Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 18 Rumors and Discussion

Well I'll say this, they've all got great new facial expressions, so there's definitely that to come away with for those who don't care for costumed CMFs. The Elephant Girl's and Dragon Guy's expressions particularly are useful, as they're just not typical happy faces. Not to say that the happy expressions we do get aren't anything special, as they're all unique in own ways.

2 hours ago, tormentalous said:

BZPower reported that the Classic Police Officer comes one per box.

Well shucks, I didn't know you were on here Allen! I always visit your site first thing every morning even before I sign in here at Eurobricks. :blush:

9 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well I'll say this, they've all got great new facial expressions, so there's definitely that to come away with for those who don't care for costumed CMFs.

That's one of the things i miss the most about three regular CMFs a year, adding new expressions to the library.

6 minutes ago, K_Tiger said:

That's one of the things i miss the most about three regular CMFs a year, adding new expressions to the library.

But from this series, that's really one of the only things you'll gain from this CMS. :sceptic:

The Unicorn Knight quote says he brings the glitter to the party

LOL Really LEGO?????

First unwrapping! Can't wait to get them in april! ;) 

a little disapointed that fireworks guy has no printing underneath, but love dragon minifigure

Edited by cebelicamya

46 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

But from this series, that's really one of the only things you'll gain from this CMS. :sceptic:

I think they're novel, if of limited practical "value". Still, there are some useful parts outside of the heads.

4 minutes ago, K_Tiger said:

I think they're novel, if of limited practical "value". Still, there are some useful parts outside of the heads.

Certainly, such as the Unicorn Guy's shield, the Coyboy's torso and hat, the Spider Guy's hoodie, the Racecar Guy minus the racecar, the Elephant Girl's mouse and pink tutu, the Clown's red bowtie and orange TLBM Joker coattails, and his balloon dogs too.

But all in all, the Clown, Birthday Boy, and Birthday Girl seem like the best figures of this CMS as a whole.

They definitely look better than in high quality pics. 

And the dragon is still my favorite! 

I also assume the bags will match the box art . 

6 hours ago, tormentalous said:

BZPower reported that the Classic Police Officer comes one per box.

Yes that definitely makes sense it will also make him more desirable in the secondary market and for collectors. now I think I might want one.

I was curious what Lego was doing with the odd figure count in the series... Only one Police Officer per case, huh? I look forward to the hunt.

Edited by 22kane
reworded

Now that there are official pic I'll share my thoughts on the whole series, from worst to best minifigure

Police Officer: Worst of the series, which is a sad thing since the party is supposed to be in his honor. His just look like an outsider as he doesn't fit with the theme of the series (Party/Costumes) and his printing is way too simple for a CMF. I'll just pretend he doesn't exist so the series has 16 characters and fits in my shelve with the rest of the series. He is not a 0/10 just because of the 1x2 printed tile, but the rest is a waste of a spot in the wave 1/10

Unicorn Knight: I get LEGO needed to reuse some old molds for this series, but this is a gender swap that no one asked for. I mean, it's not as bad as reusing the shark mask as an orca, but still. If they wanted so bad to reuse the horse mask, then a Pegasus costume would have been better, IMO. Just add a wings piece and a greek vase as accessory. Again, it's not a 0/10 because of the shield 2/10

Brick Suit Girl: Unpopular opinion here, I know. But these brick costumes look like way too plain and boring for me. The most interesting thing about them is thinking for any reuse of the brick body in a upcoming CMF series. Also, this is a gender swap that wasn't really needed because you just need to switch heads to swap the gender of the character. 3/10

Brick Suit Guy: This is slightly above the girl version just because I like his hairpiece better. But yeah, meh. 3/10

Cowboy Suit Guy: I like the idea and horse mold but the minifigure is missing the fake cowboy legs to achieve the effect they were going for. The hat is nice and so is the torso. Also, it's nice to get the Unicorn Girl's tail in brown. 4/10

Birthday Cake Guy: I don't what to think of this minifigure. I want to like him, but something it's off here. Maybe is the hairpiece? It's just way too plain for today's standards. The torso is neat and the cake piece (or pieces) are also cool 6/10

Race Car Guy: The guy is just a racer with a car stuck in the middle. The idea of the costume doesn't really work here because the legs are not hidden. But I really like this racer a lot better than the Series 3 one. 6/10

Rocket Guy: His looks nice but we just got a Rocket Boy in series 17, so it feels like a rehash. Also, I find odd that he is wearing sunglasses because the fireworks shows take place during the night. Also, this is the first suicidal CMF because his costume is meant to explode 6/10

Cat Suit Girl: I said it before and I'll say it again. These full mask costumes are way too creepy, just like the Gorilla and Panda. The animal costumes are meant to be funny, not creepy. They just needed to make an open mask mould like the Elephant or the Dragon. Other than that, I love her printing and the teal fish piece. 6/10

Birthday Party Boy: Nice hairpiece. Nice face. And new balloon hairpiece. Great minifigure 7/10

Birthday Party Girl: Just like the boy, but I like this hairpiece better. 7/10

Cactus Girl: I like both the parts and the whole. The mask I don't it can be reused, but if you replace the arms for regular minifigure arms, then you have a cucumber costume. The arms I think might reappear somehow. 7/10

Flower Costume Girl: Again, I love both the parts and the whole. The pot mould will be funny to reuse with the Plant Monster from Series 14 and the flower mask will be useful by itsef. It can easily turned into a monster  7/10

Spider Suit Guy: I like the mask and the neck piece they used for the spider legs. The torso is ok. But what I really LOVE here is the faces. I'm glad they sneaked in a "horror/monster" minifigure in the series, despite being party-themed. 7/10

Birthday Party Clown: I love clowns, so this one is one of my favorites in the series for sure. The balloon animals are just adorable. And the reuse of the Joker tails is a welcomed surprise. The face is kinda a let down, but I love the overall minifigure anyway.  8/10

Elephant Girl: I just love her. The mask is perfect. The new mouse is perfect. The faces are perfect. The tutu is perfect. LOVE her. 9/10

Dragon Suit Guy: Easily the best of the series and one of the best CMFs ever produced. The mask is perfect and so is the tail. I love that they took inspiration from the 2013 Castle dragon. The wings work perfectly for the dragon suit. And he has double face. It can't get any better than that.  10/10

Overall Series 18 is a 5/10 for me. At this point it seems Series 6 won't be dethroned as the best CMF series ever

Edited by Robert8

More info:

-The new balloon piece and the handle are one piece molded all together

-The presents in the Birthday Boy/Girl are not 2x2 bricks, but hollow 2x2 pieces, so you can actually put the CMFs bags inside

-Cat Girl has actually cat make-up on her face. Looks like the Cats musical make-up

-Cactus Girl has torso printing

Source: https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/02/17/first-impressions-collectible-minifigure-series-18-new-york-toy-fair-2018-news/

Edited by Robert8

Final impressions:

Classic Policeman: He's really just riding on nostalgia, but it's a great little commemorative piece that would normally be a purchase reward at LEGO Stores, and making him an extra figure makes it easy to exclude him from the series if you so please.

The rest, ranked:

Party Clown: I really wanted to love this figure, as all of the previous clowns have been great, but no. Nothing really works for me here. The colors really don't work together for me, and I think if he had full white face makeup, that would have worked better, since his yellow skin is causing some of the clash for me. The balloon animals are the only reason I'd get him.

Firework Guy: There's just nothing about him I find interesting. 

Brick Suit Girl: I like the concept, but she strikes me as a little boring.

Brick Suit Guy: Same here, but the classic red is better. 

Unicorn Guy: I'm disappointed it was a simple palette-swap, because I really wish they had expanded on the knight theme. 

Cactus Girl: Odd and entertaining for a couple of seconds, but not much more can be done beyond using it as a source for desert MOCs. 

Cowboy Costume Guy: He has some decent pieces, but he doesn't really interest me.

Race Car Guy: Cars and racing couldn't interest me less, but the figure came out great, and I love the face.

Birthday Party Girl: She's cute, but not much more than City-level, and she ought to have had some gifts in that box.

Birthday Party Boy: I like him a bit more because of his minifigure packets.

Elephant Suit Girl: The mouse and the screaming face make this one. The pink tutu is also nice to have, if there's a torso it would work with.

Dragon Suit Guy: A great reproduction of some of the large dragons in past sets, and the face is great.

Cat Costume Girl: I really love the weird 80s-hero kind of anthropomorphic vibe to this one, and the face makeup underneath is a great touch.

Flower Pot Girl: Cute, and destined to become a monster.

Birthday Cake Guy: The whole design is great, as is the idea. 

Spider Suit Boy: I had doubts, but the Toy Fair proves the mask's eyelids are silver, not blue. I hope we get to find out what connection he has to the other spooky kids.

Looks like the minifigure stands inside of the cake, it's not a skirt piece or replacing his legs.

Now I can say that this series to me is the worst of all 18 in the terms of what I myself will buy, which are 10x dragons, 3 or 4 cactus, and MAYBE one extra spider. But that's all. Though I can surely understand the appeal those minifigures may have on other buyers, and though I surely like most of the new mold and understand the price increase for this one series in particular (not understood for series 17 instead), I really hope they return to normal classic minifigure series (at least 1!!!) for 2019.

This minifigure:

Risultati immagini per lego 60173 minifigures

to me is more interesting than the whole 17 proposed. And I seldom buy city sets, if never.
Too bad :)

Elephant > Cactus > Flower > Unicorn > Cowboy > Bricks > Cake > Dragon > Race car > Firework > Party kids > Clown > Cat > Spider 

And last and totally least is the character who reportedly has only one per box. Its almost like they're encouraging a certain behavior. 

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

More info:

-The presents in the Birthday Boy/Girl are not 2x2 bricks, but hollow 2x2 pieces, so you can actually put the CMFs bags inside

To the first point: Ugh.

To the second point, interesting I suppose.  Unexpected.

8 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Has that been confirmed or were the two parts stuck together just for the demo versions at the Toy Fair to stop the balloons from going missing?