David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

1 hour ago, Atrius Kain said:

We are getting a minifig Peter Pan set but it's a book set.

Well there's already a minifig along those lines...

image.png

I want to put on record that I am a huge castle and LOTR fan. So yes I am very excited about us getting a medieval village and Barad-dur possibly in 2024.

Here is the Promobricks article just in case you haven't heard yet: 

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-leak-umfrage-2023/157463/?fbclid=PAAaYiCifqLNaWro61Ayy_-H0IuDjZ7JJ4mulvCfRuDmkO0BSwFRHHlozU52A

But who else is disappointed that there is once again nothing pirate related coming out. I feel like a broken record at this point but it really seems that Lego just decided to forget one of it's most beloved themes after Barracuda Bay and the Creator 3-1 ship.

7 minutes ago, azog said:

But who else is disappointed that there is once again nothing pirate related coming out. I feel like a broken record at this point but it really seems that Lego just decided to forget one of it's most beloved themes after Barracuda Bay and the Creator 3-1 ship.

True! While the whole forum is on fire because of all the exiting leaks, pirates fans can stay in bed :laugh:

I’m heartbroken as usual, as a classic pirates, castle fan I am happy but pirates just can’t catch a break 😭😭

12 hours ago, azog said:

But who else is disappointed that there is once again nothing pirate related coming out.

At this point I'm no longer disappointed...  I expect this to be the case.

Is that indication of how bad things have gotten?

I think it may be 2025 before we see Pirates come back in a big way again; the recent major Pirate releases were 2009, 2015, and 2020, so more or less five years apart. In the meantime it does seem like the designers are making sure the molds stay in use, so that's hopeful.

Just wanted to say how utterly depressing it is to see pirates left in the dust once again, you'd think we would've seen Captain Hook's ship with Disney's 100th anniversary or a new Black Pearl since this year Pirates of the Caribbean will have it's 20th anniversary but why would Lego even bother when they can pump out more Harry Potter and Star Wars...

11 hours ago, _R_R_ said:

Just wanted to say how utterly depressing it is to see pirates left in the dust once again, you'd think we would've seen Captain Hook's ship with Disney's 100th anniversary or a new Black Pearl since this year Pirates of the Caribbean will have it's 20th anniversary but why would Lego even bother when they can pump out more Harry Potter and Star Wars...

What we probably all would love is the pirate ship town from Hook (not gonna happen), but a good representation from the Disney Peter Pan would be welcome.

On the POTC front: IIRC Depp was originally contracted for five POTC sequels, but was released early. He isn't listed as being connected to the, currently untitled, POTC 6 on IMDB (one of the few Disney movies Bruckheimer is still attached to). Depp has a couple of movies in post production, one an animated movie continuing a voice role he's been doing for some time, and the other a French bio pic where he plays Louis XV. The costumes on that second film would be great fodder for some pirates figs, but the story is too adult, plus it's in French, so there would be too small an interest in the North American market (I might look for it on streaming at some point). The director of the last POTC movie is attached to the hopefully upcoming POTC 6, and the scriptwriter listed is the creator of Chernobyl, and The Last of Us. Could be good, and very Lego worthy.

On 2/2/2023 at 9:49 AM, Mister Phes said:

Is that indication of how bad things have gotten?

In a way. :pir-cry_sad:

We can always hope for more pirate sets in the future. :pir-thumb:

10 hours ago, gedren_y said:

What we probably all would love is the pirate ship town from Hook (not gonna happen), but a good representation from the Disney Peter Pan would be welcome.

On the POTC front: IIRC Depp was originally contracted for five POTC sequels, but was released early. He isn't listed as being connected to the, currently untitled, POTC 6 on IMDB (one of the few Disney movies Bruckheimer is still attached to). Depp has a couple of movies in post production, one an animated movie continuing a voice role he's been doing for some time, and the other a French bio pic where he plays Louis XV. The costumes on that second film would be great fodder for some pirates figs, but the story is too adult, plus it's in French, so there would be too small an interest in the North American market (I might look for it on streaming at some point). The director of the last POTC movie is attached to the hopefully upcoming POTC 6, and the scriptwriter listed is the creator of Chernobyl, and The Last of Us. Could be good, and very Lego worthy.

That would be awesome but I'm never counting on any sets from "Hook", our best chance of getting any Neveralnd/Captain Hook pirate sets or his ship is with Disney's 100th anniversary but none of the leaks point to them making anything for Peter Pan. :pirate-sad

I'm all caught up on what's unfolding behind the scenes when it comes to PoTC but there's no reason for TLG to wait for whatever PoTC6 turns out to be just to give us another pirate ship which will probably be a few years away from now anyway, no that isn't fair when Harry Potter and Star Wars keept getting the same sets over and over again even when it's not an important anniversary, "The Curse of the Black Pearl" will be celebrating it's 20th anniversary this year so it would be the perfect opportunity for them to finally give us a proper Black Pearl with more of the human crew, it's a licensed Disney porperty and despite what happened with Johnny Depp everyone still loves PoTC and Jack Sparrow I think it would be a huge missed opportunity if TLG just let the anniversary sail by without giving us at least a new Pearl or just something from PoTC.

Alas I've lost all my hope to be honest, the way we and pirate themes have been treated is completely disheartening, even the Castle theme is getting more love and they're reviving LoTR with two huge and expensive sets and that line came out right after the PoTC line, I think TLG isn't really passionate about the high seas like we are and they probably have some market analytics showing pirate sets won't sell well compared to all their original and licensed themes. :pir-bawling:

What about the rumoured Dreamzzz theme?

https://www.brickfanatics.com/first-rumoured-list-lego-dreamzzz-2023-sets

Apparently, it will be a theme where a bunch of characters jump between dreams, which may be twisted versions of more classic LEGO themes like Pirates, Castle, etc.

Most importantly, the list does include this set: 71469 Knightmare Shark Ship with 1,389 pieces.

While this does give off heavy Time Cruisers vibes, let's hope this time it will be done much better and we have a chance to get a decent-looking new pirate-ish ship.

7 hours ago, Dreamweb said:

Apparently, it will be a theme where a bunch of characters jump between dreams, which may be twisted versions of more classic LEGO themes like Pirates, Castle, etc.

Most importantly, the list does include this set: 71469 Knightmare Shark Ship with 1,389 pieces.

While this does give off heavy Time Cruisers vibes, let's hope this time it will be done much better and we have a chance to get a decent-looking new pirate-ish ship.

I'm actually very interested to see what this theme is all about and how the sets turn out. There is certainly potential for some Pirate-adjacent goodies!

43 minutes ago, PxChris said:

I'm actually very interested to see what this theme is all about and how the sets turn out. There is certainly potential for some Pirate-adjacent goodies!

So it will be another one of these Vidiyo type-things,  I.e a pastiche of typically unrelated elements including outrageous colours rendered in nonsensical designs, with a few thematic elements thrown in so they can name the set something relatable.

Like this "Punk Pirate Ship"

image.png

Ok, so here's looking at 71469 Knightmare Shark Ship

Oh, it 100% for sure is going to be completely nonsensical!

Butttttt.... It could still end up being fun!

Or... it could also end up giving the MOC builders lots of cool parts to work with.

In any case, I am interested to see what comes of it all. I actually liked the whole Punk Pirate band from Vidiyo. Was it really "pirates"? Nope! But it was fun! And the prints and pieces were great.

IMG_20221215_152950_795.thumb.jpg.67227777a59f77fd90938c1fa969286e.jpg

A "Shark Ship" could possibly bring (back) light/dark grey or black hull parts.

LEGO has been using and recoloring "pirate" ship hull parts in themes like Friends or Mario in different colors more then once (Nougat, White or Coral)

Edited by TeriXeri

On 2/4/2023 at 1:04 AM, Jack Sassy said:

In a way. :pir-cry_sad:

We can always hope for more pirate sets in the future. :pir-thumb:

Stupid Lego luring me out of my dark ages with Barracuda Bay and then teasing us with the 90th anniversary poll where Pirates+Imperials placed at least 4th, but then not having anything except a (to me) disappointing Creator pirate ship for three years. Even though I bought three PoBB it's not really the same buying the same set over and over. I need at least an Imperials set to go with it.

9 hours ago, Dreamweb said:

Could a Knightmare Shark Ship mean it's more of a medieval themed ship than a pirates era ship?

17 minutes ago, Jiesdeo said:

Stupid Lego luring me out of my dark ages with Barracuda Bay and then teasing us with the 90th anniversary

Do not give up hope, there could something in store for us at some point (I think) :pir-grin:. I meself am getting tired of this waiting game, not knowing if there will be a prize in the end. :pir-upset:

19 hours ago, Dreamweb said:

Not really interested in this aside from the possible grey hull pieces like it has been mentioned, I'd rather get an actual pirate ship than whatever this shark ship might be which could not even be a proper ship, the Black Pearl is still going up in price on Bricklink and other places they could easily put a new one out for the 20th anniversary of PoTC and make some profit if that's their main concern regarding pirates as a whole.

But like I said I'll take anything at this point I just want a new pirate set already! :pir_laugh2:

On 2/6/2023 at 4:26 PM, Mister Phes said:

So it will be another one of these Vidiyo type-things,  I.e a pastiche of typically unrelated elements including outrageous colours rendered in nonsensical designs, with a few thematic elements thrown in so they can name the set something relatable.

On 2/6/2023 at 5:20 PM, Jiesdeo said:

Could a Knightmare Shark Ship mean it's more of a medieval themed ship than a pirates era ship?

You may both be correct, of course.

Heck, it may even be something like a living ship, literally a ship that is also a shark. With a mouth, teeth, etc.

We'll just have to wait and see. But maybe, MAYBE it'll have enough of a true pirate ship in it to appeal to some of us.

I never had any interest in the Punk Pirate Ship, or, while we're at it, in the slightly piratey Friends set 41375 with its 2D pirate ship. However, I did get the Flying Time Vessel from the abovementioned Time Cruisers series once, for its unique hull and some other usefull pieces. On the other hand, I skipped the weird MetalBeard's Sea Cow (I would consider buying it if it were smaller and more affordable). So, for me it's a bit hitty-missy with those not-quite-pirate-ships. That's why I'm not ruling out the possibility of getting this future ship. Time will tell... :pir-classic:

On 2/8/2023 at 4:19 AM, Dreamweb said:

I never had any interest in the Punk Pirate Ship, or, while we're at it, in the slightly piratey Friends set 41375 with its 2D pirate ship. However, I did get the Flying Time Vessel from the abovementioned Time Cruisers series once, for its unique hull and some other usefull pieces. On the other hand, I skipped the weird MetalBeard's Sea Cow (I would consider buying it if it were smaller and more affordable). So, for me it's a bit hitty-missy with those not-quite-pirate-ships. That's why I'm not ruling out the possibility of getting this future ship. Time will tell... :pir-classic:

I'm just crazy enough to like them all... I just enjoy the wackiness I suppose. The SeaCow was an awesome steam punk style vessel, the Vidiyo stage/ship I really enjoyed for the crazy figs as well as the music angle. But then again, I even find stuff to enjoy about the 4+ Juniors pirates sets!

On 2/8/2023 at 4:03 PM, Jiesdeo said:

Another Pirate themed Ideas submission was rejected today (Armada Port). So no hope there.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/354659d4-9a5d-49f0-8636-60fa945ada39

Not surprising, at least the Nightmare Before Christimas pick has potential to be a nice set but I don't even know what the hell they saw in the london telephone box... they could've picked pretty much any other idea and it would've been much better but oh well... back to dreamin' I go! :pir-sad2:

11 hours ago, PxChris said:

I even find stuff to enjoy about the 4+ Juniors pirates sets!

The 4+ Pirates produced one of the best ship hulls available from LEGO! :pirate: