David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

35 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Don't think we'll bother running it through our news cycle though... or should we?

image.png

Skulls, a shark and a massive boat? Can’t really get more pirate without actually being pirate themed

If you disregard the engine-like thingy, this actually looks like something which might appear in Pirates of the Caribbean.

I’ve always felt we needed some more fantasy ideas in Pirates, like a ghost ship with a skeleton crew.

1 hour ago, Dreamweb said:

If you disregard the engine-like thingy, this actually looks like something which might appear in Pirates of the Caribbean.

That's not actually a good thing in my opinion. :pir-grin:

2 hours ago, AstroFalcon said:

Skulls, a shark and a massive boat? Can’t really get more pirate without actually being pirate themed

Well, that's the entire point of this forum, and the related Classic Pirates blog and social media profiles... the sets should  actually be pirated themed in the vein of the classic sets from the 80s and 90s... not spaceships with a few elements thrown in to make them look piratey.

7 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

That's not actually a good thing in my opinion.

Agreed. I'm not a PotC fan myself. However, this is just an objective observation. :pir-classic: It does have a bit of a similar feel to the Silent Mary set, which I was never interested in to be honest. But this one is a bit more appealing to me. I'll just wait and see if I want to get it or not.

Still hoping the Eldorado Fortress remake will be the set we are all waiting for though. :pirate:

5 minutes ago, Dreamweb said:

Still hoping the Eldorado Fortress remake will be the set we are all waiting for though. :pirate:

Exactly.  A real classic-inspired set.  Not another novelty pirate-themed exclusive or some bizarre fusion of science fiction, fantasy and pirates in outlandish colours (exactly what this Nightmare ship is).

A set that looks like an updated version of something we saw in the 80s and 90s is what the fans really want.

Upon closer inspection, the Nightmare Shark Ship is a 2 in 1 set:

71469_alt2.png

The alt build has wheels:

71469_alt7.png

However, there is also a picture of the 'basic' version which is the starting point for making both alternative versions, and this is probably my favourite one (I would just add the sails from the 'main' build):

71469_alt6.png

You can also see that the hull has some rather large stickers. :thumbdown:

Hmm, that basic hull build has me rethinking the set; I have a crew of skeleton pirates that would really work for.

Edited by TalonCard

8 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

My expectations were low, but the Dreamzzz ship is even worse :pir_laugh2:

Wait, whut: Dreamzzz?? Is that actual LEGO? :pir-sick:
It looks ridiculous. LEGO doensn't need all that over the top stuff, in my opinion.
But hé, ok, I'm from the eighties :pir-huzzah2:

12 hours ago, Dreamweb said:

Upon closer inspection, the Nightmare Shark Ship is a 2 in 1 set:

WHEELS!!! scream2.png

It gets WORSE, not better!

10 hours ago, TalonCard said:

Hmm, that basic hull build has me rethinking the set; I have a crew of skeleton pirates that would really work for.

Like all these recent pirate-themed sets that are far removed from the classic style:  use the parts for building something that is.

18 hours ago, Dreamweb said:

Agreed. I'm not a PotC fan myself. However, this is just an objective observation. :pir-classic: It does have a bit of a similar feel to the Silent Mary set, which I was never interested in to be honest. But this one is a bit more appealing to me. I'll just wait and see if I want to get it or not.

I really though lego missed a trick when they decided to do the silent Mary instead of the Flying Dutchman or Black Pearl.  In fact I’d of took a Queen Ann’s Revenge over the silent Mary as well.  

The QAR was a pretty decent set. The only PotC ship which I actually bought. I skipped the Black Pearl which was a bit disappointing.

It might take a bit of doing, but all those black slopes could go some ways towards a brick built hull. I also have uses for pink and purple. The fantasy elements are making me want to step back into some other themes as well.

I actually really wanted to like the Nightmare Shark Ship. I love wacky builds and totally off the wall fantasy stuff. I was quite a fan of the Vidiyo Punk Pirate stuff for example.

But... overall the ship just isn't really grabbing my attention all that much. Maybe that will change after I've seen some more in-depth reviews and photos of it, but at this time I think it's likely going to end up as a pass for me unfortunately.

I’m not too into remake Pirates sets that are TOO faithful to the older sets…

so, I would like to see a new in-house pirate theme like the 2015 one.  He about a fantasy pirate theme? For example, meramids attacking a pirate. Rowboat? Or a new captain meets a sea sorceress at a remote island. Or a cool kraken. 

51 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I’m not too into remake Pirates sets that are TOO faithful to the older sets…

so, I would like to see a new in-house pirate theme like the 2015 one.  He about a fantasy pirate theme? For example, meramids attacking a pirate. Rowboat? Or a new captain meets a sea sorceress at a remote island. Or a cool kraken. 

Honestly, a Kraken battle set sounds right up LEGO's alley.  I would love to see that.

But I just can't get soldiers versus pirates out of my head when I think of a LEGO Pirates line.

I think there is no chance of any history themed theme at the moment. Be it pirates, castle or any other theme. My only hope is a new PotC movie. I think Lego will continue to make big, expensive nostalgia fueled sets for adults and as the next pirate themed set we might see a ship after BB and Eldorado Fortress. But a full theme with small, medium and large playsets, with the most expensive set being around 150€ and the smallest around 10€, is simply impossible nowadays. And such a theme would always have to compete with Ninjago and Ninjago had some quite diverse waves, with a broad range from Orcs to submarines to mechs and what not.

And even in this forum i often read that kids of today do not care about history themed sets. I don't know if this is true in real life :shrug_confused:

When i was a kid my parents would take my brother and me to many castles and ruins, to ships and museums. Or we went to fairs where knights in full armor would reenact jousting. I still remember how impressed i was when i first saw Dover Castle or Carcassonne. Especially Carcassone looked like some unreal fata morgana to me (as a kid) when it emerged at the horizon. I read books about knights and pirates, liked to watch movies and was interested in anything from these periods of time. And when i built with Lego i always tried to be historically accurate, despite the limits of the classic Lego. But we had no mobiles phones and tik tok back in the day, so this is just a anecdote :pir_laugh2:

So i do conclude that the only chance we have to get a wave of sets is a new PotC movie. Apart from this there will only be the occasional nostalgia fueled AFOL set.

From a moccer's perspective sets are not that important anyways, but the minifigs!

31 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

And such a theme would always have to compete with Ninjago and Ninjago had some quite diverse waves, with a broad range from Orcs to submarines to mechs and what not.

Ninjago has become the "catch all" branding for non-licensed historic and adventure themes, just like "City" is now the "catch all" branding for non-licensed themes set in modern, I.e. Town, Space, Arctic Adventure, etc.

Which from a marketing perspective is more efficient, because why put funds and resources towards marketing obsolete themes, when they can reintroduce them as sub-themes of established, long running themes which are already planted into the consciousness of consumers.

44 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Ninjago has become the "catch all" branding for non-licensed historic and adventure themes, just like "City" is now the "catch all" branding for non-licensed themes set in modern, I.e. Town, Space, Arctic Adventure, etc.

Which from a marketing perspective is more efficient, because why put funds and resources towards marketing obsolete themes, when they can reintroduce them as sub-themes of established, long running themes which are already planted into the consciousness of consumers.

Exactly! Ninjago has been successful for such a long time now. Those ninjas can travel to space or under the sea. They can sail ships or pilote mechs and planes. They can fight various villains, possesed snakes, orcs or dragons. They build temples and cities, history themed or cyper punk'd. While everything is possible in Ninjago, it renders many other themes impossible. Curse and blessing :pir_laugh2:

Yeah a new full, in-house theme may be more challenging than the past themes, take a look at Hidden Side, Nexo Knights, Vidiyo. Persoanlly, I really love in-house themes than any licensed and minidoll-focused themes (except for Harry Potter and Disney themes). We now have DreamZzz, which I appreicate that Lego introduces the younger audience to.  Anyways, I’m saying I’m not really into remake sets that are too faithful to the old ones (nosgalia stuff) like El Dorado.  I would love to see something different and new about Pirates sets. I guess I can keep dreaming about a new pirate theme myself…

Sure, potential PotC heme would have great, useful parts, which I like it! 

1 hour ago, Lion King said:

Yeah a new full, in-house theme may be more challenging than the past themes, take a look at Hidden Side

And immediately I'm like "What's Hidden Side?"

That theme seems to have slipped past me. :pir-grin:

10 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

And immediately I'm like "What's Hidden Side?"

That theme seems to have slipped past me. :pir-grin:

Hidden Side is now the ghost from the past, lol. 

11 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Hidden Side is now the ghost from the past, lol. 

The LEGO Group should have released it as part of Ninjago and I might be aware of it. :pir_laugh2:

54 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

The LEGO Group should have released it as part of Ninjago and I might be aware of it. :pir_laugh2:

Haha, well Hidden Side used to revolt around “ordinary” high school students in Newsbury but the general public were unaware that the teenagers were battling army of ghosts, similiar to DreamZzz theme (teenagers wet to Dream World while people in real world were unaware). I really like these cool parts like Jack Davis’ hat+hood piece, a cool ghost dog mold, etc. 

anyways, I apologize for off topic since this is a pirate thread!