David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

31 old Ideas sets that made it into review, but did not make it into production. They now get a new chance on Bricklink (BL), the 13 first of them that gets 3000 buyers will be made into "sets" :classic:

Oh, I see!

You are talking about this:
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/introducing.page

L4Zzp78.jpg

On 3/19/2021 at 4:40 PM, Roebuck said:

Yes, rather odd no pirate set is among them right :pir-devil:

How can we do something about that?

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

How can we do something about that?

Not much to do now, but as I said I think this increase the chance that Lego are making one and do not want any competition :pir-grin:

On 3/22/2021 at 4:57 AM, Roebuck said:

Not much to do now, but as I said I think this increase the chance that Lego are making one and do not want any competition :pir-grin:

BrickLink are having a survey so there is an opportunity to provide feedback:

Click here for survey

There is a complete lack of Pirate themed ideas on the BrickLink Designer Program 2021 Invitational webpage:
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/introducing.page

Meanwhile, other classic themes including Castle, Town and Space are represented, despite Pirates making it into the top 4 in the recent Vote for the 90th Anniversary LEGO set poll.

So my need is better Pirate themed representation in initiatives like these.

I am so curious on what’s next with the pirates, I am personally working on my forever pirates project now, I loved the idea of modular sets combining back in 2015 and just plan to work on more imperial forts, modifying the creator pirate ship with pre built parts, etc, but would buy them all in a heartbeat, castle and pirates does that for me

Edited by eldiano

So the new Vidiyo sets were revealed and to me they all are meh but some might be interested in this new colour for that tricorne piece.

43108-13.jpg

Also there's a pirate ship build. With some modification, you could make a proper gunboat (probably :pir-grin:)

43114-1.jpg

I already got the Punk Pirate and Shark Singer from the first series, so I'll surely be adding the ship and new pirate bandmate from this second series. While they most certainly do not fit in with the rest of my Pirates stuff, they sure are fun looking!

Ha, the new pirate stuff is amazing, although the ship's design takes a somewhat different approach than I'd have predicted (I expected the stage to face the side of the ship, not the front, with speakers placed in the gunports and stage lighting suspended from the rigging).

I love that the mermaid violinist wears fishnets — not as stockings, of course, but just… actual fishnets! Her tattoos, hair, and general "punk" aesthetic are also stunning, as are the pirate DJ's spiked choker and compass pendant… although I'm probably more drawn to those sorts of details because I'm a huge lesbian than because of how pirate-y they are. :tongue:

That squid drummer and shark guitarist are also fun, though it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity that the squid drummer can't hold a second set of drumsticks with his tentacles!

Unrelated to the "pirate punk" sets and figures, I can't help but wonder whether the Reddish Brown panel used for the chocolate waterfall in the Candy Castle set could be at all useful for custom hull designs. Admittedly, its smoothness might be a bit of a limitation in that sort of context, considering that there are so many custom hull techniques that allow for more detailed wooden plank textures using smaller curved elements.

13 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Also there's a pirate ship build. With some modification, you could make a proper gunboat (probably :pir-grin:)

43114-1.jpg

Modification is an understatement! :pir-sick:

Have to admit that VIDIYO pirate ship has won me over. I recently got the 70848 Systar Party Crew with a dance party Metal-Beard, and this seals the deal that I need to modify the Sea Cow to be a punk party pirate ship and put a few of these into it. That way it can easily with with Ninjago City and not the odd half-way point between that and the standard pirates stuff.

Methinks if we hadn't had the wonderful Creator 3-in-1 and Barracuda Bay pirate ships last year there would be a hue and cry, with much mourning and lamentation and weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over the Vidiyo pirate ship.  Thanks to 31109 and 21322, most fans of traditional Pirates on Eurobricks can afford to contentedly ignore 43114.

19 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

43114-1.jpg

The sheer monstrosity of this is limitless!

:thumbdown:
:pir-sick:
:ugh:
:pir-murder:

5 hours ago, icm said:

Methinks if we hadn't had the wonderful Creator 3-in-1 and Barracuda Bay pirate ships last year there would be a hue and cry, with much mourning and lamentation and weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over the Vidiyo pirate ship.  Thanks to 31109 and 21322, most fans of traditional Pirates on Eurobricks can afford to contentedly ignore 43114.

:pir-thumb:

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Modification is an understatement! :pir-sick:

2 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

The sheer monstrosity of this is limitless!

:thumbdown:
:pir-sick:
:ugh:
:pir-murder:

If not for that, then I guess parts can always help to expand collection, though there was a picture with the prototype model which looked so much better and to be honest, I would've preferred that one over this one, any day of the week.

59111_2021_01_21_LEGO_Produkter_Billund_

(The one on the right, obviously.)

Edited by Jack Sassy
I have problems with left and right sides, I guess.

I agree, although does the background/play area actually come with the set? It looks pretty awesome. The puns on the poster are great too.

I think the ship will fit right in with the LEGOLAND-but-mostly-Pirateland theme park I've been accumulating. :pir_laugh2: 40346,10273, 31084, and 41375.

Edited by TalonCard

7 hours ago, TalonCard said:

I agree, although does the background/play area actually come with the set? It looks pretty awesome. The puns on the poster are great too.

Poster is a VIP item, I believe (saw it on BrickTsar's video), background is for displaying the product, there hasn't been any iformation that it would appear in any set.

7 hours ago, TalonCard said:

I think the ship will fit right in with the LEGOLAND-but-mostly-Pirateland theme park I've been accumulating. :pir_laugh2: 40346,10273, 31084, and 41375

Well, I think that it's unfair how they're teasing us with Pirates and Castle, through Legoland sets an alike. We've been waiting for a full-blown Pirate theme since 2015. :pir-bawling: I still can't believe that those two sets from last year are going to be it, there must be a continuation, right? :pir-cry_sad:

15 hours ago, TalonCard said:

I think the ship will fit right in with the LEGOLAND-but-mostly-Pirateland theme park I've been accumulating. :pir_laugh2: 40346,10273, 31084, and 41375.

That is just the prototype concept. The actual set itself does not come with any of that background stuff. If you compare the concept photo with the actual set renders you'll see also numerous changes to the ship itself.

I personally am pretty happy with how it came out. This is in no way a replacement to having an actual Pirates theme proper, but I still find myself enjoying the Punk Pirate genre of Video. The outlandish colors actually look great to me. It probably helps that I'm also a big punk music fan, so this is a mashing of two of my interests together in a bright, fun, and totally crazy way.

Not a pirates set but City will have a small set with 2 monkeys, certainly a nice addition to what used to a regular animal in many sets in the past 80s/90s Pirates and even up to 2009.

Edited by TeriXeri

8 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Not a pirates set but City will have a small set with 2 monkeys

Do we know in which set it will appear? Also, I'm guessing it's going to be a new, smaller mold.

43 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Do we know in which set it will appear? Also, I'm guessing it's going to be a new, smaller mold.

60300 is the cheaper small set with 2 monkeys, but 60302 the large Elephant/Crocodile set has 2 monkeys as well.

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

60300 is the cheaper small set with 2 monkeys, but 60302 the large Elephant/Crocodile set has 2 monkeys as well.

The crocodile in that set is also the first time the "new style" crocodiles have appeared in classic green! It'd be a great fit for a Barracuda Bay inspired layout, considering that set's general "throwback" vibe.

It also includes a crocodile nest, using the egg piece from The Angry Birds Movie (one of which is printed with a newborn croc's eye peeking out through a small hole), and a body of water using one of the new LEGO City "road plates" in Dark Azure! If that part ends up showing up more widely, it could be great for port/harbour settings, since ships will be able to slide freely on its surface (unlike studded plates or baseplates).

The LEGO Friends Forest House also has a new printed 2x2 "macaroni" tile with a wooden board print which could be great for nautical settings! Hopefully it will show up in even more sets in the future, since that set doesn't include an especially large quantity of them.

10 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Ah, I saw them on Brickset now and am amazed! To be honest, that elephant excites me a little bit more. :pir-grin:

On 5/2/2021 at 12:50 AM, Jack Sassy said:

Ah, I saw them on Brickset now and am amazed! To be honest, that elephant excites me a little bit more. :pir-grin:

But... did you see the SHEEP?!?!