Richard Dower

What is your most sought after Technic set?

(incl. the Lego racers sets that are really Technic sets)......right now i have my eye on 8880 and 8480, alot of the sets i thought i would never be able to get/own like 41999 i was in fact able to buy in the parts for so i can build them.

I have my eye on 8466 but NO WAY am i paying the insane money being asked for four frickin' tyres!!....i don't care how big the damn things are, they ain't worth €20 a pop!

8880-1.png

8480-1.png

I was in the same position a while ago, bit the bullet and paid $300 for 8466 great set, i'd recommend you buy all the parts off bricklink and replace the wheels with the next size down.

I'd really like to get my hands on an Arocs or Williams F1, but I feel my dark ages are approaching, need money for a more powerfull pc for work and uni.

Searching for:

All cost a lot , so I don't expect having any of them soon :sceptic:

You should be able to pick up decent second hand 8880/8480 (with all pieces in good condition inc. the electronics, box, manual) for around £100 each...

I have two different lists, as I'd like to buy back two sets I used to own many years ago now that I'm back from my dark ages, 8851 and 8860. Among the new ones, I'm after the EV3 Core and Expansion Sets, and then 42009 and 9396.

I am missing my 8258 Crane Truck.  I had 2, for some reason I sold both,one used, the other NIB.  I am not going to pay $400++, so I will look for a trade, not looking too hard, but one day it will sneak up on me. 

Andy D

45 minutes ago, Interceptor said:

My most wanted (and nowhere to find) set is a boxed 858/8858 Auto Engines.

That's a really tough one.  When I was collecting, 8862 was among the hardest to find but that was before Bricklink. 

For a while it was the 8437 Future Car,

8437-1.jpg?0

but I got that and now there is nothing I really want. If I had to pick, it would probably be the 8865 Test Car and the

8865-1.png

8858 Rebel Wrecker.

8858-1.jpg?0

Nothing super rare, but still sets I want. Also, interesting topic, I like it a lot. :thumbup:

13 hours ago, That_LEGO_Guy said:

I was in the same position a while ago, bit the bullet and paid $300 for 8466 great set, i'd recommend you buy all the parts off bricklink and replace the wheels with the next size down.

I'd really like to get my hands on an Arocs or Williams F1, but I feel my dark ages are approaching, need money for a more powerfull pc for work and uni.

Dunno, the unique tyres are the big selling point for that set....it also increases the overall size of the set. I think i will hold out and see if one pops up on the cheap.

1 hour ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

8858 Rebel Wrecker.

8858-1.jpg?0

Nothing super rare, but still sets I want. Also, interesting topic, I like it a lot. :thumbup:

Interesting, i recently bought the manual for this set second hand off Ebay for €1.50....and i have been slowly buying in the parts brand new where possible, most if not all the Red parts can be bought new cheaply. I may have to buy an actual set though to get the wheels and sterring elements. It's on my hit list....but i buy parts over a long period of time until i have everything.

2 hours ago, Interceptor said:

My most wanted (and nowhere to find) set is a boxed 858/8858 Auto Engines.

Just so people know what you are refrencing:https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=858-1

858-1.png

Not really my thing, i am not a huge fan of the old studded era sets, some of them i like...especially the ones with big parts counts such as 8880 etc.

Edited by Richard Dower
typo

I picked up three mostly complete 8446 sets for 50-60 euros each 3 or 4 years ago... the big tires are unique, but they are also really really heavy. Ended up with a complete A and B model and a small pile of spares.

Right now I'm not really looking for any technic sets, I have just about every studless set and a few studded sets (such as the space shuttle).

I do regret not buying 2 41999s because I haven't been able to justify opening the one copy I did buy with the insane resale prices, but that doesn't count.

3 minutes ago, S.I said:

I do regret not buying 2 41999s because I haven't been able to justify opening the one copy I did buy with the insane resale prices, but that doesn't count.

Can i just say....and advise others: DO NOT DO WHAT I DID!....i spent a FORTUNE on buying the unique Metallic Silver and Dark Blue parts from varoius Ebay vendors and sites like ToyPro.com

I added it all up....it was madness!, you'd be better off buying a brand new set off Bricklink. I bought the parts brand new over a long period of time so it didn't feel like i spent alot...but i did, and it was stupid.

1 minute ago, Aventador2004 said:

for me if i could get a gt3 rs or 8880 cheap i would use both alot

aventador

8880 is a really nice looking set, and big....big part count, i like building and having the 1000+ parts sets. It's got some unique elements and an awesome gearbox!

7 hours ago, Andy D said:

I am missing my 8258 Crane Truck.  I had 2, for some reason I sold both,one used, the other NIB.  I am not going to pay $400++, so I will look for a trade, not looking too hard, but one day it will sneak up on me. 

Andy D

I built my 8258 through buying parts, i got the manuals fairly cheap in an auction.

if you dont have 42039 it is a excellent set for the models (a,b,+c) and the parts it has

aventador

8 hours ago, IA creations said:

My most wanted are :

and supersonic RC

8043....i would suggest building a White version....as the panels are much cheaper to get.

2 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

if you dont have 42039 it is a excellent set for the models (a,b,+c) and the parts it has

aventador

I bought two for A and B, still sealed in box....i got them for €75 each off Ebay, some guy had a bunch he was selling via auction. I won one and he emailed me and offered me two more for cheap to get rid of them, but i only bought two. The B model is brilliant....might be even better then the main one...imo.

Edited by Richard Dower

33 minutes ago, Richard Dower said:

8043....i would suggest building a White version....as the panels are much cheaper to get.

I bought two for A and B, still sealed in box....i got them for €75 each off Ebay, some guy had a bunch he was selling via auction. I won one and he emailed me and offered me two more for cheap to get rid of them, but i only bought two. The B model is brilliant....might be even better then the main one...imo.

If you like those you may like This

Aventador

Still haven't got my hands on 8466. Those priced decently are often in not very good shape or sold out quickly (not looking for sealed sets).

Would  love to "supercars" prior 8880 - 8865 and 853/956.

Getting 8480 in good condition for acceptable price would be a jackpot!

This would be my most sought-after set. Alas, not looking seriously these days, but still has a spot for it next to my other cars (not as many as BlakBird's though).

I was not much into collecting back then, but this set was on sale on TLG for $100 only, for several weeks. Of course, this was before the entrepreneurs from eBay got on board with hoarding/collecting/investing/speculating in Lego Technic.

8145-1.png

Edited by DrJB

Well, 10 years after coming out of dark ages I can say that I own all technic sets which I always wanted to have. For tecnic is not so difficulat, because none of sets is too expensive. I was lucky that I managed to get 41999 from S@H and most other big sets go for 100-200 euro or even less. Compare that to SW and you will see that it's real bargain.

5 hours ago, Cwetqo said:

Well, 10 years after coming out of dark ages I can say that I own all technic sets which I always wanted to have. For tecnic is not so difficulat, because none of sets is too expensive. I was lucky that I managed to get 41999 from S@H and most other big sets go for 100-200 euro or even less. Compare that to SW and you will see that it's real bargain.

I think this depends heavily on where you live in the world.  Maybe we get SW for cheaper (I don't know), but it doesn't look like Technic is anywhere near as cheap.

For instance, I can go to BrickLink and pull up some sets.

42055 in Europe selling for ~$175 (means they probably got it for much less).  Here it is currently on sale in regular stores (mostly online) for about $220 (MSRP = $280)

42053 in Europe selling for ~$68-80 ("see above").  Here I've only seen it on sale in regular stores (mostly online) for $118 (MSRP = $120)

42043 in Europe selling for ~$155-65 ("see above").  Here, currently on sale in regular stores (mostly online) for $212 (MSRP = $250)

The majority of the USA has some form of sales tax on top of the above prices, though it's not as high as what I've seen for VAT for European countries, so I can't say if that is another factor to consider with the above pricing.  You're also not going to find many USA BL stores that can sell for those prices.  

EDIT: I just realized that I derailed the conversation a bit.  My favorite sets are 42042* and 42030 (my 1st remote controlled set).  42053 is also pretty neat as building it last week was my 1st experience with pneumatics (air powered Lego, who would have thought?). 

*Seriously, I would buy a few more of these if my wallet allowed for it.

Edited by teos

845. Because It was my first technical set. 

8860  it's the one I always wanted as a kid but my dad said was too expensive

8110 because.... UNIMOG!

8455   Would complete my heavy equipment collection of 8043, 8275, 42009, 42030