AllanSmith

Allan's Speed Champion inspired vehicle and building creations.

That's a lovely build. It's a shame that the 2 single hydraulic rams have to be offset, they look a bit odd there to me. Do you think you could use 53586 instead? It might look better as it could be positioned more centrally. Although it doesn't come in black unfortunately.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:58 PM, ColletArrow said:

That's a lovely build. It's a shame that the 2 single hydraulic rams have to be offset, they look a bit odd there to me. Do you think you could use 53586 instead? It might look better as it could be positioned more centrally. Although it doesn't come in black unfortunately.

I have had a play in LDD and managed to center the rams on the arms. Will order bricks this week from Bricklink to see how it works in real life.

Parts arrived yesterday for my excavator. Built it up last night and today. Here is a quick photo of it. It uses the new bucket from the Technic Wheel Excavator.

excavator_in_bricks.jpg

Enjoy :)

2 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Nice! I like that you managed to center the hydraulic rams, it looks much better. Also, good use of that bucket!

Thanks. The top 2 rams are at bit delicate due to being kept in place by one small clip. You have to pinch the clip area with thumb and finger and move the grey shaft with the other hand to position the arm or bucket. But it looks great and there is a great range of movement. ☺

Photo of one of  the three demolition excavators across the road from our apartment that gave me inspiration to build mine. 

excavator_view.jpg

Looks like I am on a construction vehicle building theme at the moment. Have designed a front end loader today using some parts I have from the Technic Telehandler set 42061. 

Will be using the mini linear actuators to move the arm and the new shape bucket. LDD design uses the old bucket as a place holder. 

front_end_loader_v2.jpg

Now that is nice. I've been wondering for a while how to get mLA's into a minifig-sized front loader, and here's exactly that, done perfectly. Although you did get the greys on the mLA's the wrong way round! :wink: I will almost certainly have to try something like this myself. Good work!

12 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Now that is nice. I've been wondering for a while how to get mLA's into a minifig-sized front loader, and here's exactly that, done perfectly. Although you did get the greys on the mLA's the wrong way round! :wink: I will almost certainly have to try something like this myself. Good work!

Thanks.  Have redesigned the front end after working out that the inverted slopes are all that is holding the arm up. Have gone for a stronger design. Have also changed the bucket mLA so that it is attached to a Z linkage like the real life front loader. I have used 2 mLA's side by side before to hoist a tow truck boom. Will upload photos.

Will now have to order Bricklink parts including mLA's to see if it all works with real bricks, as there is no gravity in LDD ?.

Edited by AllanSmith

3 hours ago, AllanSmith said:

I am doing! This looks excellent, it's a shame you had to lose the angled arm. Can you work out what the range of motion will be?

Nice models! Are you going to remove the studs in the back and on the roof?

Edited by Nightfall

5 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

I am doing! This looks excellent, it's a shame you had to lose the angled arm. Can you work out what the range of motion will be?

Hi. Trying to replicate a real one is tricky. They all now have the Z linkage with the piston up high. I moved the bucket mLA's to the outside of the arms so that I could have a strong connection for the top arm pivot.  The mLA in LDD has a length between holes of 8.5 studs. In real life it is 7 studs to 10 studs. I used temp replacements while doing the design to work out the range of motion. The bucket can be lifted above the cab with the mLA's. Just need to get the parts to prove my design theories :)

5 hours ago, Nightfall said:

Nice models! Are you going to remove the studs in the back and on the roof?

Hi. As seen in my first picture of earlier design I am using 4 x 6 tile with studs around the edge.  It is just the low angle of the picture that makes it look like lots of studs. I could try an all tile solution in the final build to see what it looks like :)

Finished my loader. The mini linear actuators width and length dictated that the loader has a high lift boom. Also the new bucket has lower mounting holes compared to old bucket. I also wanted a Z linkage for the bucket like the real life loader. So below are photos of the end result.

loader01.jpg

loader02.jpg

loader03.jpg

loader04.jpg

loader05.jpg

loader06.jpg

loader07.jpg

loader08.jpg

loader09.jpg

Edited by AllanSmith
Grammar.

Having a break from LDD designing  to update all of my creations with actual pictures.

First off is a Jurassic Jeep replica using the new mudguards (fenders) and built by the mechanics of my Service Center in their spare time :)

jurassic_jeep_front_angle.jpg

jurassic_jeep_rear_angle.jpg

jurassic_jeep_side.jpg

jurassic_jeep_front.jpg

jurassic_jeep_rear.jpg

Another replica built by my minifig mechanics is the Batmobile from Batman the Animated Series using the Speed Champions mudguards (fenders) and wheels.

bmtas_front_angle.jpg

bmtas_rear_angle.jpg

bmtas_front.jpg

bmtas_rear.jpg

All of the companies along Al's Avenue ( Drive In Movies, Showroom, Service Center, Motorbike Shop and Boat Yard) are serviced by USPS for their mail. Built again using Speed Champions parts.

usps_front_angle.jpg

usps_rear_angle.jpg

usps_side.jpg

Anything bigger than a letter has to be delivered by Fedex. This vehicle uses Speed Champion parts and also has sliding side doors.

fedex_front_angle.jpg

fedex_rear_angle.jpg

fedex_rear_open.jpg

fedex_door_closed.jpg

fedex_door_open.jpg

Edited by AllanSmith

My construction vehicles need protection while working on the roads. So I built a retro Landrover using Speed Champion parts to tow my flashing road sign.

landrover_front_angle.jpg

landrover_rear_angle.jpg

landrover_side.jpg

Last photos for today. Al's Avenue needs SWAT protection now and again. Based on a Lenco Bear and on SWAT vehicles found online in dark blue. Has a battery ram stored on the roof and gun ports on the side.

swat_front_angle.jpg

swat_rear_angle.jpg

swat_left_side.jpg

swat_right_side.jpg

swat_inside.jpg

Also a boat to protect our waterways.

swat_boat_front_angle.jpg

swat_boat_rear_angle.jpg

Edited by AllanSmith
Grammar.

Al's Autos has expanded into selling boats. A new boat yard has been opened called Al's Boats. Due to the rush to open for the Summer season shipping containers are used for the office and spares department.

als_boats_front.jpg

als_boats_left.jpg

als_boats_right.jpg

als_boats_seagulls.jpg

als_boats_office.jpg

als_boats_spares.jpg

For sale is one fast speedboat suitable for skiing behind.

speedboat_right_side.jpg

speedboat_left_side.jpg

speedboat_motor.jpg

speedboat_trailer.jpg

speedboat_skiing.jpg

Next for sale is a Sealegs amphibious boat. Designed in New Zealand and sold worldwide https://www.sealegs.com/

sealegs_side.jpg

sealegs_front.jpg

sealegs_rear.jpg

sealegs_up.jpg

Some more photo updates.

Ford Hoonicorn dressed in Nexo Knights (lava) flames.

jestro_front.jpg

jestro_rear.jpg

jestro_side.jpg

U Haul trailer.

u_haul_front.jpg

u_haul_rear.jpg

Edited by AllanSmith