon-o-mat said:

"Big Bang" meaning with a lot of media-support and so?

Yes, since that's how Lego seems to roll with themes like that now.

7 minutes ago, mon-o-mat said:

I would like it if it would be mystical kinda like PotC with sea-monsters, native witches and ancient ruins.  But not another tech/history mix.

Definitely agree with you on that direction, but as far as tech goes, I wouldn't mind seeing DaVinci-Punk/Clockpunk technology incorporated into the theme. Taking the theme into the "smartphone app" high tech route again would just be ridiculous.

Clock-punk pirates would be fun! If this did happen, it would be interesting to see what some of the cheaper sets turn out like...

Just now, J4ck said:

Clock-punk pirates would be fun! If this did happen, it would be interesting to see what some of the cheaper sets turn out like...

I never watched the movie, since it was poorly received by critics, but this 2011 adaptation of The Three Musketeers has been described by some as having Clockpunk qualities. Perhaps it could serve as an idea for a theme that sits in this sort of vein.

IMDb - The Three Musketeers (2011)

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I never watched the movie, since it was poorly received by critics, but this 2011 adaptation of The Three Musketeers has been described by some as having Clockpunk qualities. Perhaps it could serve as an idea for a theme that sits in this sort of vein.

IMDb - The Three Musketeers (2011)

I watched it, I enjoyed it. Isn't clockpunk and steam punk sorta the same thing?

Edited by J4ck
Changed "click pink" into "clock punk"

3 hours ago, J4ck said:

Isn't clockpunk and steam punk sorta the same thing?

Yes, but if the setting involves a world where steam combustion hasn't come into being, but clockwork automation is prominent in spite of that, then it would therefore be described as Clockpunk. Here I have posted below Wikipedia's definition:

Wikipedia - Cyberpunk Derivatives (Clockpunk)

Clockpunk portrays Renaissance-era science and technology based on pre-modern designs, in the vein of Mainspring by Jay Lake, and Whitechapel Gods by S. M. Peters. Examples of clockpunk include Astro-Knights Island in the nonlinear game Poptropica, the 2011 film version of The Three Musketeers, the game Thief: The Dark Project, and the game Syberia.

The term was coined by the GURPS role playing system.

12 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Yes, but if the setting involves a world where steam combustion hasn't come into being, but clockwork automation is prominent in spite of that, then it would therefore be described as Clockpunk. Here I have posted below Wikipedia's definition:

Oh brilliant! Thank you very much!

18 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I prefer calling a heavy mix of Pre-Steam Punk and Pirates Bilge-Punk, personally.

They're close to figuring out how Steam Combustion works, but the Pirates pour anything into the Engines, Salt Water, Swill, Rum, and with varying, often times disastrous, results. 

I don't generally acknowledge The Brick Show, because a number of their videos betray a lack of knowledge of Lego's history, but they have images of a Pirates themed rollercoaster Creator set. I'm not going to link the posting because even they acknowledge that the images aren't officially released, and may get them in trouble with TLG. I only saw it because Model Building Secrets shared it on Facebook.

I mention this here because I think this does not bode well for an actual Pirates theme. The potentially costly nature of this set is obviously a point to the idea that a classic Pirates theme appeals more to adults than to children.