David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

So we got the Pirate rollercoaster and the Pirate Treehouse...

I fear the chances to see a decent Pirates wave next year are getting lower... One Piraty Creator set could have been seen as an appetiser for a Pirates wave (which would maybe even have been genius).

I do hope for a sweet D2C set... And considering the increasing amount of 100+ euro sets Lego is dropping year after year, this could have a chance...

39 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

So we got the Pirate rollercoaster and the Pirate Treehouse...

I fear the chances to see a decent Pirates wave next year are getting lower... One Piraty Creator set could have been seen as an appetiser for a Pirates wave (which would maybe even have been genius).

I do hope for a sweet D2C set... And considering the increasing amount of 100+ euro sets Lego is dropping year after year, this could have a chance...

Well I'm still hoping we might get a new Pirate wave next year. If they weren't planning on doing one then surely it would have made sense to hold back the pirate rollercoaster and tree house until next year and then they could have been marketed as subtle anniversary sets.

My hope is that we'll get a complete new wave of sets similar to what we saw in 2015, or some sort of D2C Pirate ship.

Those 2 sets are Pirate inspired, but definitely not Pirates themed.  Hoping for a legit Pirates theme soon!

On 4/26/2018 at 1:28 AM, Bricked1980 said:

My hope is that we'll get a complete new wave of sets similar to what we saw in 2015, or some sort of D2C Pirate ship.

I hope the new wave isn't a redo like 2015 was of the 2009 wave with recolor and smaller builds.

On 27.4.2018 at 1:25 PM, x105Black said:

Those 2 sets are Pirate inspired, but definitely not Pirates themed.  Hoping for a legit Pirates theme soon!

Aye, they are both not "Pirates" sets. They are taking designs of old "Pirates" sets though, and adapt them into a new setting (rollercoaster and treehouse in these cases). I can not say for sure what the intention is, but I would assume it is meant to both appeal to AFOLS (pirates nostalgia), as well as introduce those designs in another form back to younger customers. I kind of hope it is some form of "building up excitement" for net year - I share your hope for a new "Pirates" theme too!

14 hours ago, KotZ said:

I hope the new wave isn't a redo like 2015 was of the 2009 wave with recolor and smaller builds.

Aye again. I doubt anybody can seriously deny that the 2015 lacked inspiration. The set were not bad at all, but you had more or less  seen everything before. Times have changed a bit since then, and Lego has used many new parts and building techniques since then. Just think of the current "Destiny's Bounty"! I have high hopes for next year. :classic:

16 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Aye again. I doubt anybody can seriously deny that the 2015 lacked inspiration. The set were not bad at all, but you had more or less  seen everything before. Times have changed a bit since then, and Lego has used many new parts and building techniques since then. Just think of the current "Destiny's Bounty"! I have high hopes for next year. :classic:

I think the 2015 sets were very inspired in terms of techniques. Lots of great stuff going on like the use of masonry bricks in place of what would have been printed/stickered wall panels in past sets, very nice rockwork in some of the sets, delightful shipwreck in the smallest set, tattered capes as sails on the raft, etc. While it wasn't a new idea, I LOVED seeing the brick-built skull gate on the Treasure Island set, since I always loved seeing that technique in classic Pirates sets! Same goes to the throwbacks to specific classic pirate characters like Redbeard and Broadside. In terms of subject matter, though, I agree it was mostly stuff we'd seen before, and from an AFOL's perspective not even that long before.

I wonder, though, how much novelty people here would actually like to see? Like, would you be OK with concepts from past Pirates sets that haven't been revisited in a long time? Stuff like an islander faction, a Spanish Armada inspired faction, smaller pirate ships like Renegade Runner, and bigger pirate forts like Rock Island Refuge? Or would you prefer totally new stuff like a Chinese, Japanese, or Ottoman inspired navy or pirate faction? How much fantasy would you want to see — would brick-built sea monsters, islanders with magical powers, or a non-human faction like the Rito or Zoras from the Zelda series be a breath of fresh air, or a step too far into Ninjago/Chima territory? Likewise, would you prefer colors to err on the side of realism, or would you be willing to accept, say, a ship with gold and blue sails?

24 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Or would you prefer totally new stuff like a Chinese, Japanese, or Ottoman inspired navy or pirate faction?

I think an Oriental Pirates theme would be cool to see for a change, but I suppose it would have to differ as much as it can from Ninjago to keep similarities from clashing.

27 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

How much fantasy would you want to see — would brick-built sea monsters, islanders with magical powers, or a non-human faction like the Rito or Zoras from the Zelda series be a breath of fresh air, or a step too far into Ninjago/Chima territory?

Yes to brick-built sea monsters, and as far as non-human elements go, I'd really like to see either ghost or undead pirates as the heroes' adversaries.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Stuff like an islander faction

bigger pirate forts like Rock Island Refuge?

brick-built sea monsters, islanders with magical powers

colors to err on the side of realism

Yes, very much.

The rest, no, not really.

Honestly I just want to see Pirates come back in pretty much any capacity. So long as the sets are well designed I'll even take rehashes (I loved the 2015 theme for instance), though I would still like to get something new. Personally I'd like to add my voice to wanting more fantasy elements. Something kind of like what Castle did in 2008, but with Pirates. so yes to islanders with some magic powers, and ghost/skeleton pirates, and of course sea monsters! I think that would add some new life to the theme.

I keep having this recurring dream the next wave of pirate sets is focused on Islanders...  but they're not the same as the Indigo Islander, they look a lot more fierce.

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

I keep having this recurring dream the next wave of pirate sets is focused on Islanders...  but they're not the same as the Indigo Islander, they look a lot more fierce.

Sounds like a good dream!

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

I keep having a recurring nightmare. Next year will see the launch of lego's latest new theme... "Nexo Pirates".

Arrrrgh!!! :laugh:

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I keep having a recurring nightmare. Next year will see the launch of lego's latest new theme... "Nexo Pirates".

Arrrrgh!!! :laugh:

I could really dig some space pirates or something along those lines, but as long as LEGO is making their own movies and TV shows, I don't think they want to encourage digital piracy. :tongue:

On 5/12/2018 at 6:08 AM, x105Black said:

Sounds like a good dream!

I also have a recurring dream about walking through a store and discovering new Imperial Guard sets that I was unaware of...

But I can never quite seem to remember what the sets look like afterwards.

If the imperial armada was based on conquistadors, that means one enemy of the pirates would technically be pirates themselves! Meaning, there could be a pirate theme circled around the only subtheme that barely had sets. Plus, they could bring back the islanders too! :pir-laugh: Alas, I know this would never happen, but it would be creative, historical and fun!

Edited by Legoanonymous

On 22-5-2018 at 9:47 PM, Barmaley said:

I think next pirates series will be in 2021 (2009....2015.....(6 years)....2021):pir_laugh2:

I fear it won't be the first half of 2019 indeed... :sceptic:

Let's hope for second half!

11 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Unfortunately, I believe this is true, :sadnew: unless Lego suddenly decides to  a.) turn the pirates theme into an action - story theme like nijago or nexo knights . Or, b.) make pirates the same when they started and make sets from the theme every two years. Theory one is the most likely, because the other three original themes had the same treatment. ( Town continued as world city and city, space continued as one of the old subthemes, space police and castle had ninjago from the ninja subtheme along with nexo knights.)

12 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Well I would at least hope they might acknowledge the 30th anniversary next year in some way.

If a new wave of sets is too much to hope for then perhaps a single D2C pirate ship set might be the most likely option.

Gee...just one D2C ship that can compete with the 10210 Imperial Flagship and isn't a rotting ghost ship, that's all I need.  Imperial Flagships now are priced as insanely as 10179 Millennium Falcons circa 2016.

9 minutes ago, icm said:

Gee...just one D2C ship that can compete with the 10210 Imperial Flagship and isn't a rotting ghost ship, that's all I need.

I agree.

I've said this before but I'd love to see a rebooted and redesigned version of black seas baracuda, aimed at adult collectors.

If they could create something with the size and scale of 10210 and with the amount of detail seen in the ninjago movie ship from last year then I can only imagine how awesome this would be.

That actually doesn't seem bad for the parts, and even on its own seems like a fun set! I might pick that up and either use if for pirates parts, or I might add it to the amusement park as a kiddy roller coaster.