TheBeeze

Great Brick War General Discussion Thread

The work done by the moderators is crucial for the game. The only thing I have to say is that I would like to focus on the use of "standard" English, especially for non-native speakers like me (and many others), as that will make our participation easier and decrease the possibility of misunderstandings.

16 minutes ago, sigpro said:

I would like to focus on the use of "standard" English, especially for non-native speakers like me (and many others), as that will make our participation easier and decrease the possibility of misunderstandings.

Very Good Point. 

5 hours ago, Thebeeze111 said:

We want to hear it all- Questions, comments, concerns- let it rip. 

Yes, please!

No, you will not be banned for commenting your opinion in this thread. Apparently, I've freaked out a portion of the forums so I figured I better put this in here...just in case.

Well. I enjoy the game. It made me much more productive than the past and with the comments from other players and judges I increase my quality also. 

I like the gameplay so far. The missions are well explained and the rules are clear. Of course there are some gray spots in a game like this, but a question to moderators solves the problem.

A game like this have to be complicated to be fair. What I want to see is more detailed enviroment in the game. In some of our questions, moderators answered that they dont want to add more rules so to keep the game simple and easy. I bealieve that  more details must be added. The map dimensions and capitols and major cities. It will help to use realistic fistances for weapons or for the vechicle moves. 

I also think that must be more FRAGO-like missions with small builds so the game to be more active all the period and not only the last days. Like builds on 16x16, or the sigfig in action in small build, a statue of a ancient hero of country, etc...

Edited by paintballman

14 hours ago, paintballman said:

What I want to see is more detailed enviroment in the game. In some of our questions, moderators answered that they dont want to add more rules so to keep the game simple and easy. I bealieve that  more details must be added. The map dimensions and capitols and major cities. It will help to use realistic fistances for weapons or for the vechicle moves. 

I also think that must be more FRAGO-like missions with small builds......

So for the first part, I've been working on trying to render some more realistic maps. Unfortunately I just have not had the time to do this. My goal is to create some maps with some depth perception allowing for landscapes to be shown in a more 3-Dimensional Form. If you have the capabilities to do something like this and are willing to help out, I'd be very happy to work on it with you. 

FRAGOs are tough and cant be done all the time only because they are so time limited and we try to make them worth something special. My goal is 1-2 FRAGOs per campaign. We are in the process of developing and releasing some more side missions to allow you guys to do more stuff.

21 hours ago, paintballman said:

I also think that must be more FRAGO-like missions with small builds so the game to be more active all the period and not only the last days. Like builds on 16x16, or the sigfig in action in small build, a statue of a ancient hero of country, etc...

seconded.This is agreat idea!

21 hours ago, paintballman said:

I also think that must be more FRAGO-like missions with small builds 

25 minutes ago, Brickwolf said:

seconded.This is agreat idea!

Can you guys elaborate a little bit? Are you looking for just smaller builds? Time sensitive builds? or ?

Side builds now do not have a size limit and are pretty vague. Additionally, we are about to release some new types for you. 

I would prefer a one sidebuild per week timetable instead of the current four sidebuilds per campaign system. Maybe with a weekly theme.

This way sidebuilds would be smaller but more numerous, e.g. Andromeda´s Gates.

The time to sign up for FRAGOs is too short. When I became aware of the two FRAGOs, the time to sign up  had expired, because due to real life reasons I was not online during the timeframe.

15 minutes ago, TheBeeze said:

Side builds now do not have a size limit and are pretty vague. Additionally, we are about to release some new types for you. 

More types of side builds are welcome.

2 hours ago, Brickwolf said:

This way sidebuilds would be smaller but more numerous, e.g. Andromeda´s Gates

A few points on your comments:

1. We go for quality over quantity, that's why we have a limit in place. From day one that's been our motto. It's about building better, not just earning points.

2. Smaller builds require a great amount of detail and well executed photography to score decently.

3. The point of a FRAGO in the real world is a spur of the moment change in your operation to achieve something else, thus the short response time and build time. That being said, we usually provide a 24 hour window for response. There are all sorts of ways you can set yourself (and your team) up for notifications. 

That being said, we'll see if we can find some ways to keep things a little more active throughout the time between campaigns. 

Thanks for the good points!

Hallo zusammen!

Well, you asked for it:

1. At first I want to support the moderators in enforcing the rules (although it hit me at FRAGO #2). Please proceed in this way...

2. I don't play / build to win. But it is not motivating to build nice MOC's and then still to loose cause some team members - forever reasons they have - don't  participate. You may say this is a team problem but I think we should invent a rule like: Missing two campaign builds in a row should be seen as an act of betrayal and the individual has to be shot, banned and forced to use Megabloks. Or something similar.

3. I like the very open way of the campaign builds. But from time to time there should be also sidebuilds etc. with a very exact description of what we/you want to see. Eperienced builders will have no problem with that but it will an challenge for not that experienced builders. So the overall goal to make better builds will be achieved.

4. To make it a little bit easier, I would allow that the vehicles etc from the last campaing builds can be re-used in the side builds.

5. Sometimes I would include the climate zone and terrain in the campaign rules..

Some examples:

Campaign Build Alpha (Open):  Show a military operation where different parts of your military work together to achieve an tactical goal (Infantry / Armor / Navy / Air). This must take place at winter time (snow etc.)

Side build Alpha One (open): Show a military checkpoint at one of your major roads. It must include at least one vehicle and the arrest of one suspect.

Side Build Alpha Two (Detailed): Show exact the moment when one of the enemy tanks is hit by one of your anti-tank rockets!

Side Build Alpha Three (Vehicle): Your military needs a new armored amphibous landing vehicle. It should have place for 10 soldiers and be able to defend himself against all kinds of threats.

I can give my opinion from a player based on your concerns.

2. I don't play / build to win. But it is not motivating to build nice MOC's and then still to loose cause some team members - forever reasons they have - don't  participate. You may say this is a team problem but I think we should invent a rule like: Missing two campaign builds in a row should be seen as an act of betrayal and the individual has to be shot, banned and forced to use Megabloks. Or something similar.

I agree. It is a pity when there are team mates that don´t collaborate.

3. I like the very open way of the campaign builds. But from time to time there should be also sidebuilds etc. with a very exact description of what we/you want to see. Eperienced builders will have no problem with that but it will an challenge for not that experienced builders. So the overall goal to make better builds will be achieved.

In my opinion, a FRAGO is a kind of side build (has the same rating) with more strict conditions (more or less what you suggest at the end of your post).

4. To make it a little bit easier, I would allow that the vehicles etc from the last campaing builds can be re-used in the side builds.

I think you can reuse them. You can make a side build of your tank in a forest and another side build with your tank on a road.

5. Sometimes I would include the climate zone and terrain in the campaign rules.

The country index includes some useful information; perhaps it can be enhanced, but lets you know (for example) if a part of your continent has forest or deserts.

2 hours ago, jansued said:

Missing two campaign builds in a row should be seen as an act of betrayal and the individual has to be shot, banned and forced to use Megabloks. Or something similar

Love this one. We may look into something like this! We've had discussions regarding participation as well. 

To make it a little bit easier, I would allow that the vehicles etc from the last campaing builds can be re-used in the side builds.

You can do this now. Check Rule #4 In our General Rules Topic. 

Sometimes I would include the climate zone and terrain in the campaign rules.

There are descriptions, though a little vague, of the climate and terrain in the World Map Topic. 

Also another thing I'd like to point out. We've had several fluctuations in the staff since the inception of the game. @Stash2Sixx and I are the only (2) who remain from Day One. Some of the things you guys are asking for, which sound great, require a lot of planning, strategizing behind the scenes, and careful implementation. We are in the process of bringing on some people to help generate content and plan behind the scenes so we can keep things as active as possible. Most of the other "games" here on Eurobricks have a much larger number of staff members than we currently do. We are aware of the problem and working to solve it. 

Keep the Feedback coming guys, you're definitely getting the gears turning. 

I think some of us have been spoilt by some of the other games here on EB and how many people are involved in running them - but even then they have issues - BoBS for example is great in theory but one key part has become a massive waste of space and heaven only knows how many hours have been spent trying to salvage that (and probably even more spent by other people whining about it on the boards).  Stash and theBeeze are doing a lot already - I would be very wary of asking for too much more in one go, they have lives outside of this game and I think we can take it in small stages as we go and still be pleased at seeing progress.

One limiting factor that I see here is the lack of opportunities to develop a character.  This could be me but with the focus on conflict in the campaign builds and the varied roles a modern army uses I can't seem to find any "bond" with my sigfig - this might just be my problem though - I should probably just do more builds!

BTW the two new side builds are both very good, I hope to be more active after the summer and do more than just the campaign builds, they have both captured my attention.

For those asking for heads to roll if people miss campaign builds - that would be one option, at the moment I'm not aware of a lengthy queue of other people looking to get involved so I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of potential allies but I do understand the frustration - I know I should have put something out for the last campaign and I feel bad but if I didn't put something out for this one and got "punished" in some way I doubt I'd be back afterwards.  

This is a hobby after all, I get the frustration in losing out because of non-contribution but how do you fix it?  If you win from an average score i.e Team A three builders score 8, 9 and 10 (average 9) beat Team B where 10 builders each score 8 I would be annoyed if I was in Team B to be told we had lost.  But then I would be annoyed too if I was in Team A scored a ten and a load of people didn't bother at all and I got destroyed 80/27!  Either way it is partly an issue with a scoring mechanism which has to deal with quality and quantity as valuable inputs - I think staff here naturally have a very tough job in balancing that, I think we all would..

The third point Jansued raises is very good - I'd really like that too - it would encourage us to mix things up a bit.  I think I would benefit from it as a builder and I think the game would benefit from the shake-up - this would n't have to be something done constantly, just a few times through the year would be good from my point of view.

Anyway, those are my two cents.

4 hours ago, Phadeout said:

The third point Jansued raises is very good - I'd really like that too - it would encourage us to mix things up a bit.  I think I would benefit from it as a builder and I think the game would benefit from the shake-up - this would n't have to be something done constantly, just a few times through the year would be good from my point of view.

Yeah we've been looking at that one and working on a way to do something like that in a similar fashion to say a FRAGO. 

Good Points and Thank You!

I think we should add DAMs ( Direct Action Missions) to the build list besides the spec-ops missions.

4 hours ago, ODA 401 said:

I think we should add DAMs ( Direct Action Missions) to the build list besides the spec-ops missions.

We cannot have them as a Side Mission which people can choose from at any time as we must maintain some level of control over the flow of the game. That said, there is nothing saying you may not see some in the form of a FRAGO. 

We've been very busy behind the scenes but wanted to take the time to announce @Captain Genaro will be joining the staff to help us move forward in a great direction.

Looks like COAC put in 8 builds and RON 9. 

I know several of you have voiced concerns about scoring the total score versus an average. This round will be judged just as others were, but we may address the issue before the roll out of CP4. 

We'll see how this turns out. Stay Tuned!

Personally, with the nice weather here right now, I'm kind of enjoying the break.  Gives me a moment to do yard work and some much needed sorting.

Also, @Umbra-Manis, hope everything is going well!  I saw your Flickr post, take your time buddy, water can be a mess to clean up.  Been there myself a few times, but nowhere near the level you guys got it down there.