Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR-CH5B] Till my Dying Breath

Out of some sad form of pity, Captain Mesabi had donated half a doubloon to the Mardien Defense fund. This is where the money went.

Mardien Militia stood on the shore of Skaford's Landing. Heroic commander Jacobus Sien stood vigilant for the Eslandola attack force.

33295529256_8de9510b67_z.jpgTill my dying breath by North White, on Flickr

The Elsandolans launched their boats from Warships off the coast. Their elite troops were ready for landing.

32493553434_830b20b905_z.jpgTill my dying breath by North White, on Flickr

Shots were fired, but they all missed. Each side reloaded as the lifeboat rowed closer.

33295529276_77fee14f82_z.jpgTill my dying breath by North White, on Flickr

A second wave of shots were fired. a Mardien was killed.

33208294131_59834acd49_z.jpgTill my dying breath by North White, on Flickr

With a war cry, the Eslandolans leaped out of the boat. The Mardiens struggled to reload their muskets before the Eslandolans could overtake them.

33336243915_956c423062_z.jpgTill my dying breath by North White, on Flickr

A shot rang out, and an Eslandolan Elite fell backwards into the water, a cloud of blood emerged in the water.

33208293721_231c2b1e00_z.jpgTill my dying breath by North White, on Flickr

The Eslandolan leader reached Jacobus. He was busy loading his rifle. They locked eyes.

33208294791_d3b030a414_z.jpgTill my dying breath by North White, on Flickr

With a bang, he fell. The Mardiens had failed. Perhaps on another beach, they had prevailed, but here, the Eslandolans took the day. The leader blew the smoke wafting out of his pistol.

32953634280_fcba29efb5_z.jpgTill my dying breath by North White, on Flickr

Jacobus's hat lay over his face, covering up the massive hole where his face had been.

33336243125_143047cba0_z.jpgTill my dying breath by North White, on Flickr

Soon, more Eslandolans would be landing. But the first battle was over.

33181088592_0232d9be9d_z.jpgTill my dying breath by North White, on Flickr

FIN

Thanks for viewing my first entry in a BoBS contest! This is for Mardien, even though the Eslandolans win. C&C appreciated!

Edited by Mesabi

I like how the water climbs onto the shore. The texturing on the ground is great, and so is the minifig posing. 

For a first challenge entry it's a good one! I like the way the water is receding from the beach and has left the sand smooth and pockets of water still remain further up the shoreline. Great touch! Also your inclusion of the yellow flag for Mardier has reminded me I need to add a flag to my own entry - great idea and it adds a good splash of colour. Fantastic job here!

As already stated, nice job with the receding waves and smooth sand, although the sand almost looks too smooth for the studs-up water. Good job with all the minifig poses, and of course any good Pirates build needs a palm tree!

Nice story well illustrated with the pics, Mesabi. Your action poses are neat, and serve to support the story nicely. Personally, I am not a big fan of mixing yellow and fleshie minifigs, but I know that is a question of personal preference, and in reality, people come in many colours of course. :P
I think you have a lot of good ideas, such as the receeding waves, the fish under the sea, the patches of blood, etc. and with a bit of fine tuning of your techniques, I think you will go great places! :) (I always find myself struggling to find those little details to make it all come alive! :/ You do not seem to have that issue! :) )