Garmadon

Just Outside of Pontelli... An ETWC Plantation Collaboration (Part II)

Shortly before heading off to the docks of Pontelli to check out a new small armed sloop while waiting for his first mate to return from Eslandola's Old World capital of Terelli...

33153018042_f86cd9cfc0_z.jpg

32494279043_ed215e39b9_z.jpg

Captain Whiffo strode up and down the porch in ecstacy, gazing out across the large, verdant plantation now covered with ready-to-harvest oats.  The workers scurrying hither and yon (under the watchful eyes of their monkey supervisors which Mayor da Pontelli had provided, of course) were an absolute pleasure to behold.  The East Trade Wind Company had finally taken the large step he had meditated so long, and in no time it would assuredly be as large, powerful, and rich in the new world as it ever was in the old!

33180602561_09d8c31981_z.jpg

32494162963_c51200e3f7_z.jpg

(One of the monkey supervisors on his courier:)

32465731534_b1290f31a3_z.jpg

Wheels rattled along the road and the Captain looked up intelligently, if not mysteriously (mostly, you see, because he loved mystery, not because there was any real mystery in the whole affair).  For once he was not carrying his beloved cutlass, as he was not sure but that it would get in the way while showing de Chauncourtois' niece about the house and new plantation which she had come out to see (though he was sorely inclined to regret leaving it behind as its clanking was the only thing missing - he thought - to perfect the sensation of mysteriousness) - but he might as well as have spared his pains, for he could have known from previous experience that his cutlass and his habit of rapping it on his hook and smashing it into everything was a constant source of amusement to de Chauncourtois' good-humored niece.  

33153293862_19b14cff9e_z.jpg

33267693206_b01b285b29_z.jpg

The carriage rolled to a stop just before the door - and Captain Whiffo, throwing the cutlass with an effort out of his mind (for the present), bowed slightly and offered her his hand.

33180802791_4836cdbe70_z.jpg

33308746115_3e84dd16a1_z.jpg

"Good day, miss, shall I show you inside?"

33153305992_0c5478f8cd_z.jpg

...Speaking of which! - Let's go inside, shall we?

33267664046_b3fcfcafaa_z.jpg

Originally I had only been planning on the hinging wall, but in the end, the roof was detachable as well, so thankfully the interior was very easy to take pictures of! :grin:

It is furnished with a large kitchen,

32465689374_1907a40425_z.jpg

Some furniture...

32925967140_cb2bc17632_z.jpg

An instrument - 

32494077823_dddb7bb171_z.jpg

And a good-sized (if not over-sized :laugh:) fireplace:

33180651861_eee767a7a2_z.jpg

A few closeups:

32465613844_e8782db807_z.jpg

The pig-pen (the colors of which were inspired especially by Ayrlego's recent challenge entry, along with the rest of that collab)...

32926042030_2bcb2c6885_z.jpg

And a final overview:

33180831001_c31c047d23_z.jpg

And, I've finally finished!  Just about ever since the launch of the Brethren of the Brick Seas I've been meaning to build a large plantation for the ETWC, but only recently have I been able to actually get around to planning and building it.  Here's my section of the collab with Captain Braunsfeld (be sure to check out his excellent section here) for Eslandola's East Trade Wind Company.  It took a great deal longer than I was hoping for (mostly due to RL), but I'm rather happy with how it turned out, and it was definitely fun (and somewhat challenging at times) to attempt to make it clearly part of the same plantation and yet give it my own touch (well, I suppose that last part came pretty naturally! :laugh: :grin:)  

Special thanks to Captain B for working on this collab and waiting very patiently for my side here to be complete!

Credit goes to Gideon for the door design and to Legopard for the chair (slightly altered here), and the carriage is a modification of the one found in LEGO's excellent POTC London Chase.  

Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome! :pir-sweet:

Wow, this is a great build. I love all the little details in the house. The Piano and the Fireplace are both fantastic. I feel like the door is a bit disproportionate though, but then again I've never been a fan of brickbuilt doors. Great build though, and I really like your story as well.

Great build Garmadon, the patches of oat look very nice and the house is excellent!  Having it swing open was a great idea, and the interior is well furnished! :thumbup: 

Where did the ETWC find the gold to build this all of the sudden? Really, you used gold everywhere - in the walls, in the fountain, even your knives are solid gold :D Also great plants - good to see some variation in there. I think the top of the fountain is prone to falling off though ;)

It's weird to talk about the house for a plantation, but this is what stands out most for me here. Great interior, fantastic furniture, nice walls, even play features, the chimney - all lovely. The entrance is brilliant, as is the npu for the door, but what I love most is the appearance of the front wall with those windows - clever use, really simple actually, but working out just amazing! Even the roof is great.

I also like the curved dark tan path, looks really smooth. The vegetation is well done, and the red flowers add a nice touch of colour.

Good to see some monkey business here as well. And of course an absolutely fantastic MOC overall.

Wow ! Excellent build !

I like the main house ! The door is really something I should try...

and the windows are great too. The fact that you can open the house and its interior are adding to the majesty of it ! Congrats on that !

Excellent job !

On 3/7/2017 at 8:49 PM, Mesabi said:

Wow, this is a great build. I love all the little details in the house. The Piano and the Fireplace are both fantastic. I feel like the door is a bit disproportionate though, but then again I've never been a fan of brickbuilt doors. Great build though, and I really like your story as well.

Thank you!  The piano is definitely one of my favorite details of this build as well, and I'm glad you liked the story!  More of that to come soon, hopefully! :grin:

On 3/7/2017 at 9:47 PM, Kai NRG said:

Great build Garmadon, the patches of oat look very nice and the house is excellent!  Having it swing open was a great idea, and the interior is well furnished! :thumbup: 

Thanks Kai! :pir-classic:  I'm really not entirely sure whether the swinging side was more helpful in this case or more of a pain, though! :pir-laugh:

On 3/8/2017 at 1:49 PM, Legostone said:

Where did the ETWC find the gold to build this all of the sudden? Really, you used gold everywhere - in the walls, in the fountain, even your knives are solid gold :D Also great plants - good to see some variation in there. I think the top of the fountain is prone to falling off though ;)

:laugh: There are advantages to being Eslandolan, you see! :tongue:  Plus, gold is really just a very cool color!  Thanks, mate! :pir-grin:

Actually, I kept the top of the fountain off (or held in place with another piece) most of the time while building, and it didn't prove much of a trouble at all when photographing - provided you don't mean to shake things up too much, it sits on there pretty nicely! 

On 3/8/2017 at 3:11 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Oat, this is a very nice completion of our collaboration!

The fireplace has turned out nice, just to mention one detail.

:pir-laugh:  Thanks Captain B!  This was my first opening fireplace (that I recollect, anyhow), and although it was somewhat annoying to always have to remember not to put any pieces attaching the two sides, I liked how it turned out too! :grin: 

21 hours ago, Elostirion said:

It's weird to talk about the house for a plantation, but this is what stands out most for me here. Great interior, fantastic furniture, nice walls, even play features, the chimney - all lovely. The entrance is brilliant, as is the npu for the door, but what I love most is the appearance of the front wall with those windows - clever use, really simple actually, but working out just amazing! Even the roof is great.

I also like the curved dark tan path, looks really smooth. The vegetation is well done, and the red flowers add a nice touch of colour.

Good to see some monkey business here as well. And of course an absolutely fantastic MOC overall.

Thanks a lot, Elos!  The house certainly stands out for me too (and took the most time :laugh:), and covering it with windows was definitely something I wanted to try out (both because many large houses back then were replete with them, and because my dark green collection unfortunately is not unlimited :grin:)!  I was quite pleasantly surprised at how well the simple framed trans-clear looked as well!

Oh, and the monkeys were obviously needed when doing a collab with Captain B! :pir-laugh: :monkey:

2 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Wow ! Excellent build !

I like the main house ! The door is really something I should try...

and the windows are great too. The fact that you can open the house and its interior are adding to the majesty of it ! Congrats on that !

Excellent job !

Thanks Faladrin! :pir-sweet:  The credit for the door goes to Gideon though, as I just copied his design! :pir-grin:

Wow! Nice carriage and house (and its interior)! As I commented at part I, tan oats are great but the golden ones are a bit too "metallic" for me. Royal it is then!

Stunning work here Garmadon! A lot to like but I especially wanted to mention the house - love the colour scheme and the detail in the interior is superb, especially that fireplace! The fountain is really well done, and one of the best attempts at that style of fountain that I've seen.

Like I said in Captain B's thread, it's good to see the EWTC getting some love - It's probably the TC that appeals to me the most!

On 3/9/2017 at 7:08 PM, blackdeathgr said:

Wow! Nice carriage and house (and its interior)! As I commented at part I, tan oats are great but the golden ones are a bit too "metallic" for me. Royal it is then!

Thanks, Blackdeathgr!  Haha, well I meant to say so earlier, but one of the many things I discovered while building this thing was that I own way less of those tan oat pieces than Captain B! :grin:  I do have to agree (especially about the golden poles holding them up - but I ran out of brown ones of those too... :look: :laugh:), though I think one or two in a patch makes for some nice variation (a la Captain Braunsfeld :pir-laugh:)!

On 3/12/2017 at 7:42 AM, Ayrlego said:

Stunning work here Garmadon! A lot to like but I especially wanted to mention the house - love the colour scheme and the detail in the interior is superb, especially that fireplace! The fountain is really well done, and one of the best attempts at that style of fountain that I've seen.

Like I said in Captain B's thread, it's good to see the EWTC getting some love - It's probably the TC that appeals to me the most!

Thanks a lot, Ayrlego!  Dark green is definitely an awesome color, and though what's here is about the largest house I could build in that color with my current bricks (and Kai's :laugh:), I hope to keep getting some good use out of what I do have! :wink:  Interiors are a great deal of fun to work with too, and I'm really glad you like the fountain - I really wanted to get some water in the build somewhere to complete the color-scheme, and that seemed the best (and most Eslandolan!) place for it here!  Thanks! :pir-sweet:

Well, I hope we can keep up with the ETWC builds - it's definitely the one which appeals to me most as well! :grin: :pir_laugh2: