David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

46 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

The whole Aztec culture thing has be done as well: Legends of Chima

How exactly? Are you equating a figure with a bird's head with the "whole" Aztec culture, as in that is all they are, bird mask wearing people? Or did the Mesoamerican's drive Speedorz?

6 minutes ago, MAB said:

How exactly? Are you equating a figure with a bird's head with the "whole" Aztec culture, as in that is all they are, bird mask wearing people? Or did the Mesoamerican's drive Speedorz?

Wait, the CMF minifig with golden BIRD mask is widely acclaimed and praisen... And now you are here tackling my point about Chima...

As far as I know, the whole Chima thing is about animals... So please don't throw simple accusations to me... I am not saying that Aztecs are animals, neither that Mesoamericans are driving Speedorz. But the whole Chima theme is based on the Mesoamerican legends. And legends often depict someones culture.

Indeed, it weren't the common people of the Aztec (for example) culture, the hunters, the wives, etc that were shown in the Chima series... It was about their legends. About creatures fighting with eachother.

I do wonder how a complete theme about the Aztecs would sell. And how accurate it would be (given their history of warmonning, rituals, ...)? Or are that elements that should be left out because it depicts Aztecs as uncivilised??? I am still waiting for the first real "Rome" or "Ancient Greece" set (which I guess would sell better)...

Some people here are stepped on their toes because the islanders are depicted like stereotypes. But they can't counter the argument that they exactly look like some island tribes (not nowadays, but 300 years ago).

And please don't throw "Mesoamericans" in the "Islanders" discussion, because there are way more tribes that fit their description better (as far as I know, Aztecs for example weren't exactly Islanders)...

3 hours ago, Maxim I said:

And please don't throw "Mesoamericans" in the "Islanders" discussion, because there are way more tribes that fit their description better (as far as I know, Aztecs for example weren't exactly Islanders)...

You did. Aztecs were MESOAMERICANS.

3 hours ago, Maxim I said:

But the whole Chima theme is based on the Mesoamerican legends.

Have you watched any of Chima? It is not based on Aztec legends.

1 minute ago, MAB said:

Perhaps it though was lightly inspired after such lore, at least aesthetically speaking? I mean, Bionicle was very much inspired after Polynesian mythology, right?

13 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Perhaps it though was lightly inspired after such lore, at least aesthetically speaking? I mean, Bionicle was very much inspired after Polynesian mythology, right?

I cannot see it. What is the Chi in Aztec culture? I don't think any of the stories are based on Aztec mythology. And why use animals that are not from those parts? Many cultures have some mythology based on animals. Chima is about a civilization in which there are multiple tribes, one of which governs and distributes resource to try to be fair to all for stability and others that try to take power. The fact that the characters are animals is no more Aztec than it is Hindi, Greek, or George Orwell's Animal Farm.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

You did. Aztecs were MESOAMERICANS.

I talked about Aztecs because other did :p

That was not directed at you ;)

8 hours ago, Maxim I said:

As far as I know, the whole Chima thing is about animals...

But the whole Chima theme is based on the Mesoamerican legends. And legends often depict someones culture.

I'm not so sure about that.

Still, Islanders would be great for a Pirates line.  And even though Aztecs may not have been Islanders, I think LEGO could take influence from them in their designs.

On 20.3.2018 at 3:29 PM, Maxim I said:

What I find remarkable is that Playmobil has a non-stop Pirate line (with multiple vessels being sold at the same time), but somehow, Lego doesn't find it interesting enough (even they got a whole Pirate section at Legoland).

Playmobil generally has longer living products since they have to make new modls for every single set they create, meaning that when one ship is phased out another comes in, mainly because they improved the design. On the other hand, Playmobil is much more figure-centered than Lego.  Most of the buildings are more like the sets of a theatre, where the story takes place in, but they aren't really great by themselves. Lego on the other hand has to give good builds.

I am very excited when they are going to release the new pirate packs in 2019!

I hope they will be not too expensive like the Jurassic World Sets releasing in April 2018. They do have a price of nearly 30 Cents per Part.

Just now, Robin_IV said:

Wait, pirate packs? Am I missing something? :look:

51 minutes ago, Robin_IV said:

Is this just wishful thinking or do you know something we don't?

4 hours ago, Robin_IV said:

Oh that  does sound exciting, but like @Digger of Bricks I've heard nothing about it, have I missed something? or is this the first mention?

I wonder who these pirates will be up against, probably redcoats:wub: or the Armada :classic: as it was bluecoats last time. 

Edited by Agent Kallus

4 hours ago, Robin_IV said:

I hope they will be not too expensive like the Jurassic World Sets releasing in April 2018. They do have a price of nearly 30 Cents per Part.

Hopefully we aren't gassing this up too much but if that's true, it's exciting. Do you have any more information?

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

I don't know if I trust this rumor to be true, but it would be nice if it were.

I think you're probably right. I don't think there is any solid evidence at the moment to support this rumor as we'd have probably heard something by now.

That's not to say there won't be pirates in 2019 though. It would make sense with it being the 30th anniversary.

No no Guys. This is not proved. I just read a comment in this topic here before which said, that there will be possibly a new pirate realease in 2019 because of the 30th year anniversary of the LEGO Pirate Theme.

The Pirate Theme was introduced first time in 1989! (http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Pirates)

I wrote:

On 24.3.2018 at 3:43 PM, Robin_IV said:

Because I was not sure. Maybe I should used the word "if" of "wheter" instead of using "when". Sorry. Im not that strong in the english vocabulary.

So my intention was to say:

If they are going to release.

Edited by Robin_IV

1 hour ago, Robin_IV said:

No no Guys. This is not proved.

So my intention was to say:

If they are going to release.

Oh sorry :sceptic:, Still it would be great if they release more pirates next year. 

I guess your meaning was lost in translation as you suggested, we probably should'nt've  been so quick to presume your meaning.

11 hours ago, Robin_IV said:

No no Guys. This is not proved. I just read a comment in this topic here before which said, that there will be possibly a new pirate realease in 2019 because of the 30th year anniversary of the LEGO Pirate Theme.

Thanks for letting us know.

Let's not lose hope though! There is always a chance we could see some new pirates sets next year.

Not sure if this was brought up before, but in the upcoming Minifigure Factory promo set, there is a pirate microfig included. Not much, but it is nice to see.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:10 AM, Lord Buckethead said:

So you're arguing for better representation for island natives, while at the same time suggesting the pirates be depicted as the good guys/allies? 

Sounds like the show Black Sails. That would be a cool theme.

On 4/5/2018 at 1:54 PM, KotZ said:

Sounds like the show Black Sails. That would be a cool theme.

Well, Black Sails IS based on Treasure Island, which if I remember correctly is a public domain work. While I doubt that Lego would put out sets based on the book, they could certainly take a lot of influence from it. Although considering that Treasure Island basically defined most of the tropes that we associate with pirates today, I'd argue that Lego already has taken a lot of influence from it.

Personally though I think it would be nice to have some fantastical elements in a new pirates line. Be it taking all the unused tropes like undead, voodoo and curses, or something more extreme like a steampunk feel or some variant thereof.

Then again we already more or less got that with Ninjago a few years back, and I don't know if Lego would be too interested in doing it again so soon.

Edited by shadefoundry

A better quality image of the Pirate Rollercoaster has leaked online. It's now possible to get a better idea of what's included. There is a cannon and several other elements that should please classic pirate fans. 

The Roller Coaster looks OK and includes some homages to classic Lego sets, but there are no new pirate torsos included unfortunately except possibly the one on the little boy which was too small to make out in the image I saw.