atlas

[WIP][MOC] red 5 X-wing

12 hours ago, GhostDog said:

It's the little details that make this so great. You've obviously put a ton of time into tinkering with things like the nose, the fuselage, etc. Can't wait to see the final result!

Thanks I'm very happy with how most of it has turned out and I've had some great feedback from people along the way. Dmaclego and a couple others especially. I actually just changed the top of the nose thanks to one of his suggestions and now there are no gaps on the top. The finished model will be mostly my work, with a handful of elements borrowed from other great models - the guns and the use of panel pieces along the side in particular from dmac's amazing effort.

On 15/03/2018 at 6:12 AM, Cyanide-Tipped said:

Keeping an eye on this thread...great work so far.

Is the idea to use SNOT more or a mixture?

Thank you. to be honest I don't really understand your question. Could you elaborate?

When building something like this, my decisions about how to build a part of it are dictated by the source material (the original model) rather than a specific technique. If the best choice is to use a simple studs up construction (for example the slopes on the top of the rear fuselage, or the S-foils) then I'll do that without giving much thought to using a more complicated technique - sometimes that won't get the best result. On the other hand, there is no way to replicate the complex geometry of the fuselage with somthing simple like the plates and tiles on the wings. The walls need to be angled in and to the side (there are even more angles on the surface of the fuselage that I wasn't able to replicate, so I decided to focus on the primary and most distinctive ones). So I resorted to mixels joints for that. In short I don't really mind which technique ends up as the one I go with, just that it looks as accurate as I can make it. There are studs pointing in almost every direction, so I guess you could call that snot if you like.

Omg, where did you get the minifig head for Biggs Darklighter? I have yet to be able to find a tan flesh minifig head with black mustache anywhere.

On 3/22/2019 at 4:44 AM, Jimbo57 said:

Hello There,

Did you finish the project after all?

Hello, I did get it to a complete stage, but wasn't satisfied enough to call it 'finished'. But yesterday I decided to share a photo I took last year at that time. Next time I get back to work I will be working on producing a refined version that will be better presented. Here you go

https://www.flickr.com/photos/atlaser/33745697098/in/dateposted-public/

33745697098_a729061e55_o.jpg