David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

29 minutes ago, Sneaky Melarky said:

I'm not saying it's nothing but it's entirely possible that LEGO was just trying to be tongue and cheek.

28 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Also don't think it's "mean-spirited" to make a goofy meme with Lego pirates without it relating to an upcoming set. It's a joke for parents to laugh at and share with their friends, it's not their fault if people assume it has to have some deeper meaning.

Exactly. The post probably means nothing - they just want to post something pirate-themed.

This has probably been asked before, but I'm new, so here goes: what sets would your dream pirate wave consist of?

Pirates could very well be some theme LEGO would do something (could be small) for as part of 90th anniversary , I know a lot of theory has been going by the 1 big set from 1 theme type of deal, but 60th anniversary of brick had multiple sets as well, with that microscale GWP barracuda ship(as part of a 4-build), and then pirate builds and accesoires in the Building Bigger Thinking version of "Classic" sets that year.

I don't think a single set of a single theme could celebrate 90 years of LEGO unless it's a collection pack of many vignettes akin to the chinese traditions set from 2022.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, Jiesdeo said:

what sets would your dream pirate wave consist of?

Just one - a pirate pub. :pir-devil:

2 hours ago, Jiesdeo said:

This has probably been asked before, but I'm new, so here goes: what sets would your dream pirate wave consist of?

I second pirate pub, but also a proper treasure island. Basically I'd like some sets that focus on pirates and their habitats, instead of soldiers.

48 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Just one - a pirate pub. :pir-devil:

12 minutes ago, zinnn said:

I second pirate pub, but also a proper treasure island. Basically I'd like some sets that focus on pirates and their habitats, instead of soldiers.

I would personally like a set with some civilians, so a pub (that is also visited by pirates) could be one option. Or an updated version of 6277 Imperial Trading Post.

3 hours ago, Jiesdeo said:

Well I think most of the sets I want would work well with either the PotC license or the Pirates theme.

For sets that could work with both properties:

Tortuga pub/ Pirate pub - Could be a fun set with an interior design and some harlots, drunken sailors, maybe some play features with barrels of rum. :pir-huzzah1:

HMS Endeavour/ Blue coat flagship - An enormous ship similar to the Imperial flagship, with several canons, many blue coat soldiers and detailed decks.

Kraken Attacks - A set featuring a proper brick built Kraken with a mouth with rows of teeth and maybe a dingy with a pirate or two for it to attack.

Treasure Island - Could have lots of green and sand builds with tropical trees, a water fountain with some sort of gimmick, a treasure, a crew looking for said treasure, typical pirate stuff.

Port Royal/ Imperial docks - A big set with a few docks for you to store your ships with some added details such as crates, some towers with some officers and it could come with a sinking dingy with a pirate on it, and some play feature involving an escape with cranes. :pir-grin:

Pirate prison - A fort with a bunch of cells and prisoners inside, guards and a dog that carries around the cell keys.

For PotC only:

Flying Dutchman - Based on the second or third movie with new Davy Jones and some of his crew along with a new Will, I still don't understand why Lego missed out on making this one when the fifth movie came out, they could've even made cursed Will and some of the crew to go with him.

New Black Pearl - The Black Pearl from 2011 simply doesn't cut it, it's too small and looks nothing like the iconic ship from the movies, could be based on the first movie and come with cursed skeleton crew or the other movies and come with more of Jack's crew such as Pintel and Ragetti and a new parrot and monkey, again Lego completely missed another opportunity at making this and tbh I don't think they'll ever make them again.

That's about it, there's some other stuff I would like to see but those are the ones that would probably translate better into actual sets.

Edited by _R_R_

49 minutes ago, zinnn said:

I second pirate pub

35 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

I would personally like a set with some civilians, so a pub

21 minutes ago, _R_R_ said:

Pirate pub

Seems like I might have started a little revolution over here @Mister Phes:pir-devil:

2 hours ago, _R_R_ said:

HMS Endeavour/ Blue coat flagship - An enormous ship similar to the Imperial flagship, with several canons, many blue coat soldiers and detailed decks.

Port Royal/ Imperial docks - A big set with a few docks for you to store your ships with some added details such as crates, some towers with some officers and it could come with a sinking dingy with a pirate on it, and some play feature involving an escape with cranes. :pir-grin:

:pir-huzzah2:

I still have a feeling that pirates will make a return this year! I feel like lego pulled Barracuda Bay too early compared to the tree house and other ideas sets. This could be a sign of a new wave or a new set coming this year, they wouldn't want their new stuff competing with the ideas set. Just a theory but I have a good feeling about it!

5 hours ago, azog said:

I still have a feeling that pirates will make a return this year! I feel like lego pulled Barracuda Bay too early compared to the tree house and other ideas sets. This could be a sign of a new wave or a new set coming this year, they wouldn't want their new stuff competing with the ideas set. Just a theory but I have a good feeling about it!

Spoiler

From all the leaks I've seen there is zero indication we're getting anything related to Pirates this year.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:22 PM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

I'll send you a PM of how you might be able to buy many KO black hull pieces for low prices.

I ended up getting a PotC set and some minifigures I missed out on back then, the Pearl project looks like it'll be extremely challenging, the video game model's structure isn't very strong, so I may end up having to completely change that.

5 hours ago, _R_R_ said:

I ended up getting a PotC set and some minifigures I missed out on back then, the Pearl project looks like it'll be extremely challenging, the video game model's structure isn't very strong, so I may end up having to completely change that.

If it is any help, I recall there was a 3D model of the video game version available.

Here it is (you can click on the 3D model button to view so):

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=15593

All I can say is that the structure inside is not that sturdy (like ye said) and it's very complex. Due to it, there is almost no room left in the captain's cabin. If you want an interior for minifigures, then I suggest you drastically chnage it, though I have no idea how could the structure be changed without any differences on the outside.

Ye will have to break a few fortress walls for this project. :pir-devil:

10 hours ago, azog said:

I still have a feeling that pirates will make a return this year! I feel like lego pulled Barracuda Bay too early compared to the tree house and other ideas sets. This could be a sign of a new wave or a new set coming this year, they wouldn't want their new stuff competing with the ideas set.

I have a feeling that either Lego is making one Creator and one Ideas set with these classic themes or they might do something similar to Lego City farm, by making one new set every year.

Edited by Jack Sassy

4 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

If it is any help, I recall there was a 3D model of the video game version available.

Here it is (you can click on the 3D model button to view so):

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=15593

All I can say is that the structure inside is not that sturdy (like ye said) and it's very complex. Due to it, there is almost no room left in the captain's cabin. If you want an interior for minifigures, then I suggest you drastically chnage it, though I have no idea how could the structure be changed without any differences on the outside.

Ye will have to break a few fortress walls for this project. :pir-devil:

Yes, I actually got an LDD model from Captain Jack Sparrow on here years ago and I have closely studied the model on Bricklink and one other on Mecabricks, I've come to the conclusion I'd likely have to sacrifice the whole interior to create support structures if I want the outside to look like what we see in the game, I could also compromise and alter the design so I can have at least one deck and the captain's cabin, the real tricky part is the rear of the ship and the windows.

I shall! :cannon:

4 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

I have a feeling that either Lego is making one Creator and one Ideas set with these classic themes or they might do something similar to Lego City farm, by making one new set every year.

I hate to be a downer but I wouldn't expect anything this year. :pir-sceptic:

5 hours ago, _R_R_ said:

I hate to be a downer but I wouldn't expect anything this year. :pir-sceptic:

The only hope would be something for Lego's 90th anniversary, but even that I see as a slim chance.

I'm positive!

Even if TLG called it quits with Pirates for all eternity, I would still be happy and thankful. All these brilliant sets we were gifted with throughout the years. And what a way to finish it, with the Barracuda Bay set! One of the most massive and ambitious sets in the history of LEGO. If Pirates became something of the past, I would still collect MISB sets and enjoy the MOC aspect of designing and planting new projects to occupy myself.

Lego will never die!

Spoiler

...... but a new Imperial Trading Post would still be nice!

14 minutes ago, AViewToALego said:

I'm positive!

Even if TLG called it quits with Pirates for all eternity, I would still be happy and thankful. All these brilliant sets we were gifted with throughout the years. And what a way to finish it, with the Barracuda Bay set! One of the most massive and ambitious sets in the history of LEGO. If Pirates became something of the past, I would still collect MISB sets and enjoy the MOC aspect of designing and planting new projects to occupy myself.

Lego will never die!

Reveal hidden contents

...... but a new Imperial Trading Post would still be nice!

Can I just say this is one of the most positive and level-headed nostalgic sentiments I've seen in the AFOL community? It's very much how I feel about some of the themes I've loved over the years like Exo-Force, Agents, or Elves (which I personally think are a lot LESS likely to make a return in the future given that their focus on specific stories and characters make them much harder to pick up where they left off or reboot effectively compared to more "generic" themes). Being able to appreciate themes for what they were and not just what you wished they could have been is, I think, a true marker of quality themes, and continued engagement with that through MOCs and enjoying classic sets feels like a healthier way to engage with them than simply complaining about the things that, at least for the time being, have taken their place.

Again, though, I doubt Pirates is gone for good even if it's not visible on the immediate horizon. It's still a rich vein of storytelling to mine and Lego has a long history of revisiting theme ideas once they've had some time out of the spotlight. And arguably with the Creator theme branching more and more into sci-fi and historic subject matter instead of just modern-day subjects, there's even more potential for future Pirate sets even outside of a full theme revival.

I do hope that LEGO goes forward with the retro reissues sets for being part of that rumored lego subscription program to be honest.  
It would put it over the top if there could be a continuation that way.  I do know now that the line is completely dead, we have seen leaks and rumors of everything else but pirates and castle, damn not even the Viking ship is nowhere near any horizon as of yet.

Lego clearly wants to pay licensing fees over going for something more in house… like A-View-To-Lego Mentioned for sure, the Barracuda Bay was their swan song and ultimate set that’s literally what lego is currently capable of for the time being.

I Just hope they stick to their guns and let us purchase old sets, but what I wouldn’t do to see a huge imperial outpost or at least some kind of pirate or Spanish compound.  

Even if the remake the pirates of the Caribbean sets with the new movie later on would be beast….

I take it back we did get a Viking ship, but it’s a marvel set… 

Edited by eldiano

3 hours ago, eldiano said:

I take it back we did get a Viking ship, but it’s a marvel set…

Weren't there sources that said there is going to be a Creator Viking ship this year? I hope it doesn't mean the Marvel one.

I have nothing more to add about future Pirates sets. All I know is that Pirates would sell rather well, so why shouldn't Lego do it? 

It wouldn't hurt for them to make a pirate pub, would it? :pir-devil:

13 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Weren't there sources that said there is going to be a Creator Viking ship this year? I hope it doesn't mean the Marvel one.

I have nothing more to add about future Pirates sets. All I know is that Pirates would sell rather well, so why shouldn't Lego do it? 

It wouldn't hurt for them to make a pirate pub, would it? :pir-devil:

That’s what I’m saying, haha I thought it was a creator set and with a majority releasing in spring I am curious to see what happens if it comes out like the medieval castle did back in June/august, but I’m holding out on it anymore…. 

THen I saw the marvel set and I’m like oh, look Viking ship oh noes.

19 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Don't worry, the Creator 3-in-1 Viking ship is a separate set (set number 31132 according to the leaks/rumors I've seen).

On 2/25/2022 at 7:37 PM, Aanchir said:

Don't worry, the Creator 3-in-1 Viking ship is a separate set (set number 31132 according to the leaks/rumors I've seen).

Thanks for the reassurance!

On 2/25/2022 at 8:37 PM, Aanchir said:

Ahahahaha, I had the same reaction upon seeing that otherwise cute and wacky (goat-less) marvel viking ship

On 2/23/2022 at 6:45 PM, Lyichir said:

Can I just say this is one of the most positive and level-headed nostalgic sentiments I've seen in the AFOL community?

Hey, that's a great compliment! :pir-sweet:

And I agree with you about the older branches of sets, It would be exciting to get a new branch of Western back for instance. But these "3-in-1" sets offers a great optimism for the future. If TLG sticks to the concept of releasing a "theme" every year, it would be really neat and something to look forward every summer. Last year we got a Castle set, this year a Viking set (allegedly), so what will be released next year? Really exciting!!!

But, you know when I first discovered Bricklink it was like stepping inside a parallel universe. For a long time I didn't even know Caribbean Clipper EXISTED (Now I own 3, lol) and I completely missed out on the first waves of Pirates. My first Redcoat I got was from 6237. I always assumed the blue Imperial Torso (found at my friends home) was a misprint. Had no clue! That was untill I first encountered an image of the ship on Altavista. We had no internet in our home in the 90's.

OK, be right back! I'm gonna stare at my MISB-sets for a while! (therapy!) :pir_laugh2:

Edited by AViewToALego