David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

For those not yet aware, there is a discussion of New Pirate Themes in the Action and Adventure Themes subforum:

Mostly, people are discussing how Pirates could be made into a Big Bang theme (much like Castle was with Nexo Knights).

On 01/06/2018 at 1:41 PM, x105Black said:

Mostly, people are discussing how Pirates could be made into a Big Bang theme (much like Castle was with Nexo Knights).

There are already pirate elements in a Big Bang theme (Ninjago).

The new pirates theme should be brought back in its classic form (same as they should have done with castle). 

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it...

On 02/06/2018 at 1:46 PM, ElectroDiva said:

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it...

Presumably, if they decide not to do it any more, then it is broken from their viewpoint.

On 3/3/2018 at 9:32 PM, TalonCard said:

Fellow Eurobrickster @Sadie Meowsalot did a lot of work to research the development of early LEGO comics, to give full credit.

I've never traversed the continent of Europe deconstructing iconic monuments with a megaphone, if that's what you're saying.

15 hours ago, MAB said:

Presumably, if they decide not to do it any more, then it is broken from their viewpoint.

Fair point, but I don’t think thats on the cards.

It’s not a very active theme admittedly but there *are* still occasional sets that come out.

Of course I’d love to see them go big with it again- with multiple waves etc, but if that’s at the expense of butchering the theme the same way they did with Castle and Nexo Knights, I’d rather stick with fewer sets. YMMV

In Pirates news, Metalbeard will be returning in The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part.  He looks to have a new appearance, which might bring nice new pieces for Pirates builders.  I'm hoping there is at least one Pirates themed set on the way as well.

Still not really Pirates, but it feels like LEGO keep circling around the theme.

I would love to see a brand new Lego pirate ship, like TLG did with the last Imperial Flagship:

3 masts, brick-built hull, more than 2500 pieces, 7 sails at least..., you know, something wich mixes and takes the best of the Imperial Flagship for its shape and the building techniques of the Ninjago Destiny’s Bounty. But i will be happy with a re-release of the Imperial Flagship or anything else new like a big skull island or a shipwreck with a kraken.

The new Pirates of the Caribbean movie is coming, the new Lego Movie with Metalbeard stuff too, and it’s the Lego Classic Pirates anniversary next year. Lego has a great opportunity to come with new pirates themed sets. Let’s hope the anniversary set will not be this year employees gift! ^^

Where you got information that new PoTC movie is coming?

I would like to see some big (ucs/d2c) ship for pirates, also whole line would be perfect but we will see in future.

On 6/25/2018 at 8:04 AM, sebitsena said:

3 masts, brick-built hull, more than 2500 pieces, 7 sails at least..., you know, something wich mixes and takes the best of the Imperial Flagship for its shape and the building techniques of the Ninjago Destiny’s Bounty.

Judging from Destiny's Bounty, I'm willing to bet that not only could LEGO do this, they could probably do it for cheaper than what the original Imperial Flagship cost.

A kraken would be quite nice actually… it's been a while since we had a big brick-built cephalopod in sets, and I quite enjoyed those in the Aqua Raiders and Atlantis themes. LEGO has a lot more nice curvy elements and joint elements than they had when either of those came out and so could probably do an even better job today!

Opening up the Pirates theme to more fantasy material would also allow for other sorts of monsters themes like those two have touched on, like sea serpents or giant sharks. LEGO could also potentially introduce something of a quest narrative with special collectible treasures for the pirates to hunt down and fight over, like the sort we've so often seen in themes like Orient Expedition, Atlantis, Monster Fighters, and Ninjago.

Here's a random thought that occurred to me recently: what if LEGO did a pirates theme where the principle conflict wasn't between roguish pirates and lawful soldiers, but rather between two rival pirate crews? Outside the Pirates of the Caribbean license, LEGO has done this once before — in the 4+ Pirates theme, which had the rival crews of Captain Redbeard and Captain Kragg. (The mainline Pirates theme did have Captain Ironhook, but there was very little in the Pirates sets or media to establish that he and Captain Redbeard commanded opposing crews).

Revisiting that theme structure could potentially boost both the appeal of the Pirates theme with kids, as I think generally pirates tend to be more iconic and ubiquitous in kids' media than soldiers of that era. And this way rather than just having one unified "Pirates" aesthetic, the two crews could be given contrasting color schemes, design motifs, and characterization.

11 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Judging from Destiny's Bounty, I'm willing to bet that not only could LEGO do this, they could probably do it for cheaper than what the original Imperial Flagship cost.

I can just imagine how great a potential Pirate ship would be if it was done with the same sort features as Destiny's Bounty.

Opening up the Pirates theme to more fantasy material would also allow for other sorts of monsters themes like those two have touched on, like sea serpents or giant sharks. LEGO could also potentially introduce something of a quest narrative with special collectible treasures for the pirates to hunt down and fight over, like the sort we've so often seen in themes like Orient Expedition, Atlantis, Monster Fighters, and Ninjago.

Personally I would love to see new Pirate sets that carried on in the style of the vintage sets from the 90's. That's just me wanting Pirates back for nostalgic reasons though. :grin: I definitely think that if Pirates stand any chance of coming back as a serious, long term theme then they will most likely need to introduce some fantasy elements and storylines. This is what kids seem to want nowadays. If they don't then we'd probably just end up with another small wave of slightly "junior-ised" Pirate sets that only stick around for about a year.

The mainline Pirates theme did have Captain Ironhook, but there was very little in the Pirates sets or media to establish that he and Captain Redbeard commanded opposing crews

I always assumed that Redbeard and Ironhook were on the same side - that's how I always used to play with my Pirate sets anyway. :laugh:

Edited by Bricked1980

Here's a random thought that occurred to me recently: what if LEGO did a pirates theme where the principle conflict wasn't between roguish pirates and lawful soldiers, but rather between two rival pirate crews? 

Yes! I'd definitely hope to see both of these elements incorporated into a future Pirates theme, as I'm sure brick-built sea monsters and antagonistic pirates would be quite a draw for kids. :thumbup: :smug:

On 6/26/2018 at 9:24 PM, Aanchir said:

A kraken would be quite nice actually… it's been a while since we had a big brick-built cephalopod in sets, and I quite enjoyed those in the Aqua Raiders and Atlantis themes. LEGO has a lot more nice curvy elements and joint elements than they had when either of those came out and so could probably do an even better job today!

I'd love to see some big creatures.  I would hope for more in the way of specialized molded parts, though.  Even the Castle theme's dragons had 30+ parts, but still looked great because of specialized molded parts.  Speaking of which, a part like this from the neck of the dragon could work well for the tentacles of a cephalopod:

59225c01.jpg?0

On 6/26/2018 at 9:24 PM, Aanchir said:

Here's a random thought that occurred to me recently: what if LEGO did a pirates theme where the principle conflict wasn't between roguish pirates and lawful soldiers, but rather between two rival pirate crews? Outside the Pirates of the Caribbean license, LEGO has done this once before — in the 4+ Pirates theme, which had the rival crews of Captain Redbeard and Captain Kragg. (The mainline Pirates theme did have Captain Ironhook, but there was very little in the Pirates sets or media to establish that he and Captain Redbeard commanded opposing crews).

That could work, though I do think that Islanders would be better, and even a fictionalized Spanish Armada could be better.  Still, it's not an idea I would throw away, more pirates would be great!

On 6/27/2018 at 4:08 AM, Bricked1980 said:

I always assumed that Redbeard and Ironhook were on the same side - that's how I always used to play with my Pirate sets anyway. :laugh:

I did too--the distinction between the various characters and factions from 1992-94 wasn't something that was promoted heavily, especially in the US. Ironhook didn't even have a name here, so it was more than plausible that he was just one of Redbeard's minions.

TC

Weird there isn't a single rumors or talks about pirates, since next year is 30th anniversary. I really hope they will make something good for that anniversary.

22 hours ago, chofus said:

Weird there isn't a single rumors or talks about pirates, since next year is 30th anniversary. I really hope they will make something good for that anniversary.

Well it is still a bit early, have not heard any rumors in the other themes I am following either, so would not give up hope yet :wink:

On 7/31/2018 at 5:04 PM, chofus said:

Another ship on the same scale as the Imperial Flagship would be nice, only pirate themed instead of soldiers this time.

I do feel if the Pirate theme returns again it should do something different and fresh this time. The first modern revival was a nice comeback but the second attempt was far too similar to my liking. The Castle line that followed Kingdoms was the same.

I would really enjoy to see new Sets like a harbour with a quay wall, crane and a storehouse or smaller boats like a sloop/schooner. But with more details and appropiate to the minifig scale. Also a smugglers cave (1000+ pieces) would be very nice...

Given that the Lego Movie 2 plot line seems to be apocalyptic in nature, I could see a "Cyper punk" themed ship coming out of that movie.  That may be a little too close to the Steam Punk theme of the original Sea Cow though.  I think that would be awesome though. 

On 9/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, MEMTJEGO said:

Given that the Lego Movie 2 plot line seems to be apocalyptic in nature, I could see a "Cyper punk" themed ship coming out of that movie.  That may be a little too close to the Steam Punk theme of the original Sea Cow though.  I think that would be awesome though.

In general I feel like the cyberpunk aesthetic tends to be more associated with dystopian future and neo-noir stories than post-apocalyptic or space travel ones. Beyond the aesthetic characteristics people associate with cyberpunk like neon/LED lights, counterculture fashions, body modifications, towering cityscapes, and extrapolation from today's most cutting-edge concept vehicles, cyberpunk as a genre tends to deal with questions of how things like AI, virtual reality, cloning, and the power of megacorporations over individuals' privacy and access to technology completely reshape the social order and threaten or challenge traditional ideas of what it means to be free or human.

I don't see much pointing towards either cyberpunk aesthetics or cyberpunk narrative themes in what we've seen or heard about this movie or its sets. In fact, I'd say The LEGO Movie had vastly more cyberpunk themes with the idea of a megacorporation using mass media and obedient robot enforcers to strip away people's freedom and individuality, exploiting people as a technological resource in the Think Tank without their consent, etc. That's not to say we won't see futuristic re-imaginings of classic LEGO themes in this movie, but maybe not cyberpunk specifically.

Edited by Aanchir

I would love to see new sets with a pirate and a big soldier ship. If it will be just no soldier ship or just a small one I probably again will take the pirate ship for the soldiers. It's my bluecoats who could use a second ship. 

As a realist I know the possibility of a big soldier ship is small to none, as the imperial flagship was already an exception. They are made for children and children love pirates more that's the way it is and Lego like every company needs to fill in the needs of their customers so I think when a next wave is coming it will bea big Pirate ship again and let's see whatever else we get. 

Would be nice to see the Spanish Armada too as they had the fewest sets in Lego. And they small unrealistic white one even came out after I had no lego anymore at that time. 

But anyway I will be good whatever comes out, it's Lego it's on you what you do with it ;-) 

Just would be bad if they would not release a new pirate wave for the 30 year anniversary. 

Edited by DonRamon1981

So. Since everybody is making party in their forums for the new sets released I can't wait longer to ask following:

If anybody is catching anything (e.g. on a coming Toy Fair) if there are Pirates sets coming for Summer 2019. Feel free to share with us!

Hi, guys.

I've dropped an e-mail to TLG whether they planned to release this year any new Pirates set and I think I got the only possible answer from them:

I'm sorry that I can’t tell you anything about Pirates Set's at the moment. Something like that might be coming soon, but until new toys are announced in the catalogue or on LEGO.com, we aren’t able to share any details. That’s because it takes a long time to design and make new toys, and we sometimes need every minute until they hit the shelves to make them perfect. Besides... we look forward to surprising you! If you want to find out about new LEGO sets as soon as they’re announced, just keep an eye on our website.

So, we have to wait. But personally I have very little hope there will be anything released this year...

Just like 2018, sprinkles of Pirates make it into themes here and there :shrug_oh_well:

2018 mostly Creator 3-in-1 and 60-year anniversary sets.

For 2019 it's been Xtra and Friends so far.

Friends also had some pirate parts (hat & "pistol") in 41359: Heart Box Friendship Pack released earlier this year.

Edited by TeriXeri