Quslig

Arctic truck 42038 questions, new to the forum :)

Hej guys! Just found out that the Arctic truck lego technics 42038 was as fun for me as for my 8year old son and would like to surprise him with parts to fully motorize it. I have seen numerous videos on YouTube of people who have done this, and it seems it's made for this purpose without modification, I just don't know what parts to buy even after searching the Internet the whole day.. What we have now is the truck completed with the battery and motor pack for the crane and the container and lights and all works smooth. So what I need is Servo? Motors for front and rear? And someway to connect it all and as it seems and dual rc controls?

I would truly appreciate any help, especially part numbers and what size motors and servo etc. 

Best regards fellow builder's :)

Edited by Quslig

16 minutes ago, Quslig said:

Hej guys! Just found out that the Arctic truck lego technics 42038 was as fun for me as for my 8year old son and would like to surprise him with parts to fully motorize it. I have seen numerous videos on YouTube of people who have done this, and it seems it's made for this purpose without modification, I just don't know what parts to buy even after searching the Internet the whole day.. What we have now is the truck completed with the battery and motor pack for the crane and the container and lights and all works smooth. So what I need is Servo? Motors for front and rear? And someway to connect it all and as it seems and dual rc controls?

I would truly appreciate any help, especially part numbers and what size motors and servo etc. 

Best regards fellow builder's :)

Some of the LEGO Technic sets can be motorized without any modification and there are building instructions for that included. If you buy the 8293 Power Functions set you get all of what is needed to motorize those sets, including 42038.

If you check the very end of the instructions you'll find the instruction for motorizing the set. You can check there which parts are needed, but it's probably better to buy the complete 8293 set. As I wrote before it's meant to be combined with that set and that will give you all parts needed to motorize more sets in the future too.

This is the set I have, only it controls the container tilt and crane only. What I am looking for is the parts needed to make the tracks drive and turn with rc remote :) 

Thanks for the quick response though!

Sincerely 

Just now, Quslig said:

This is the set I have, only it controls the container tilt and crane only. What I am looking for is the parts needed to make the tracks drive and turn with rc remote :) 

Thanks for the quick response though!

Sincerely 

Oh I'm sorry. Did not see the whole post! Will look it up asap :)

No the instructions was only for the mentioned tilt and crane..

Oh, RC mods, check the video, and see if you can find a PDF, or link to the authors (possible) website.

14 hours ago, Quslig said:

Okay, sorry for misunderstanding. I found an instruction video for fully motorize the model. Seems like there's some modification needed though. The video tells which new parts you need.

In the commnets of that video

Here are the extra pieces I bought. I'm pretty sure that I've listed them all. For the Drive: 4x 32123 1/2 bush gray 2x 32556 3M connector peg tan 2x 6590 bush for cross axel gray 8x 43093 conn bush w fric./crossaxel blue 14x 2780 connector peg w friction black 1x 4519 gray rod: 3long x 3x 32270 double conical wheel z12 1m black 5x 64289 Technic 9M beam black 2x 3707 cross axle 8m black 2x 6015356 gray 2x 18575 tan gears w 20 teeth 1x 4565452 tan 1x 4610379 gray 2x 92908 gray 2x 92909 gray 2x 4538007 gray 1x 87408 black U thing: 2 pin holes on each upright, facing the other, and a pinhole in the bottom facing the up/down 1x 3708 black axle: 12 or 13 long For the Steering Sector 2x 43093 conn bush w fric./crossaxel blue 2x 4173668 cross block 90 degrees 2x 32054 pin 3L with friction ridges lengthwise and stop bush black 2x 64290 11m beam black 2x 6536 red (got black) 1x 3737 cross axle 10M black (pin 9 or 10 long, x shaped (Have a 10 in there now I think)) RC and Motor parts 1x 88004 servo motor for steering in front 1x 8802 XL motor for drive in back 2x 8884 ir receivers 1x 8883 M-Motor 1x 8870 LED 1x 8881 battery box 1x 60656 possibly one extension cord connector

Doesn't bricklink.com or others send to Turkey? I see some 5000 shops ...

19 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Doesn't bricklink.com or others send to Turkey?

Bricklink sellers send parts to Turkey.

@LegoIstanbul1907 if you are not familiar to Bricklink, take some time, explore it via their Help sections and you will learn it pretty quickly. You will find out that you could order anything (sets, parts, instructions etc) you want and it will be shipped to your address in Turkey.

Hope this helps.

Have fun!

If working with bricklink, first add everything to wishlist - parts and needed amount. Then from that wishlist You can search for stores, which offer everything what You need, or if there won't be such store, it will show what there is from that You need. So, maybe, You wil have to buy from more than one store. But those additional parts seems not so rare or that like, and they could be all in one store.

It is also possible to motorise if you have an Mindstorms EV3 (see here ). It is quite hard to get the weight distribution correct so it is over the drive tracks. It very easily ends up top heavy. I ended up making it rear wheel steering with the battery box in the cab.