Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 18 Rumors and Discussion

6 hours ago, Steampunk Sheriff said:

What we have here is new characters based on classic western tropes. What I was suggesting, if Lego were to continue with adding a classic throwback, that I'd like to see a re-release  of the classic established and well know design of the old western minifigs. 

Now this is either a place where a fan can discuss his opinions or this is a place where you get shot down if you do. Better to read and understand the intention before making assumptions I recon.

You said you wanted "an update of classic figs with new updated prints and facesClassic Sheriff, Classic Cowboy, Bandits, Cavalry and all those western classics would be a welcome addition":

12 hours ago, Steampunk Sheriff said:

I'd love a CMF series that has an update of classic figs with new updated prints and faces. Classic Sheriff, Classic Cowboy, Bandits, Cavalry and all those western classics would be a welcome addition. 

Thats what those are, update of figs with new updated prints and faces of a sheriff, cowboy and bandit. They wouldn't be 'classic' if they have "new updated prints and faces", your original statement is contradictory. The Series 18 cop in discussion doesn't have a new updated print or face, it has the same old decorations (however print vs sticker) and face as the original 'classic'. A more accurate description would be rerun, rerelease or reissue of that same old figure.

Since you now post that what you meant was that you want a production rerun/new CMF series with some older 'classic' western figures without "new updated prints and faces" (like the Series 18 police figure) then any misunderstanding is not the fault of the reader because that is not what you said. You want reruns of the 1996 sheriff wild wyatt west and similar but said something different in the original post therefore it wasn't a lack of reading comprehension nor was it "shot down", suppressing of opinions, or a personal attack in any way. Since this is getting off topic and there is a clear failure to communicate feel free to respond but I am going to let this thread return to the topic at hand. 

Edited by koalayummies

I think the intent is to get a faithful update of a classic minifigure.  The CMF Sheriff is not a faithful update of the pictured Sheriff:

sheriff.jpgww021.png

To make a faithful update of the minifigure on the right, the one on the left should have been wearing mostly grey with black pants and a red bow tie.  Updated to modern standards, of course, but faithful to the classic.  So printing a belt and holster would be appropriate, as would using the newer cowboy hat and mustache molds.  The mustache should have been black, however, and the hat grey...

I'd like to see updated versions of classic characters myself.

I consider the Forestman to work well on this level as it is pretty faithful to the original, while being a more generic color in place of the black / blue / red.  A shield with a Stag would have been nice to complete the look, but they eventually gave one to the Elf, so I suppose that's OK.

250?cb=20110324174133cas137.png

I don't consider the Black Falcon minifigure from the Kingdoms line to be a good update, however, because they made his accent color green rather than the blue or yellow of the classic. He does have gold accents as well, which could be representative of the yellow, but they are mostly hidden under his armor or in the saddle.  It's primarily the feather that bothers me.  The shield is great in this case, though.  And that's probably my favorite barding.

97ba8a158f159ae8cea6b5dd9dd974b9.jpg6074_Knight_2.jpg

Classic minifigure reissues like the Policeman are nice, though.  I like the homage to the original LEGO minifigure.  But perhaps he should have been in a polybag with a mini build of his car rather than the CMF series.  Still, I'd love a series of 16 Classic Spacemen in colors that were never available.  How about dark purple?  Dark turquoise?  Dark red?  Or other non-dark colors like magenta...

Edited by x105Black

9 minutes ago, x105Black said:

I think the intent is to get a faithful update of a classic minifigure.  The CMF Sheriff is not a faithful update of the pictured Sheriff:

sheriff.jpgww021.png

To make a faithful update of the minifigure on the right, the one on the left should have been wearing mostly grey with black pants and a red bow tie.  Updated to modern standards, of course, but faithful to the classic.  So printing a belt and holster would be appropriate, as would using the newer cowboy hat and mustache molds.  The mustache should have been black, however, and the hat grey...

I'd like to see updated versions of classic characters myself.

I consider the Forestman to work well on this level as it is pretty faithful to the original, while being a more generic color in place of the black / blue / red.  A shield with a Stag would have been nice to complete the look, but they eventually gave one to the Elf, so I suppose that's OK.

250?cb=20110324174133cas137.png

I don't consider the Black Falcon minifigure from the Kingdoms line to be a good update, however, because they made his accent color green rather than the blue or yellow of the classic. He does have gold accents as well, which could be representative of the yellow, but they are mostly hidden under his armor or in the saddle.  It's primarily the feather that bothers me.  The shield is great in this case, though.  And that's probably my favorite barding.

97ba8a158f159ae8cea6b5dd9dd974b9.jpg6074_Knight_2.jpg

Classic minifigure reissues like the Policeman are nice, though.  I like the homage to the original LEGO minifigure.  But perhaps he should have been in a polybag with a mini build of his car rather than the CMF series.  Still, I'd love a series of 16 Classic Spacemen in colors that were never available.  How about dark purple?  Dark turquoise?  Dark red?  Or other non-dark colors like magenta...

Yeah this. That's what I meant. Thank you

The good: Some costumed minifigs in this Series have beautiful design (like the dragon) and are loved by many fans of LEGO.

The bad: repetitive characters (2x balloon kids, 2x brick costumes) or too similar to previous releases (unicorn, clown), 17 minifigs instead of 16/20 like before (anyone who displays CMF's on 48x48 baseplates like me will understand)

The ugly: orange baseplates (ruins anyone's display look, as if Batman 2 CMF wasn't bad enough with a useless logo print), that cat costume just looks wrong

I don't want to repeat myself through multiple forum threads but there are enough examples of standard (non-licenced) minifigs that TLG could create without the need to make dozens of new part moulds and justify increasing CMF price tags, like these ideas here: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/132488-some-ideas-for-cmfs/. Besides, if I want a classic looking minifigure I can just buy an original, used one on ebay (parents almost sell them off for pennies after their kids grow up). So I think the re-issue of a 1978 police minifig is useless.

I understand the complaints some people have, but don't share them. I don't generally buy Lego to keep as is (a few rare exceptions). I see uses for most of these figs, and can even find a use for the orange plates.

If your collection is intended for display, I'm certain LEGO has considered this and plans to release a special display case. I can even see them making a standalone case for the Classic Policeman, possibly with a backdrop design based on the original box art.

15 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

I can even see them making a standalone case for the Classic Policeman, possibly with a backdrop design based on the original box art.

I can't. Sales would depend on people buying another set, which is supposedly random blind bagged. Also, I doubt most people would care enough to buy a display case for something like the policeman on his own. He is not exactly an attractive figure, only really interesting as he was one of the first minifigures. Most kids won't care about that.

So now that series 18 is revealed, maybe someone should should find the guessing game as announce the winner.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:44 AM, R0Sch said:

The ugly: orange baseplates (ruins anyone's display look, as if Batman 2 CMF wasn't bad enough with a useless logo print), that cat costume just looks wrong

I'm not sure if we know the bag color of this series, but I would love the plate have some way to indicate the series that it is for, either by color (ideally matching bag color) and/or a print (like batman series 2 or brickheadz). For my current CFM display, I add plates under the black baseplate that closely matches the color of that series. This way, if I ever take out a figure from the display or mix up figure from different series, I have an easy way to quickly return each figure back to its series.

I don't think they have repeat the same bag color yet for the main CMF series, but for the sub-series (the licensed ones) and repeats, they can just put a logo or number there. I know you hate the logo but you can either turn the plate around or bricklink a ton of the generic black ones.

14 minutes ago, badbob001 said:

I'm not sure if we know the bag color of this series, but I would love the plate have some way to indicate the series that it is for, either by color (ideally matching bag color) and/or a print (like batman series 2 or brickheadz). For my current CFM display, I add plates under the black baseplate that closely matches the color of that series. This way, if I ever take out a figure from the display or mix up figure from different series, I have an easy way to quickly return each figure back to its series.

I don't think they have repeat the same bag color yet for the main CMF series, but for the sub-series (the licensed ones) and repeats, they can just put a logo or number there. I know you hate the logo but you can either turn the plate around or bricklink a ton of the generic black ones.

Minifigures should come with two baseplates, one with logo in colour of the series and one without it.

57 minutes ago, badbob001 said:

I don't think they have repeat the same bag color yet for the main CMF series, but for the sub-series (the licensed ones) and repeats, they can just put a logo or number there. 

They haven't 100% exactly repeated any colors, but we've had two orange series, two yellow series, two light blue series, two lime green series, and three white series if you count the spinoffs, and yet no purple series. The licensed series do have their own scheme and use themed backgrounds to stand out and prevent more reuses than there need to be, but it seems purple is too "girly" for a CMF color and not worth the risk.

On 30/1/2018 at 7:44 AM, R0Sch said:

I think that's because the cat mask is a full mask, like the Gorilla or the Panda.

They look creepy. The "open" maks like the Elephant's, the Dragon's or the Spider's are much bettter IMO

13 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

Minifigures should come with two baseplates, one with logo in colour of the series and one without it.

Pretty pointless if you ask me. They should put the baseplate with logo with the Minifigures, if you don't like it you can buy a generic black baseplate for £0.25 on bricks and pieces.

15 hours ago, 8BrickMario said:

They haven't 100% exactly repeated any colors, but we've had two orange series, two yellow series, two light blue series, two lime green series, and three white series if you count the spinoffs, and yet no purple series. The licensed series do have their own scheme and use themed backgrounds to stand out and prevent more reuses than there need to be, but it seems purple is too "girly" for a CMF color and not worth the risk.

We haven't had two yellow series. We have had three yellow series.

4 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

We haven't had two yellow series. We have had three yellow series.

Technically, Series 10 was golden, but yes, that does count. When looking at WhiteFang's most recent comparison, the color looked different enough from the flat yelllows that I didn't consider it.

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I think that's because the cat mask is a full mask, like the Gorilla or the Panda.

They look creepy. The "open" maks like the Elephant's, the Dragon's or the Spider's are much bettter IMO

I disagree, actually.  The Cat doesn't look very good, but I prefer the Gorilla and Panda style to the Elephant and Unicorn.  The Dragon will be great, regardless.

4 hours ago, 8BrickMario said:

Technically, Series 10 was golden, but yes, that does count. When looking at WhiteFang's most recent comparison, the color looked different enough from the flat yelllows that I didn't consider it.

I didn't mean series 10. I meant series 1, 12 and 16.

54 minutes ago, Pop Star c o said:

I didn't mean series 10. I meant series 1, 12 and 16.

Oh, I forgot about that. Don't know why I didn't see it in the image. 

On 2/2/2018 at 8:22 PM, 8BrickMario said:

Oh, I forgot about that. Don't know why I didn't see it in the image. 

However, they were all three different shades of yellow.

But making a FOURTH different shade of yellow...they can, but it will look very similar to at least one of the previous three.

Double faces: Spider suit, Elephant Suit, Dragon Suit

71021_alle17.jpg?resize=640%2C284

Is it just me or the presents look way too big. They are supposed to be 2x2 bricks, right?

Edited by Robert8

Nice to see them all together.

I don't really care much for the crown on the Unicorn's torso.

The Cactus looks great among the others.

I really want some Dragons.