David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

2 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

$0.10/brick estimate as it's not licensed

I think you are right regarding the large plastic pieces, but Ideas are usually more generously priced, especially unlicensed, 6-8c/piece. If they retain 2k-ish amount of pieces I think we can expect something in the range of 149 -199. Treehouse has 3k pieces and it's 199...

I just had a wild idea. What if Leaf is Pirates in SPACE? 2 checkboxes immediately for me.

Edited by meliander

"Year of the Pirate" is not that only Legoland Florida?
If so I do not think that matter much, anyway the Legoland parks live a life on there own, more or less separated from Lego..
"Leaf" most likely has to many sets to be a classic pirates wave so that is probably something different, "zebra" and the other do not fit either, so a pirate wave is probably not popped up on the radar yet..

7 hours ago, meliander said:

I just had a wild idea. What if Leaf is Pirates in SPACE? 2 checkboxes immediately for me.

As long as it ain't a Treasure Planet kinda Space theme, I'd happily welcome such, though it'd likely be of no interest to most Pirateers here.

11 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As long as it ain't a Treasure Planet kinda Space theme, I'd happily welcome such, though it'd likely be of no interest to most Pirateers here.

Nexoknights gave me one fig I could use, so I expect anything pirates other than classic is in the same category :pir-murder:

1 minute ago, Roebuck said:

Nexoknights gave me one fig I could use, so I expect anything pirates other than classic is in the same category :pir-murder:

Well, I think a true Space Pirates theme wouldn't miff Pirate fans as much in the same way Nexo Knights had done for Castle fans, as it'd pretty much be a straight-up Space theme rather than something in between.

Land Bounty was as recent as 2019 , and even if it had a more pirateship shape/design ,a ship on wheels just doesn't appeal to me. 

Not that I am wishing for a Space Pirates theme over regular Pirates but here's how I see it:

Hopefully a more classic approach based on late 80s / early 90s space themes/designs, angled shapes, and not so much rounded.

Of course there could be 1-2 larger spaceship sets , with those new triangle plates seen in the new Star Wars Tie Triangle ship, some interesting shapes can certainly be made. 

Pirates would be one faction, Space Police or Traders/Researchers could be other factions, theme would not be based on a team of "heroes".

As for designs, what to expect ? Pirate Ships with tech-sails and rocket engines? :shrug_confused: Space Shark Monsters? :grin:

The thing with Nexo Knights was that it had so few actual Castles, it was more a of fantasy monster/vehicle theme with a team of "hero characters", but it wasn't space either.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well I wouldn't be against a Pirate/Space theme with a Treasure Planet aesthestic.

Edited by LOTR34

9 hours ago, meliander said:

Treehouse has 3k pieces and it's 199

Okay, i was off a lot on the piece count in my head.
I agree with your assessment of 149.99-199.99 unless they blow the piece count waaaay up on the official take of the Bay.
Can't see them burning an additional 7-900 bricks on replacing the base plate or adding more stuff. That'd be a BSB and a Armada Flagships worth. Oh. Oh man. That'd be amazing!

5 hours ago, Lego David said:

Where did you get the confirmation from?

4 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

From nowhere, he's just joking.

Yeah. Made it up to tease You guys. I came clean in the fine print.
It's what went through my mind at the time.
What's the best worst case scenario? We finally get a Pirate wave, 14 whole sets... but Monkey paw. Not a real wave at all, just gimmicks.

7 hours ago, Roebuck said:

"Year of the Pirate" is not that only Legoland Florida?
If so I do not think that matter much, anyway the Legoland parks live a life on there own, more or less separated from Lego..

I thought I read Legoland Billund kicking off Year of the Pirate. Maybe it is all full Legolands?
And you are right ofcourse, Legoland isn't really connected to Lego as a whole but we might be able to score some Pirate stuff (at a premium) through their Event.
Minifigs and polybag builds maybe. Doubt they'd get anything truly juicy made just for the parks.

In other news: The Blue soldiers from the 2009 (?) wave are finally sold out on BnP or Lego pulled the stock. Red Torsos from the last wave are still available.
Does anyone know where to source blue, red and white epaulettes in bulk for less than a arm/leg/firstborn? BnP is down to two listings of Dark Green with different prices.
Bricklink is $$$ for US shops.

*Pushes nerd glasses up*

Well actually the blue soldiers are from the 2015 wave and the red ones from the 2009 wave.

Edited by LOTR34

1 hour ago, LOTR34 said:

Weeell ackshually...

Thanks for googling that for me. :laugh:
I disliked the new blues and despise the new reds :sick: so I can't ever keep the years straight.
Hopefully the next round of Soldiers takes either a classical turn, the 2015 blues aren't THAT horrible, or even better copies the Revolutionary Soldier uniform.

On 12/5/2019 at 8:05 AM, TeriXeri said:

As for designs, what to expect? Pirate Ships with tech-sails and rocket engines? :shrug_confused: Space Shark Monsters? :grin:

On 12/5/2019 at 8:18 AM, LOTR34 said:

Well I wouldn't be against a Pirate/Space theme with a Treasure Planet aesthestic.

Unlike Disney, the way I'd want Lego to aesthetically approach a theme that blends Eighteenth Century pirate lore with space fantasy is to infuse modern sci-fi space freighters and spacesuits with the stylistic sentiments of the Eighteenth Century rather than just slapping thrusters onto a sailing vessel and calling it a day.

44 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

infuse modern sci-fi space freighters and spacesuits with the stylistic sentiments of the Eighteenth Century

So kind of what was done to submarines for Capt. Nemos ship? And to an extent his Rolls Royce (?).
I can picture that quite well actually, it's been done here and there in pop culture but rarely put on center stage.

3 hours ago, Jevil said:

Oh dude, 

I just had a thought... do you think  Metalbeard might be part of project: Leaf? Or am I just reaching??

Huh, heck, I guess I can see that... :thumbup: :shrug_oh_well:

Where is this pirates rumor coming from? 

Because I really doubt it since they approved the Pirate Bay Ideas set

21 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Where is this pirates rumor coming from? 

Because I really doubt it since they approved the Pirate Bay Ideas set

Mainly hints from @Itaria No Shintaku, who has a good record at predicting these things.

Rumour has it that if you tape an X on the window and shine a desk lamp behind it, he'll appear and give another cryptic clue.

1 hour ago, leafan said:

Mainly hints from @Itaria No Shintaku, who has a good record at predicting these things.

Rumour has it that if you tape an X on the window and shine a desk lamp behind it, he'll appear and give another cryptic clue.

What I heard is that something's cooking for AFOLs. What's that I can't truly tell, I've heard several rumours by different people pointing in different direction.
And one is -Ahrrrrr- one we love.

5 minutes ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

What I heard is that something's cooking for AFOLs. What's that I can't truly tell, I've heard several rumours by different people pointing in different direction.
And one is -Ahrrrrr- one we love.

Oh you tease :)

Hmm so it might be something else?

If anything, the approval of the Pirate Bay says there is nothing Pirate themed coming

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

Hmm so it might be something else?

If anything, the approval of the Pirate Bay says there is nothing Pirate themed coming

Do you think so?
What if we would have a castle wheter if they do a castle theme or not?

18 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

A rumored €200 set would fall outside of the normal Pirate waves anyway, I think it might even work as something to promote pirates instead of keeping them further away.

2020 will also still be close enough to a 30th anniversary of Pirates, they came out July 1989 in UK and September 1989 in US according to catalogues sources on brickset.