David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

4 hours ago, Lego David said:
On 12/27/2019 at 6:10 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Given that it's a 2HY release, I think it's likely it'll be announced at February 2020's New York Toy Fair like Hidden Side was at this year's NYTF

When do you think it's most likely to get the first leaked pictures of the sets? I keep waiting for more news about this line but nothing comes out.  LEGO really wants to keep it as secret as they can for some reason...:sceptic:

Like I mentioned earlier, there was a promo image for Hidden Side spotted at 2019's Nuremberg Toy Fair a month before that theme was officially announced at NYTF, so perhaps we can expect the same to happen next month at the earliest... :classic:

On 1/31/2019 at 11:34 AM, Exetrius said:

A promotional image of a new theme (shown at Nuremberg Toy Fair) is floating on the web. It show a teen/adolescent girl and boy, wearing street wear (hoodies, caps) and holding a smartphone up in the air, possibly taking pictures. The girl has pink dyed hair and a knitted cap, the boy stands in a kayak and has a hoodie over his cap. The background is nightly and there's a thunderstorm going on and furthermore shows a dark tower.

I say this theme will be about young thrill seekers annex vloggers, who will look for and encounter ghosts, mythical beings (i.e. Nessie, Bigfoot), wherewolves, vampires, or even aliens. This can get interesting. :sweet:

Hahaha I am obsessed by this theme. I keep coming back. Nothing new written so I go back a few pages and read again and analyse :). When you say this:

On 12/18/2019 at 7:30 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Time Travel basis confirmed... :laugh:

Does it mean you got the confirmation?:) or am I reading what I want to read?:)

what if...(whishful thinking here, don’t bash me) :)

On 12/16/2019 at 8:15 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Sure, though I feel the "Legacy" that Series 20 will be paying more heed to will be the theme's that it is a part of rather than the minifigure:shrug_confused:

Séries 20 comes out as the same time as leaf ? and that the CMF series is there to add more minifigures to each « era » covered in leaf and that the minifigs add some new AR components to the leaf sets. :) (2 pirates, 2 western, 2 Egypt, 2 castle...)

i know it’s wishing for too much... but what if...:)

Back to reality: fast forward to a possible February: 

Today lego announced a new theme. This new universe is based on pirate minidolls living in a cave under a castle growing apples and aliens (yes growing aliens...more specifically cowboy aliens) trying to get the gold from the close by pyramid 

:)

Edited by Megbricks
Adding deceiving more realistic outcome for leaf:)

On 12/30/2019 at 9:35 AM, Megbricks said:

Back to reality: fast forward to a possible February: 

Today lego announced a new theme. This new universe is based on pirate minidolls living in a cave under a castle growing apples and aliens (yes growing aliens...more specifically cowboy aliens) trying to get the gold from the close by pyramid 

:)

I got PTSD from the Elves 2015 thread, thanks for bringing that memory back :hmpf_bad: :grin:

5 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

I got PTSD from the Elves 2015 thread, thanks for bringing that memory back :hmpf_bad: :grin:

Ah yes, that one sucked... I was really hoping for something like the old Forestmen subtheme with minifigures like this:

col042.png

Very interesting what the guy of the LEGO House says at Minute 1:50 after Joshua mentioned that the Pirate Theme is still very popular.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:35 AM, Megbricks said:

Does it mean you got the confirmation?:) or am I reading what I want to read?:)

Nah, I'm no insider... :laugh: ...but seriously, how else could Classic themes such as Pirates & Castle (at the very least) dwell under a single playtheme with a centralized premise? To me, it doesn't really sound like it'll be a fusion of the two in the same way Nexo Knights amalgamated Castle and Space together, as they've been separately described by @Itaria No Shintaku and @Falconfan1414 as "Classic" themes, meaning they must be comparably recognizable to such.

what if...

Séries 20 comes out as the same time as leaf and that the CMF series is there to add more minifigures to each « era » covered in leaf and that the minifigs add some new AR components to the leaf sets. :) (2 pirates, 2 western, 2 Egypt, 2 castle...)

Well, I suppose I could see the AR thing being applied to Series 20 or other future CMS; but, as for Series 20 tying into this "Leaf" theme, that I can't see. I mean, a CMS that's strictly Historical would be cool to see, but Series 20 has to pay heed to all nineteen Series that came before for the theme's tenth anniversary, so it'd have to also include "City" archetypes and those "costumed" guys... :sceptic:

Hahaha I am obsessed by this theme.

I should mention, there is also this topic if you aren't already familiar with it... :wink:

12 minutes ago, Robin_IV said:

Very interesting what the guy of the LEGO House says at Minute 1:50 after Joshua mentioned that the Pirate Theme is still very popular.

I find it even more interesting that Pirates still seems to be the prime emphasis circling around this "Leaf" theme... :shrug_confused:

13 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Oh i wasn’t around. I would have been disappointed as well although we had nice pieces from the elves line. 

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I should mention, there is also this topic if you aren't already familiar with it... :wink:

I find it even more interesting that Pirates still seems to be the prime emphasis circling around this "Leaf" theme... :shrug_confused:

Edited by Megbricks
Ok i can’t quote this properly so I’ll write this here. I just started to follow the post:) but it’s emptyyyyy:)

17 hours ago, Megbricks said:

I just started to follow the post:) but it’s emptyyyyy:)

Um, what do you mean by that? :shrug_confused:

30 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Um, what do you mean by that? :shrug_confused:

Sorry i sometimes literally translate from French in my head and it doesn’t make sense. :) I meant there wasn’t much going on in the post. It’s starting  to « move » again. 

1 hour ago, Megbricks said:

Sorry i sometimes literally translate from French in my head and it doesn’t make sense. :)

Ah, I see... :classic:

1 hour ago, Megbricks said:

I meant there wasn’t much going on in the post. It’s starting  to « move » again.

Yeah, back when it was at its most active, there just wasn't much at all to work off of, so the speculation was much broader. 

Know what would be bombastic?

If Project Leaf was a Peanut-Butter/Chocolate Theme like Nexo-Knignts, except instead of Castle and space, it'd be Castle/Pirates/Fantasy.

Just now, Jevil said:

Know what would be bombastic?

If Project Leaf was a Peanut-Butter/Chocolate Theme like Nexo-Knights, except instead of Castle and space, it'd be Castle/Pirates/Fantasy.

That's what I'd otherwise expect from Lego, but as I've noted...

On 1/1/2020 at 9:01 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

To me, it doesn't really sound like it'll be a fusion of the two in the same way Nexo Knights amalgamated Castle and Space together, as they've been separately described by @Itaria No Shintaku and @Falconfan1414 as "Classic" themes, meaning they must be comparably recognizable to such.

...but then again, some insiders described Nexo Knights as "Steampunk" before everyone else got their first look at it... :wacko:

When do you think it's most likely to get the leaked names for the sets? That would help a lot in identifying what the theme actually is. We already know most of the names of all the upcoming 2020 sets, but not for this theme. Why is that?

7 hours ago, Lego David said:

When do you think it's most likely to get the leaked names for the sets? That would help a lot in identifying what the theme actually is. We already know most of the names of all the upcoming 2020 sets, but not for this theme. Why is that?

Because Leaf is not a real theme. It was a red herring to track down leaks and generate buzz and hope amongst AFOLs.
TLG is now busy guillotining their leaks and are getting ready to crush this AFOL Classic-theme rebellion once and for all.
Lego has altered, pray we don't alter it any further...! *licensed theme force choke*

sorry I just had a hearty breakfast and my bloodsugar is surging.

As I've been saying before, with Ninjago going full "Nexo-Ninja-Gaming" theme at least now, room for some "Classic" theme certainly seems to open up a bit more.

I certainly don't expect another Nexo-Pirates theme alongside that. 

2016 when Nexo Knights launched, Ninjago had the Sky Pirates but those designs were a lot more dulled then the neon colors Nexo Knights had

And now we see Ninjago fully going Trans Neon-Yellow and Neon-Orange in it's sets for 2020, I don't expect some neon-colored Pirates/Castle.

With that said Hidden Side also still has it's neon yellow possesed figures and red/yellow ghosts for 2020.

Of course pure speculation until we know more.

I do hope for the more "Classic" take on the theme, going more traditional, and not yet another 5-colors of "heroes" that each need their colored vehicles each wave.

Named characters aren't an issue, just don't overdo it, or add some smaller sets like Nexo Knights Ultimate sets for accesoires later on, I loved those even for the villain variants.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

Because Leaf is not a real theme. It was a red herring to track down leaks and generate buzz and hope amongst AFOLs.
TLG is now busy guillotining their leaks and are getting ready to crush this AFOL Classic-theme rebellion once and for all.
Lego has altered, pray we don't alter it any further...! *licensed theme force choke*

sorry I just had a hearty breakfast and my bloodsugar is surging.

What are you talking about? Of course Leaf is a real theme. It may not be what AFOLs are hoping for, but it's still going to be a thing.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

What are you talking about? Of course Leaf is a real theme. It may not be what AFOLs are hoping for, but it's still going to be a thing.

He's turning a Star Wars quote into a funny take on the Leaf Lego theme and it's surrounding leaks. I take it you're not into Star Wars?

Anyhoo, like he said, his blood sugar is high :)

17 hours ago, Lego David said:

When do you think it's most likely to get the leaked names for the sets? That would help a lot in identifying what the theme actually is. We already know most of the names of all the upcoming 2020 sets, but not for this theme. 

Well, we didn't even know the set numbers for Hidden Side up until the theme was officially announced at February's NYTF, so I'd probably expect the same for this theme.

On 12/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, gedren_y said:

I went back and counted, there are 18 set numbers listed for LEAF. If this is an AR theme as expected, then the finalized sets could have been ready for quite some time. The known set numbers might constitute 2-3 waves.

18 set numbers means it’ll be a big bang theme. Providing the set numbers have been reported correctly.

3 hours ago, J4ck said:

18 set numbers means it’ll be a big bang theme. Providing the set numbers have been reported correctly.

Plus, if it is indeed a "big bang" theme, a good chunk of that eighteen-set launch wave could be taken up by Spinjitzu/Speedorz-type sets. 

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Plus, if it is indeed a "big bang" theme, a good chunk of that eighteen-set launch wave could be taken up by Spinjitzu/Speedorz-type sets. 

I’m counting on it :grin:

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

18 is close enough to previous themes at launch :

2016 Nexo Knights launched with 17 sets,  6 of which were Ultimate. 

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Nexo-Knights/releasedin-EU-2016-01

2013 Chima launched with 16 sets, 7 of which were Speedorz.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Legends-of-Chima/releasedin-EU-2012-12

2011 Ninjago launched with 17 sets, 7 of which were Spinners.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Ninjago/releasedin-EU-2010-12

Edited by TeriXeri

We are getting waaay too hopeful around here. I worry we are setting ourselves up for some disappointment. But on the other hand it is looking more plausible by the page. It's hard not to get excited.

23 minutes ago, Masked Mini said:

We are getting waaay too hopeful around here. I worry we are setting ourselves up for some disappointment. But on the other hand it is looking more plausible by the page. It's hard not to get excited.

I think it's nice to be excited for something new, and hopefully good, and keywords like Pirates and Castle are my favorite classic themes beside the always-present Town/City/Creator.

It's been 2 years now since the last Nexo January wave, and Elves also ended more then a year ago. 

At least for 2019, the focus seemed to be mostly on Lego Movie 2 so a new Big Bang theme launch wouldn't really make sense.

Hidden Side still launched in 2019 but had 8 sets, and 6 2020 sets, so is a somewhat smaller theme, like Elves.

Ninjago getting Legacy and all is nice, but for me, it's a lot easier to get excited to get into a theme from the very beginning especially if it would fill a gap like Pirates or Castle.

I came back into LEGO due to Nexo Knights launch, since that ended, my focus on set types shifted a bit more to preference for Location based sets.

Of course without set names or any substantial info to go from it's pure speculation.

Edited by TeriXeri