David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

3 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

Break out your dump trucks full of grains of salt, you'll need them.

Are!  Shiver me timbers, ye salty sea dogs!  Those blue coats in yon flagship will strike their colors to us yet, as Davy Jones is my witness!

10 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

an employee let slip that "Lego is bringing Pirates back in a big way in 2020, not just the Ideas set.

Let's hope it's true! That would be a year too late for a 30th anniversary anyway, but I will forgive this if new sets are released. :classic:

10 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

I was in a Lego store couple of weekends ago and an employee let slip that "Lego is bringing Pirates back in a big way in 2020, not just the Ideas set."
He was oblivious to his co-worker shushing him until the manager shut him up saying that has not been officially announced so he can't say that.
He was pretty excited to talk about it, the manager was too but … ah well.

Hope. The greatest of treasures!

That's fab news. Hopefully they will be modular in design to add to the upcoming "Pirate bay". I love modular designs stuff with modular creator building sets and Ninjago City my favourite Lego themes that I own (and Star Wars UCS). 

On 11/26/2019 at 9:26 PM, Masked Mini said:

I was in a Lego store couple of weekends ago and an employee let slip that "Lego is bringing Pirates back in a big way in 2020, not just the Ideas set."
He was oblivious to his co-worker shushing him until the manager shut him up saying that has not been officially announced so he can't say that.

Hope. The greatest of treasures!

I hope it is right, we need more soldiers too give the pirate bay a fight :shark:
On the other hand store employees usually do not have much info in coming sets so I am enjoining the salt so far :tongue:

On 11/27/2019 at 7:26 AM, Masked Mini said:

Did he elaborate further upon what this "big way" might be or was he shushed too soon?

On 9/19/2019 at 11:11 PM, chofus said:

Lego published some pirates pictures on their Facebook profile. I know its International Talk Like a Pirate Day, but maybe this is some kind of hint? 

I might be a bit late to the party here, but...  are these the pictures ye be referring to?

70916812_3024314087639906_7767428254369054720_n.jpg

70445702_3024314207639894_485592404099858432_n.jpg

Pictures taken from @LEGOAustralia Facebook page,

12 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Did he elaborate further upon what this "big way" might be or was he shushed too soon?

He got shushed after clarifying he wasn't talking about the pirate Bay. Sadly.

11 minutes ago, Masked Mini said:

He got shushed after clarifying he wasn't talking about the pirate Bay. Sadly.

Can you go back there and kidnap him and question in your interrogation dungeon?   :pir-skel:

On 11/26/2019 at 2:26 PM, Masked Mini said:

Huh, if true, I'd imagine such a theme would have to greatly differ from @paokus's upcoming Pirate Bay, because otherwise it wouldn't have been approved.

Hmmm, maybe it's more of a fantastical "big bang" theme? The enigmatic "Leaf" line perhaps? :shrug_oh_well:

12 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hmmm, maybe it's more of a fantastical "big bang" theme? The enigmatic "Leaf" line perhaps? :shrug_oh_well:

Fun part is, the Large LEGO Palm Leaf was introduced with Pirates in 1989 

2518.png

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

because otherwise it wouldn't have been approved.

What makes you say that? Sure a 200$ ideas set might cannibalize sales a bit or depending on timing whet appetite for the wave.

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Fun part is, the Large LEGO Palm Leaf was introduced with Pirates in 1989

Well, the Hidden Side theme though had a preliminary codename of Banana, so I'm not sure if "Leaf" can be that reliable as a hint or clue.

3 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

What makes you say that? Sure a 200$ ideas set might cannibalize sales a bit or depending on timing whet appetite for the wave.

Outside of IP-based projects that have been rejected for being based upon an already preexisting license, I want to say that there have been some LEGO Ideas projects that've been rejected for possible confliction with a similar playtheme that's still active at the time. :shrug_confused:

From the BL thread:

On 12/1/2019 at 6:53 AM, Masked Mini said:

In case Lego brings back pirates next year and wants to make sure they are the only game in town. ??

9 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

Which, well. you know,... may happen...:pir-wink:

Any further comment @Itaria No Shintaku :pir-grin:

I am not sure what to believe. If this is true, it's most likely the "Leaf" theme which has been known to come out in 2020 for quite some time now. But, this theme has also 18 leaked sets in total, which seems a bit too much for a Pirates theme. Pirates has never been a "big bang" theme, especially not in recent years. 

Perhaps it's some sort of Sci-Fi Pirates theme similar to Nexo Knights, which may be able to get a "big bang" treatment...

Edited by Lego David

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Perhaps it's some sort of Sci-Fi Pirates theme similar to Nexo Knights,

Please no :pir-murder:

If this "leaf" theme is indeed pirate related I highly doubt it'll be 100% purely pirate centric.Maybe a mix of fantasy with elements like undead pirates,sea monsters etc.

And just like Roebuck said,please don't be sci-fi pirates :pir-sceptic:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

Please no

I mean, I had to choose between Sci-Fi Pirates and no Pirates at all, I would definitely choose the Sci-Fi Pirates. 

Just now, gedren_y said:

Ninjago already did a fantasy heavy Sky Pirates.

Steampunk Oriental Sky Pirates.
Honestly if the color scheme isn't heinous i'd be down for space pirates. Or undead monster pirates.

I would just want regular pirates/islanders/blue&red soldiers, especially focused on their islands, forts, harbours.

Maybe also a set that shows civilian aspect like trading market , or a trading ship that could act as target for pirates to loot/plunder/steal from.

Of course 1 or 2 large Pirate/Soldier ship sets could work as well but if they do those, I hope they'd be their own sets.

The IDEAS Pirate Bay set could serve as the island Headquarters for the Pirates already , so if they make more sets, most of the other buildings could be soldier/neutral coastal settlements.

Possibly a smaller pirate island set with a skull cave to hide loot in. (I know skull cave been done a lot before but they could make them different enough with modern parts) 

No airships, or weird hybrid sets as Ninjago done Sky Pirates, and Lego Movie had Metalbeard's Trike/Mechs already recently.

Edited by TeriXeri

13 minutes ago, leafan said:

Also, I see that @Itaria No Shintaku used the :pir-wink: emoticon - Islanders 2 confirmed?

Get yer tin hats on maties! Yarrr.

1994 Enchanted Island was my last and largest real Pirates theme set, so Islanders 2 would work for me. :kahuka: 

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

If this "leaf" theme is indeed pirate related I highly doubt it'll be 100% purely pirate centric.Maybe a mix of fantasy with elements like undead pirates,sea monsters etc.

Be it a "big bang" theme or otherwise, I'd hope to see more from the next Pirates theme besides just another rehash of Imperial Armadas vs. Pirates for a third time. 

2 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

Honestly if the color scheme isn't heinous i'd be down for space pirates.

Well, that'd honestly be more of a Space theme rather than a Pirates theme.

49 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Be it a "big bang" theme or otherwise, I'd hope to see more from the next Pirates theme besides just another rehash of Imperial Armadas vs. Pirates for a third time. 

Honestly at this point considering how much I'm starving for more pirates content I'm willing to take anything as long as it has pirates in it. 

But I do agree that another version of "Pirates vs Soldiers" will be boring and disappointing.

1 hour ago, LOTR34 said:

But I do agree that another version of "Pirates vs Soldiers" will be boring and disappointing.

Another "copy" of 2009 / 2015 would be a bit bland.

Going more in a direction like Ninjago Legacy could still work for me, maybe focus on Islanders and Armada factions rather then Soldiers this time.

Another direction could also focus on Exploring more inland (Conquistadors) with some horses.

Or have a Traders faction (Gold / Silver / Spices / Gems / Food etc.) 

And instead of Islanders , maybe a more Maya/Aztecs type native faction.

So then you'd basicly merge Pirates with Adventurers, the Pirates can still steal the loot from some sets and have conflict at the coastline.

Edited by TeriXeri