David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

On 12/10/2019 at 12:21 AM, Itaria No Shintaku said:

What I heard is that something's cooking for AFOLs. What's that I can't truly tell, I've heard several rumours by different people pointing in different direction.
And one is -Ahrrrrr- one we love.

I just talked with an acquaintance of mine whose friend (gossip cliché detected) is working in the Hungarian Lego factory at Nyíregyháza. They said a pirate theme is coming up. 

Edited by Medzomorak

19 hours ago, Medzomorak said:

I just talked with an acquaintance of mine whose friend (gossip cliché detected) is working in the Hungarian Lego factory at Nyíregyháza. They said a pirate theme is coming up. 

You don't say... :oh: ...did your acquaintance say he outright described it as a Pirate theme? Any chance he was rather speaking of The Pirate Bay? :shrug_confused:

Given previous discussion of the enigmatic "Leaf" theme here, this just might be of some pertinence... :shrug_oh_well:

P.S. Take note of the hashtags... :wink:

I hear that the CMF series 20 is an anniversary series; so what do you think the chances of it being classic inspired, including heavy focus on Pirates and Castle?

8 minutes ago, leafan said:

I hear that the CMF series 20 is an anniversary series; so what do you think the chances of it being classic inspired, including heavy focus on Pirates and Castle?

Series 18 would've been much more apt for such, as that CMS celebrated the 60th anniversary of the minifigure, whereas Series 20 will instead be marking the 10th anniversary of the Collectable Minifigure theme.

11 minutes ago, leafan said:

Slim too none, but I think that there is a good chance we will see a fig or two from pirates, castle or western :shrug_oh_well:

22 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Series 18 would've been much more apt for such, as that CMS celebrated the 60th anniversary of the minifigure, whereas Series 20 will instead be marking the 10th anniversary of the Collectable Minifigure theme.

True, but seeing how LEGO is going "Legacy" a lot more now, after series 18 we got : 

- Ninjago Legacy sets starting in 2019 + getting it's own Ninjago Legacy Magazine in 2020 (= a way to get figures back beside just sets)

- LEGO Legacy Heroes Unboxed game focusing on old but known figures, alongside CMF figures, Redbeard was even in the first shown teaser trailer.

- Star Wars 20th anniversary bringing back "old" style figures in that theme.

If "Legacy" is the new continued trend spreading to other in-house themes, it would be nice.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

True, but seeing how LEGO is going "Legacy" a lot more now, after series 18 we got : 

- Ninjago Legacy sets starting in 2019 + getting it's own Ninjago Legacy Magazine in 2020 (= a way to get figures back beside just sets)

- LEGO Legacy Heroes Unboxed game focusing on old but known figures, alongside CMF figures, Redbeard was even in the first shown teaser trailer.

- Star Wars 20th anniversary bringing back "old" style figures in that theme.

If "Legacy" is the new continued trend spreading to other in-house themes, it would be nice.

Sure, though I feel the "Legacy" that Series 20 will be paying more heed to will be the theme's that it is a part of rather than the minifigure:shrug_confused:

The whole CMF series thing has been completely messed up by all those licensed CMFs... I don't think they will do anything to celebrate the 10th anniversary unless it's licenced.

I just had something of a random thought: What if the "Leaf" theme is time-travel centric, hence acting as a means to inject Pirates into its premise? After all, I find it curious that @Falconfan1414 hashtagged his IG post pertaining to "Leaf" with both #legopirates and #legocastle... :oh:

16 minutes ago, Lego David said:

The whole CMF series thing has been completely messed up by all those licensed CMFs... I don't think they will do anything to celebrate the 10th anniversary unless it's licenced.

You do know that Summer 2020's CMS has been confirmed by multiple sources to be Series 20, right? :wink:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I just had something of a random thought: What if the "Leaf" theme is time-travel centric, hence acting as a means to inject Pirates into its premise? After all, I find it curious that @Falconfan1414 hashtagged his IG post pertaining to "Leaf" with both #legopirates and #legocastle... :oh::wink:

Would work for me as well as I love castle (especially if they focus on some actual castles + horses) , even if it would be 1 medium-larger sized set.

If it's really like 18 or so sets, Timetravel could certainly act as a big varied nostalgia theme of all sorts including Castle, Pirates, possible Space or Western, and not in the sense of Time-Cruisers mixing all themes into 1 set but seperately.

With both LEGO Movie 1+2 sets showing they can be very varied in multiple genres at once, I can see this certainly possible in a time-travel theme.

And from my personal viewpoint, preferably go back to the pre-2000s factions of Pirates/Castle/Space etc. 

Edited by TeriXeri

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I just had something of a random thought: What if the "Leaf" theme is time-travel centric, hence acting as a means to inject Pirates into its premise? After all, I find it curious that @Falconfan1414 hashtagged his IG post pertaining to "Leaf" with both #legopirates and #legocastle... :oh:

Does @Falconfan1414's post confirm anything though? Or is it just a random post that any of us could have made?

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Does @Falconfan1414's post confirm anything though? Or is it just a random post that any of us could have made?

Not necessarily, but it is FalconFan acknowledging the rumor after all... :wink: ...besides, I believe I haven't yet seen anyone else bring Castle and further AR playthemes into the rumor fold regarding the "Leaf" theme, so who knows... :shrug_oh_well:

6 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Would work for me as well as I love castle (especially if they focus on some actual castles + horses) , even if it would be 1 medium-larger sized set.

If it's really like 18 or so sets, Timetravel could certainly act as a big varied nostalgia theme of all sorts including Castle, Pirates, possible Space or Western, and not in the sense of Time-Cruisers mixing all themes into 1 set but seperately.

With both LEGO Movie 1+2 sets showing they can be very varied in multiple genres at once, I can see this certainly possible in a time-travel theme.

The more I think about it, an AR-based Time Travel theme similar to Hidden Side could hold much long-term promise if successful, because not only could it accommodate historical  periods and cultures that Lego hasn't yet represented within previous playset-based themes, but it could even go further towards the multiverse route to cover "punk-suffixed" genres of a alternate historical/retrofuturistic context... :smug:

On 12/15/2019 at 2:13 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

You don't say... :oh: ...did your acquaintance say he outright described it as a Pirate theme? Any chance he was rather speaking of The Pirate Bay? :shrug_confused:

Was thinking the same. Asked directly whether he is talking about the new ideas set. He told me he meant an actual new theme. But I was holding a 25kg UCS Falcon he brought me so I was not very keen on getting into details at that moment. Still might be only the Pirate Bay, we will see :D 

Edited by Medzomorak

1 hour ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

As strange as it may be, rumours are all together pointing to leaf being castle, pirates (and maybe more), and AR.

If this is a already established theme coming back, than why have a codename? Codenames are usually for new lines, not returning ones.

As strange as it may be, rumours are all together pointing to leaf being castle, pirates (and maybe more), and AR.

Time Travel basis confirmed... :laugh:

8 minutes ago, Lego David said:

If this is a already established theme coming back, than why have a codename? Codenames are usually for new lines, not returning ones.

Who said this will be an already established playtheme? :shrug_confused:

I was thinking of an educational generic history theme, but then why would Pirates be in there?

So then I thought that the common link in a singular theme between Pirates and Castle, for example, is Lego - so perhaps a Lego History celebration theme? That way they could touch upon all of the great Lego themes of the past and appeal to every AFOL that wants that itch scratched.

Maybe a tie-in to Heroes Unboxed?

16 minutes ago, leafan said:

I was thinking of an educational generic history theme, but then why would Pirates be in there?

So then I thought that the common link in a singular theme between Pirates and Castle, for example, is Lego - so perhaps a Lego History celebration theme? That way they could touch upon all of the great Lego themes of the past and appeal to every AFOL that wants that itch scratched.

Perhaps it'll be a "Storybook" garden-variety playtheme, similar to Creator with its subtheme structuring and format. :shrug_oh_well:

45 minutes ago, leafan said:

Well, back with those 40th anniversary boxes, in 2018, they did show that they can certainly celebrate multiple themes at once.

Those were great, while the minifigs were generic smileys, they could be very customized with the many included minifig parts that touched upon Castle and Pirates and other themes like Divers, Racers, Space/Pilots.

The suggested minibuilds as well had varied things from creatures, to Castle, Atlantis/historic underwater ruins, a mini Pirate-Ship, a Space-Shuttle, and a Classic-Space Galaxy explorer "microfighter" style ship.

LEGO-Building-Bigger-Thinking-696x385.pn

Compared to Classic boxes, I think those were a lot better.

If they can translate this with actual sets, but with a similar formula, mixing eras and themes doesn't have to be a crazy bad thing , even Lego Movie 1/2 had Castle, Pirates and Space mixed with City and Unikitty etc.

Edited by TeriXeri

38 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

If they can translate this with actual sets, but with a similar formula, mixing eras and themes doesn't have to be a crazy bad thing , even Lego Movie 1/2 had Castle, Pirates and Space mixed with City and Unikitty etc.

That'd be most ideal, and would certainly have the capacity to please pretty much everybody with very little alienation; but, I just can't see Lego going all-out for such an approach given the size this launch wave will be starting out with. It just has to be another typical "big bang" theme bound to one centralized premise and set of main characters, so that's why for the moment I'm placing my money on it being something akin to a Time Travel centric playtheme.

I'd say more a "theme-travel" (pun intended) like as if you get these characters travelling throughout the various LEGO universes.
Or something that may also please AFOLS, like LE(go for)AF(ol).
Lol, just wishful thinking.

5 minutes ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

I'd say more a "theme-travel" (pun intended) like as if you get these characters travelling throughout the various LEGO universes.
Or something that may also please AFOLS, like LE(go for)AF(ol).
Lol, just wishful thinking.

Um, a multiverse-hopping Clutch Powers theme, perhaps? :shrug_oh_well: