Sign in to follow this  
Nuns In Crocs

Jabba's palace or Sail Barge?

Hi

I'm looking into to buying either jabbas palace or his sail barge set? 

which one should i go for? if i buy the palace i will most likely look into buying the rancor pit

any suggestions?

of the 3 (including the Rancor pit) the Palace with pit combo is my favorite. the sail barge is nice but hard to display as it is so small compared to the figures, and other Tatooine vehicles. I did end up getting all of the sets and moved as many figures as was possible into the palace, really makes it feel like it did in the film once you load up more figures in there.

Edited by GallardoLU
typos

Hello!

The rancor pit and palace is a great combo! But they are both great unique sets! If you get the sail barge get the older one, I think it looks better and I believe it is larger.

Also I would recommend using the general question thread for posts like this!

Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2

I have all three and I actually prefer the Sail Barge. To me it's more iconic and goes great with both the old and new skiffs. My only complaint about it is the sloping at the nose seems jagged and dated, and I wonder if newer parts/building techniques would allow this to be smoothed out. I'd guess that the Palace and Rancor Pit are less likely to be updated and re-released as new sets, so you might be better off buying them and holding out for a newer barge down the line. 

These three sets were discontinued just as I started collecting and always wanted the Palace and Rancor pit but the sail barge never looked that good. I was lucky enough to get all three in an ebay deal when I was only looking for the palace and pit and I have to say the sail barge really does look better once built, maybe edging it as my favourite of the three. I've had to make a few mods to barge and like others have said the front section needs a redesign but it has a strange charm to it.

Having said that, the palace has some great figures and the Rancor big fig is something to behold. If I were to buy just the the one I think it might be the palace as the look and techniques used still hold up today and contains some great figures we may not see again in a while.

Thank you all for the reply's 

I'm most likely going to buy the palace along with the pit and then buy the barge and something like the cantina at a later date

I also have all 3 sets, but I have never got round to building the rancor pit or palace yet. The sail barge however is great in my humble opinion and jabba is superb. I am not sure whether to sell the palace or not, as the the minifigs are great.  I am rubbish at making decisions so I sometime buy lego sets and just store them away.   I still haven't built the UCS sandcrawler, UCS Slave 1, shuttle tydirium, Krennick shuttle, U-wing, Y-wing or A-wing (all 2017 sets). Just in the process of modding the 7965 Falcon but that is taking ages too........! :blush:

The Barge has almost-nude-Leia. But the palace has Boush. You should get all of them.

7 minutes ago, Borex said:

The Barge has almost-nude-Leia. But the palace has Boush. You should get all of them.

Fair point about Leia and I Can't see family friendly Disney releasing that figure again. Wasn't a statement released by them stating that? 

2 hours ago, That Orange Thing said:

Fair point about Leia and I Can't see family friendly Disney releasing that figure again. Wasn't a statement released by them stating that? 

Yeah they said they won't sell merch containing slave Leia again. Kinda sucks because we might not get that minifigure again then.

I would say the Palace, it's defiantly a must if you get the rancor pit as well.  The minifigures are better imo as well.

6 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Yeah they said they won't sell merch containing slave Leia again. Kinda sucks because we might not get that minifigure again then.

This is somewhat overstated. There was reporting in blogs that post-Disney, Slave Leia was put on ice. But unless I missed it, there was never even a semi-official statement from Disney, and some speculated that it was merely the name that was being retired, in favor of "Jabba's Prisoner" or something without the word "slave", or that it was only Hasbro that was retiring the character (given at the time, she was a major peg-warmer). 

You should wait.
With the release of the Desert Skiff I think we will be seeing the whole Jabba range released again.

On 08/03/2017 at 0:27 PM, jdubbs said:

I have all three and I actually prefer the Sail Barge. To me it's more iconic and goes great with both the old and new skiffs. My only complaint about it is the sloping at the nose seems jagged and dated, and I wonder if newer parts/building techniques would allow this to be smoothed out. I'd guess that the Palace and Rancor Pit are less likely to be updated and re-released as new sets, so you might be better off buying them and holding out for a newer barge down the line. 

I think the only reason is the front section is so jagged is because they wanted to include a hidden frontal cannon to the thing, which is a shame. The original barge has a very smooth front section. 

12 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

I think the only reason is the front section is so jagged is because they wanted to include a hidden frontal cannon to the thing, which is a shame. The original barge has a very smooth front section. 

I bought the latest Sail Barge set back when it came out and immediately MODded it to have the original front end, as the new one is ugly as sin. :sick:

I also widened the top deck by one stud each side and beefed-up the back-end a bit to close the gaps - I think that's the MOD which kickstarted me building stuff that's not just an original Lego set: MODs, MOCs, SHIPs, buying parts from Bricklink, etc... It's been an expensive and awesome journey, all from that one small step! :blush: