David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

3 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

This lad may have all his limbs but I'd argue he's lost the most...

LMBO :laugh:

Edited by Brandon Pea

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I'd say Ironhook lost more, like his uniform and epaulets.

Nah, already gave him one from Salazar's spare black ones as an emblematic prize for taking over the Runner.

ET7WKUT.png

2 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

This lad may have all his limbs but I'd argue he's lost the most...

image.png

Haha! What a coincidence, got this dude right here as well, tried to make a swim for it. Brave, but a bold idea I must say.

pTqX7ca.png

Also discussing this is irrevelant and offtopic but super fan so I don't care, he-ha. :innocent2:

Edited by Medzomorak

1 hour ago, Medzomorak said:

Also discussing this is irrevelant and offtopic but super fan so I don't care, he-ha. :innocent2:

Yes, quick!  Report that Governor to the moderator!  It was he who did this!

On 2/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, Robert8 said:

Actually her face is my favorite part in the figure, even if I think an eyepatch would have helped a little bit here

I actually interesting that she isn't missing any limb or organ. The LEGO pirates are always missing an eye, leg or hand. (except the S12 Swashbuckler that is)

I like that. Never got why every Pirate is missing some piece in the Lego-World. But the figure is a bit to bland for a female Pirate in my eyes. Looks more like a tavern maid or so.

9 hours ago, mon-o-mat said:

I like that. Never got why every Pirate is missing some piece in the Lego-World. But the figure is a bit to bland for a female Pirate in my eyes. Looks more like a tavern maid or so.

Haha, a tavern maid is actually not bad candidate for a pirate girl, don't you think? :wink:

Also there's a lot of pirate figs who seem have all the organ parts nice and dandy. The popcultural romanticization of the era is the obvious cause of peglegs and eyepatches. Also they want to take every chance to make a figure recognizable.

I think the Brick Bounty was probably the height of that rediculousness: all three adult pirate characters had eye patches; basically the entire crew. ????

1 hour ago, TalonCard said:

I think the Brick Bounty was probably the height of that rediculousness: all three adult pirate characters had eye patches; basically the entire crew. ????

I thought the Brick Bounty was ridiculous because the LEGO Group ran a contest in which fans submitted names for the upcoming set.

The ridiculous part, the name that won was almost identical to the previous ship release...  I.e. Brickbeard's Bounty.

Seemed like a total lack of creativity and waste of time hosting the contest....

As you can see I'm still not over it. :pir-bawling:

49 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

I thought the Brick Bounty was ridiculous because the LEGO Group ran a contest in which fans submitted names for the upcoming set.

The ridiculous part, the name that won was almost identical to the previous ship release...  I.e. Brickbeard's Bounty.

Seemed like a total lack of creativity and waste of time hosting the contest....

As you can see I'm still not over it. :pir-bawling:

That explains my query why these two ships look alike so much and have similar names.

I still think my submission, Black Dog's Barque, had a lot going for it.  :laugh:

16 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

That explains my query why these two ships look alike so much and have similar names. 

You may have noticed me posting (in other topics) about how the LEGO Group just recycled similar set concepts for the 2009 and releases... and how they're likely to do this again if they release another wave of pirate sets.

I'm just hoping the next ship DOES NOT have red striped sales.  At least make them black...  or some other colour.

It annoys me how they've played it safe by repeating the same forumular and put profits before innovation, as  there are other facets of pirate and Caribbean history which could be explored.

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

You may have noticed me posting (in other topics) about how the LEGO Group just recycled similar set concepts for the 2009 and releases... and how they're likely to do this again if they release another wave of pirate sets.

I'm just hoping the next ship DOES NOT have red striped sales.  At least make them black...  or some other colour.

It annoys me how they've played it safe by repeating the same forumular and put profits before innovation, as  there are other facets of pirate and Caribbean history which could be explored.

For another reason is interesting that they've done that, because it might imply the 2009 releases had sold well, thus the recycling. Which contradicts its actual buchery after one year.

I think we can agree that TLG was just cheapo to invest enough resources into a better design team, they've just milked the market instead, which can backfire with bad sales all the time. I myself think newer Pirates are the case study of Lego managers' incompetence, which btw is always lingering around in every corporate environment from time to time. OR Lego is just forcefully creating theme diversity all the time and a lot of old themes are just cannon fodders which they can shoot at us any time without any financial effort.

Maybe these two options are actually the same thing. I'm not a marketing expert but I consider it a harmful model on the long run.

Edited by Medzomorak

The 2015 Pirates wave as a whole was basically just a re-hash of the 2009 wave. If you compare the sets side by side, you'll see that they are almost exactly the same with only a few differences. 

I really hope they've learned from this mistake and won't repeat it again next time they release a line of Pirates sets.

58 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

For another reason is interesting that they've done that, because it might imply the 2009 releases had sold well, thus the recycling. Which contradicts its actual buchery after one year.

I think we can agree that TLG was just cheapo to invest enough resources into a better design team, they've just milked the market instead, which can backfire with bad sales all the time. I myself think newer Pirates are the case study of Lego managers' incompetence, which btw is always lingering around in every corporate environment from time to time. OR Lego is just forcefully creating theme diversity all the time and a lot of old themes are just cannon fodders which they can shoot at us any time without any financial effort.

Maybe these two options are actually the same thing. I'm not a marketing expert but I consider it a harmful model on the long run.

I think that those Pirate-waves were built around: "We have found out, that Pirateships are wanted, so design one and half a dozen sets to form a wave. But don't invest to much time and bricks in case it doesn't sell well."

1 hour ago, Medzomorak said:

For another reason is interesting that they've done that, because it might imply the 2009 releases had sold well, thus the recycling.

Yes, it's a deliberate business strategy.  They've determined which concepts are likely to the most sets, so they're deliberately reusing the same set concepts in 5-7 year cycles.

Why every 5-7 years?

It's because the primary demographic for LEGO Pirates is males aged 7-12.

So after 5-7 years, there is whole new "cycle" of 7-12 year old males, and therefore the LEGO Group can get away with using the same set concepts because they're not selling to the same children each cycle.

The Brick Bounty was terrible, and the only set of the wave I did not buy. Too similar to the 2009 ship. As someone else mentioned, they could at least have given it sails with a different colour to throw us adult collectors just a little bone. But that said, I don't think we can blame them for doing the same type of sets they did 6 years prior - as the children who bought/received the previous wave are no longer the target demographic.

As for the quality of both the 2009 and 2015 waves, I think they were overall pretty great. But I'd love to see a Pirate theme that lasts 2-3 years next time and not just a single wave.

What really annoys me, infuriates me to be honest, is that LEGO does not sell NEW parts as stand alone, like boat hulls or masts, etc .

The technology has advanced a lot and now with 3D printing, how hard or expensive can that be?

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

1 hour ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

What really annoys me, infuriates me to be honest, is that LEGO does not sell NEW parts as stand alone, like boat hulls or masts, etc .

The technology has advanced a lot and now with 3D printing, how hard or expensive can that be?

Plastic production is super expensive. The machines are huge and the molds are super expensive. Short production runs are not cost effective, which is why they try to limit the active brick assortment at any given time.

3D printing is an entirely different process, and can't produce the number of bricks needed, and it is too expensive per part.

So I think you need to give them some leeway.

And if you are needing parts, why not bricklink them?

If only TLG would create a half version of the standard hull midsection. It would only increase the parts count of a ship by 7-10, but would be a far more versatile part. The more a ship part can be used across multiple themes, the more cost effective a Pirates line could be.

2 hours ago, gedren_y said:

If only TLG would create a half version of the standard hull midsection. It would only increase the parts count of a ship by 7-10, but would be a far more versatile part. The more a ship part can be used across multiple themes, the more cost effective a Pirates line could be.

Do you know what's the tragic part?

The Chinese company WANGE has already done that!

And I was about to make a separate post discussing this idea!

If LEGO would do the same, but with the large boat hull, we could build wider ship MOCs, even by a little.
That way, the ship deck will be wider and there would be more space between opposite shooting cannons.

IMG_20200223_233521

IMG_20200223_233543

IMG_20200223_233701

IMG_20200223_233750

IMG_20200223_234042

IMG_20200223_235045_HDR

IMG_20200224_173456_HDR

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

Wow that parts would be soo cool and give us opportunity for alot of versatile builds. Its time that Lego steal and copy some of the design :)

8 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Yes, Bricklink and eBay are very useful for parts.

8 hours ago, Hive said:

I don't think we can blame them for doing the same type of sets they did 6 years prior - as the children who bought/received the previous wave are no longer the target demographic.

Yes we can because we are also consumers of their product and for us to continue buying their product, we should hold them to a certain standard.

8 hours ago, Hive said:

I'd love to see a Pirate theme that lasts 2-3 years next time and not just a single wave. 

Not going to happen under the current business model.

44 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Not going to happen under the current business model.

Unless they produce something with the same level of success as Ninjago.  Prior to this,  it was Lego Pirates,  if you want to think about it for a minute; 6+ years of new and exciting products, tie in media, curtosey Ladybird press, and whoever made the comic,  an arcing narrative and backstory narrated on the box flaps.

It CAN happen,  the men In the suits at the top have to see it.

2 hours ago, Jevil said:

Unless they produce something with the same level of success as Ninjago. [...] It CAN happen,  the men In the suits at the top have to see it.

Ninjago...  Nexo Knights,,, and the like...  I hate how they combine the traditional themes with technological crap.

However, Ithink the Ninjago sets in which the technocrap is kept to a minimum are pretty good.

But I wouldn't want to taint the Pirate theme with that just to have regular new set releases.