David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

On 6/16/2021 at 11:21 PM, TeriXeri said:

71391 Bowsers Airship might be of interest to Pirate Fans / Shipbuilders, multiple ship parts in Medium Nougat .

On 6/16/2021 at 11:32 PM, icm said:

The Bowser airship looks so much better than the Piggy Pirate Ship or the Sea Cow, IMO. It's still a caricature, but less exaggerated. It looks more like a real ship than either of those two. The nougat colored hull pieces are great. Too bad it only comes with one hull center segment and one hull bow base. Otherwise it would be too easy to rearrange the two hull bow upper parts into a proper pirate ship, I guess. I haven't bought any Super Mario sets, but I think I'd buy this one if I hadn't already bought the 21322 and the 31109 last year.

Yeah, quite interested in the Bowser Airship, can get two, use the bow pieces for both the bow and stern of the ship like the old Pirate ships. 

Creator 3 in 1 pirate ship is double VIP points today, a set I bought 2 of already, why Lego???!!! 😭😭😭

On 6/22/2021 at 9:48 AM, eldiano said:

Creator 3 in 1 pirate ship is double VIP points today, a set I bought 2 of already, why Lego???!!! 😭😭😭

They're really pushing hard for you to build that third model! :tongue:

Since this is a speculation topic and all, I'm curious… if LEGO were to make another Pirates-inspired 3-in-1 set, what sort of models do you think would be a cool or fitting choice?

Obviously, if they decided to do another ship, they wouldn't be limited to the same size/price point as the current 3-in-1 Pirate Ship. Brick-built hull and sail techniques like the ones in that set could just as easily work for a smaller ship with, say, a 12-stud-wide hull, which is something we haven't seen in the Pirates theme since the 90s. Some potential alternate builds for another ship like that would be a "shipwreck hideout" like the Forbidden Island/Pirate Island set from 1989, or a Swiss Family Robinson style tree fort for a pirate castaway.

A 3-in-1 set with models like that could also function as a kid-friendly, low-budget alternative to the LEGO Ideas Barracuda Bay and Tree House sets, sort of like this year's 3-in-1 Space Shuttle Adventure set is to some of the big NASA-based exclusives that are currently on the market. That said, it's possible that "castaway tree fort" and "shipwreck hideout" might be too conceptually similar to stand out from one another as alternate builds of a single set. If so, there are probably plenty of other possibilities you could come up with using these sorts of parts, like a shipyard with a masting sheer, or a coastal/inland merchant boat that reuses the main model's sail components as a tent-like roof/shelter.

A set focusing on an Imperial/naval faction would be another way to help it stand out from the existing 3-in-1 Pirate Ship, although I think it'd still likely need a fair amount of emphasis on the Pirates themselves, since they are the "hook" (no pun intended) that gets a lot of younger kids interested in the "Age of Sail" to begin with. The 3-in-1 Pirate Roller Coaster set is a pretty good sign that a 3-in-1 set with  colonial fort aesthetics can work as long as there's enough context to communicate to kids that the model is pirate-themed. So I suspect they could just as easily manage something like that in a set with an actual historic setting rather than a theme park setting.

There are a number of different alternate models a 3-in-1 colonial fort set could have. One obvious one that comes to mind would be a lighthouse, since those are popular subject matter in Creator 3-in-1 that would also be very appropriate to a 17th/18th century time period, and could easily be designed from the same sort of parts and colors as the main model. In fact, if it helped the set sell, a lighthouse could even be presented as the MAIN model, with a colonial fort/outpost as one of the alternate builds. Another possibility would be a less militarized harbour/trading post/"Free Port", like the Lagoon Lock-Up/Soldiers' Tavern set, or a smaller version of the Imperial Trading Post/Port Royal set.

In fact, thinking about it again… a model with these three builds (fort, lighthouse, and civilian trading post) is beginning to sound like a Pirates equivalent of the 3-in-1 Medieval Castle. And that, in turn, gets me thinking that you could even potentially design these sets so that they could link together, either in a similar "walled city" layout to the Medieval Castle, or via interconnected piers like the 2015 Soldiers Outpost and Soldiers Fort.

Also, as a fan of some of the creature-focused 3-in-1 sets we've seen, I also think it'd be cool to see one sort of like the various dragon/mythical creature sets the theme has had, but focusing on "sea monsters"… like, say, a kraken, a sea serpent, and… I dunno, a giant crab maybe? Certainly the 3-in-1 Deep Sea Creatures set shows that this theme is capable of some outstandingly lifelike shaping and articulation using curved slopes and Mixel joints. So I can easily picture a "sea monster" focused 3-in-1 set at a somewhat higher price point being even MORE impressive!

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Since this is a speculation topic and all, I'm curious… if LEGO were to make another Pirates-inspired 3-in-1 set, what sort of models do you think would be a cool or fitting choice?

Anything Soldiers/Imperial/Armada land-based fortress/harbour would be welcome.

I don't think Islander  are that likely in Creator, and Ninjago Season 14 still being sold.

I just don't expect many new or returning old moulds in 3-in-1 theme figures like King Kahuka mask. I think an 18+ AFOL islanders island set combining elements of multiple sets , might work better with bigger budget to bring back proper nostalgia design like the Barracuda Bay, that also could get new printed flags and such.

But back to Creator, if it's a large set,  a 3-in-1 Eldorado Fortress / Imperial Trading Post and a 3rd build being a hybrid of Sabre Island/Imperial Outpost/Cannon Cove etc, not sure how Creator would cover specific imperial/soldier faction but maybe have brick built flags and some more generic figures instead of strict red and blue ones, so that the figures can double as both more pirates, or soldiers.

Maybe I'm thinking too simple here, I'm not sure what's more popular overall, 3 very different builds, or 3 builds that can form 1 larger one. The Pirate ship did pull off the builds well, but it did require a lot of building tricks of using and hiding certain colors, while a more cohesive set like the medieval castle allows easier entry into expanding MOCing with less color tricks and more basic parts that dont need to be hidden.

For example the Tournament of Elements set had a teal admiral-ish torso , teal might be too bright, but the print doesn't strictly signal Soldier or Imperial.

njo636.png

The Pirate Rollercoaster set ticket booth area reminded me of Lagoon Lock-Up , and has the same style.

6267-1.jpg.31084-1.jpg?201805220828

Edited by TeriXeri

21 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Anything Soldiers/Imperial/Armada land-based fortress/harbour would be welcome.

I don't think Islander  are that likely in Creator, and Ninjago Season 14 still being sold.

I guess I was a little vague about this in my post, but I was honestly referring to future 3-in-1 possibilities in general, not just in the immediate future. So that would include possibilities for after that particular wave of Ninjago sets has retired.

22 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I just don't expect many new or returning old moulds in 3-in-1 theme figures like King Kahuka mask. I think an 18+ AFOL islanders island set combining elements of multiple sets , might work better with bigger budget to bring back proper nostalgia design like the Barracuda Bay, that also could get new printed flags and such.

Even if LEGO created a full Islander-inspired wave of Pirates sets, I'm not sure they'd be interested in bringing back the classic mask design used for King Kahuka/Chief Quextil — particularly since the feather component used to "complete" his mask is also long-retired. They might be just as likely to opt for an entirely new mask mold, or for reusing the one from the Island Warrior. King Kahuka was certainly one of my childhood favorite LEGO figures (and I even dressed up as him for Halloween back when I was 4 years old or so), but aside from the nostalgic appeal for 90s kids like me, there'd be little incentive for LEGO to bring back that specific mold.

By comparison, other "historic" headgear molds form the 90s that we've seen brought back from retirement for the CMFs or other sets (like the morion helmet, nemes headdress, ninja mask, samurai helmet, Native American war bonnet, and bycocket hat) resemble their real-world and/or pop culture equivalents closely enough that even a complete newbie to LEGO can immediately recognize what they're based on or inspired by.

In any case, if LEGO were to try and make new "Islanders" style sets in a historical or historical fantasy setting, I would hope that they'd try to come up with more culturally and historically authentic figure and set designs than the ones back in the 90s. A good comparison is the degree of research and consulation with experts from indigenous Polynesian communities that went into developing the movie Moana, particularly compared to 90s Disney films like Aladdin and Pocahontas that were rife with Eurocentric stereotypes of the cultures they were based on.

39 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

but aside from the nostalgic appeal for 90s kids like me, there'd be little incentive for LEGO to bring back that specific mold.

Agree, I was maybe a bit too nostalgic on my previous post as well (Perhaps due to Barracuda Bay being pretty much the opposite of what 3-in-1 theme tries to be)

I think the 3-in-1 Ship/Skull-Island/Tavern set tactic of having 3 very different sets would work well for Pirates, but that also depends on the size of the set. 

For a smaller set something like a fort or 2-3 different smaller boats probably works well, larger sets have more parts to work with to do more diverse alternate builds.

I don't expect another large Pirate-Crew set until barracuda bay retires, but after that, it might open up a 3-in-1 version of a shipwreck island outpost + ship build.

I'd love to see a set with larger amount of palm leaves as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

I would think an Armada 3-in-1 could be done like the current Medieval Castle 3-in-1. It would be an interesting challenge.

55 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

I would think an Armada 3-in-1 could be done like the current Medieval Castle 3-in-1. It would be an interesting challenge.

True, the white parts of an Armada Ship could be reused into some structure in some way.

Overall Black/White/Blue/Green should be a good color scheme to work with for a 3-in-1, as green and blue can be reused for land/sea sections.

Edited by TeriXeri

I think a small 1 mast ship the size of the boat in Imperial Trading post should be easily doable in a 3-in-1 set, the ship in that set had a trading logo, and brick built sails for a smaller ship shouldn't be that difficult, while the white/black parts can be used in other builds .

008.jpg

(brick built) Sails of the boat could be Tan or Light Grey or something to be easier reused into a beach or building.

A 3-in-1 Trading post type set might be an interesting concept, could be build wide, or tall, or have a boat , and something with ropes to have a crane.

Maybe something like a combination of 79013: Lake-town Chase , or 7029: Skeleton Ship Attack but more Pirates style, so a bit more colorful with white/yellow/darkred, and more dock area.

tn_79013_alt4_jpg.jpgtn_7029-0000-xx-33-2_jpg.jpg 

Obviously a similar thing was done with 31109 Pirate Ship but that main build did focus on the boat , but it does serve as a starting point to building a Pirate/Seaside town, and doesn't have any fortifications.

31109_alt5.jpg

Another 3-in-1 concept would be more Islander style, with a lot more grey, red and green to have something like a rocky jungle set in various layouts, maybe with a islander-esque statue in 1 build, and more rocky/cave/skull in another, also wouldn't need to be the biggest size of set if it doesn't have a dedicated boat build, maybe a small canoe from bricks, maybe some small traps and hinged parts to hide things.

70604: Tiger Widow Island and 6264: Forbidden Cove are almost the same concept and colors and gives a decent idea how a modern rocky/palmtree island could look, altho creator would probably be a bit rougher with less specialized plant parts.

70604_alt3.jpg6264-1.jpg

And yet another smaller set could be a tower like Sabre island , either 1 large tower, or some wider lower build, with water around it, perhaps a small rowboat in one of the builds, and a cannon.

This is the idea for mid-sized sets , imagine if this had mostly piratey colors and parts, main build could be hinged, second build tall + boat, 3rd build could be a wider build, now imagine a small shark or monkey as animal build.

tn_31118_alt2_jpg.jpgtn_31118_alt3_jpg.jpgtn_31118_alt10_jpg.jpg

Figures/Parts/Colors could use an overall a more generic approach instead of trying to strictly replicate old factions

Edited by TeriXeri

Ideas has done it again. There is an IG leak of a good sized GWP, a small sailboat with brick built sails. And I do mean brick, not plates.

24 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Ideas has done it again. There is an IG leak of a good sized GWP, a small sailboat with brick built sails. And I do mean brick, not plates.

Can you link it, or screenshot it?

9 hours ago, gedren_y said:

It looks like a recreational sailing vessel rather than anything directly related to pirates...

image.png

image.png

10 hours ago, Balkcuga said:

Can you link it, or screenshot it?

I don't recall much of it but apparently it is a contest winner from a year ago (not really sure if it was a year ago).

52 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

It looks like a recreational sailing vessel rather than anything directly related to pirates...

Aye, that be true. Here's the original vessel:

resize_800_450-1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

image.png

image.png

Yeah, not a Pirates set, but still a boat.

52 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

I don't recall much of it but apparently it is a contest winner from a year ago (not really sure if it was a year ago).

Aye, that be true. Here's the original vessel:

resize_800_450-1.jpeg

Looks alright, i would prefer a Imperial Fort.

1 hour ago, Jack Sassy said:

It was called the "Build that holiday into THAT holiday!" contest which ran June 12th, 2020 (Submission intake) to June 26th, 2020 (Fan Voting Closes)

image.png

Sailing Ship Adventure

Have you ever wanted to travel around the world, sailing away on your own ship on the turquoise waters amongst the dolphins? With this little sailing boat model you could do all that and enjoy a beautiful sunset at sea.

The whole model contains exactly 250 parts. There are 216 parts for the boat (sails and mast: 69; cabin: 24; frame: 123) Then I used up the remaining parts for added features: Dolphins: 9; Palm tree: 16; Minifigures: 8; seagull: 1.
The body itself is buildable, composed of slope elements and lateral curved plates joined at their extremeties; this allowed to maximize inner space, add a wooden floor and a sturdy support for the mast. Sails are also brick-built. The cabin can be removed to show the inner rest space. Sails can rotate, just make sure you untie the ropes first! An anchor and a few gold elements completes the ship.

For minifigures I imagined a romantic pair. That sailor was an immediate participant; as soon as he heard a ship was made, he jumped on board!

LEGO Ideas Contest Page

14 minutes ago, Balkcuga said:

Yeah, not a Pirates set, but still a boat.

Which could be turned into a pirate ship... :monkey:

Just now, Mister Phes said:

Which could be turned into a pirate ship... :monkey:

A gunboat, to be precise.

1 minute ago, Jack Sassy said:

A gunboat, to be precise.

Would also make a suitable Flame Ship... :pir-grin:

23 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Would also make a suitable Flame Ship... :pir-grin:

I'd be settled for a fleet of those.

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

40515-1.jpg?202105100618

They really have to release the good stuff as VIP add-on.

When she looked inside, she saw Buy Fallout 76 items.
 They were mostly Buy Fallout 76 items and you have to know that there was nothing nicer for Lucia,
 Buy Fallout 76 items. Without hesitating a moment, she walked into the wardrobe and Buy Fallout 76 items Of course,
 she didn't forget to leave the door open, as she knew it was very stupid to accidentally lock herself in the wardrobe. 
She took a step or two down and found that Buy Fallout 76 items It was almost completely dark here,
 and Lucy held her hands out in front of her to Buy Fallout 76 items. She took one more step forward,
 then two or three more, still expecting to be Buy Fallout 76 items. But nothing of the sort happened.
"It must be Buy Fallout 76 items," she thought as she continued to move on and parting her soft furs to make room for herself. 
Suddenly she noticed that Buy Fallout 76 items "It's probably Buy Fallout 76 items,"
 she thought and bent down to touch them with her hand. But instead of hard and smooth wood the floor felt Buy Fallout 76 items

https://odealo.com/games/fallout-76/items

Edited by Kuklas

1 hour ago, Kuklas said:

What do you think about it?

Humans are highly memetical creatures who constantly interpret concepts, both conscious and unconsciously.

But what does this have to do with LEGO Pirate speculation?

I hate brick sails, but that’s just me, cloth sails in my opinion made me think of a time when i was kid where i used fans to propel ships in the tub, brick sails would sit there haha.  

The creator 31109 is the closest thing we will ever get to a pirate gunboat than this idea sailboat to be honest. 

I hate creator sets, in my opinion i don’t have the room to dump all the bricks to create all the variants haha but still.  Here’s a tiny mod of what could had been an amazing set if they do decide to focus on future sets hehe 

Maybe we could have gotten a dedicated styled pub called “Captain’s Inn” hehe

rKXNiRh.jpg

6iFgvpz.jpg

VZjFWXQ.jpg

IIZFB06.jpg

lr7QCYQ.jpg

0Hmk4PW.jpg

On 7/7/2021 at 11:14 AM, Kuklas said:

I recently heard an interesting theory that having a fictional story / world "forces" children to recreate stories that other people told in this world.
 After all, the fictional world is not described in more detail than the real world that allegedly inspired the general theme of Pirates.
 Moreover, telling stories to children provides them with the tools and techniques to tell their own stories, just as giving children building instructions provides
 them with tools and techniques that they can use to create better creations of their own. The idea that children's creativity is best stimulated by
 depriving them of external influences in no way reflects how the creative process actually works. New ideas are not generated from a vacuum, 
they are created by combining different ideas that you have gathered from different sources.
 What do you think about it?

Most kids' knowledge of pirates and the world they inhabited come from fictional stories about them anyway (or at best, highly simplified descriptions of the actual history that is made digestible for younger readers). The Lego Pirates themes in general probably owe more to fictionalized stories of piracy like Treasure Island and Peter Pan than they do to the historical realities of the Age of Sail. That's not to say more historically-inspired versions of those concepts aren't valid, especially for adult builders who want to explore them from a more educated perspective. But in general all Lego historic themes have been aimed primarily at kids and have focused more on simplified, romanticized, and trope-laden versions of their respective historical and geographic eras, often inspired by popular fictional representations of those such as books and movies.

Any dumb chance of this set getting a re-color version as announced on different Creator Sets today?(dinosaur and Fiat 500) it’s a cheap move but to be honest i’m looking forward to see what kind of color combinations they can throw and pop at us at this rate to be honest