Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 18 Rumors and Discussion

The Dragon Suit guy is based on the Dragon from The Dragon mountain set. Looking forward to this.

And the nostalgic police officer 

20180127_115400-500x400.jpg

20180127_220531-140x140.jpg

Edited by tastybrick
Add

I'm usually not interested in CMF but THIS one look gloriois! The Dragon and the Cat look amazing!

I don't like this wave overall. I may be interested in the Dragon Suit Guy provided he hasn't a zip painted in the rear, but that's all.
I may also be interested in:

• Spider Legs provided they're not one piece with the headgear
  • The new mouse
  • The Unicorn Shield

And I find interesting the cactus girl and the flower girl.

I think this will save me a lot of  money.

I would say this series met my expectations satisfactorily, but not exceedingly. These are nice figures. I think I'll get an extra of the Rocket guy to display.

Also I'm a fan of the police officer. I've long been aware of the signifcance of the 600 set and I'm happy to see it getting an homage.

:classic:

Also I might have an unpopular opinion but I really like the figures with objects on their waists. They are wacky and I love it!

The party figures themselves are not my favorite aside from the clown, but they look very nice regardless. Overall a worthy addition to the collection in my opinion. I don't mind this special series but I understand some will be disappointed to not get any regular series this year. Hopefully we'll get one next year, peeps!

The orange bases are an interesting choice for this series.  I don't mind them, considering this is an anniversary celebration and not just a standard series.  I hope they return to the typical black bases for future series.

22 hours ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

I feel like with a change of limbs, and a jar accessory, the Cactus suit can easily become a Pickle suit.

I think you just gave LEGO an idea. 

18 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Is it wrong to say the cowboy is hung like a horse? :sweet:

Seriously though, is the upper part of the dragon's helmet an articulated visor allowing you to open and close the dragon's mouth, or is that wishful thinking?

Probably, wrong. As for the Dragon Head, that is definitely wishful thinking on your part. 

Cat Suit - When I first saw it I thought it was a skunk. That makes me think they reused the Chima Fox/Skunk head for that figure. 

Cactus Suit - Glad I was not the only one, that thought of the Final Fantasy Cactuar. 

21 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Is it wrong to say the cowboy is hung like a horse? :sweet:

Seriously though, is the upper part of the dragon's helmet an articulated visor allowing you to open and close the dragon's mouth, or is that wishful thinking?

Could be wishful thinking, but I think the unicorn knight looks like it could have a visor piece too

EDIT: Jut realized it's the same mold as the first unicorn which doesnt have a visor, so yeah, probably not.

Edited by SNOTenough

8 hours ago, x105Black said:

Only the guy with the racecar has a visor.

It looks like the race car has the same wheels as the skateboards therefore I think you can push it about like another Lego car.

^ Pleasantly surprised by this, I thought the wheels would be moulded on.

I figure yellow should have been the colour of them there MF bases. That being the good ol' classic smiley head colour. And being the minifigure anniversary and all. Heck, I'm surprised they didn't stamp it as such. 40th stamp or Lego stamp. Even Batman got a branding. 

13 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Cat Suit - When I first saw it I thought it was a skunk. That makes me think they reused the Chima Fox/Skunk head for that figure.

No, it isn't that one. It has round eyes.

18 hours ago, x105Black said:

The orange bases are an interesting choice for this series.  I don't mind them, considering this is an anniversary celebration and not just a standard series.  I hope they return to the typical black bases for future series.

seri was thinking the same if tue black bases were going to come back. Thougj I'm fond of the original black bases, I wouldnt mind seeing bases in the color of the minifigures bag series. I just like color. :grin:

5 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

seri was thinking the same if tue black bases were going to come back. Thougj I'm fond of the original black bases, I wouldnt mind seeing bases in the color of the minifigures bag series. I just like color. :grin:

I don't think orange will be the color of this series

We just got orange in Series 15 

If I had to guess I'd say red would be the color

On 26/01/2018 at 3:20 PM, AmperZand said:

@MAB Until last year, LEGO were still using smiley faces as real ones in its Modular Buildings line (e.g. Assembly Square). They may have stopped doing that since Downtown Diner, but it may be premature to say that LEGO won't keep using it in other lines. As far as LEGO is concerned, I'm pretty sure they still consider it as a real face - just one they don't use much anymore.

I know. But as the first CMF to use the classic style face, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the series. So presumably if the costume is fancy dress (like in the comment I replied to), then it is a mask not a real face.

That said, I don't think the policeman is fancy dress. It looks like a last minute shove-in to celebrate 40 years of minifigures and is very out of place with the rest of this series (and in fact, all the other CMF series). It shows how far minifigures have come since the very simple original prints (or in this case, stickers).

No way - the racecar driver seems to have the Rocket Racer logo. Kinda looks like a modern version of him, too; facially at least.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I know. But as the first CMF to use the classic style face, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the series. So presumably if the costume is fancy dress (like in the comment I replied to), then it is a mask not a real face.

That said, I don't think the policeman is fancy dress. It looks like a last minute shove-in to celebrate 40 years of minifigures and is very out of place with the rest of this series (and in fact, all the other CMF series). It shows how far minifigures have come since the very simple original prints (or in this case, stickers).

I think they did that on purpose, so he would stand out in the series

But standing out is not always a good thing. In this it doesn't work. (At least for me). If they wanted to pay homage to that minifigure, maybe re-releasing his set would have been better? Or have the whole Series being a "vintage/ throwback" series. 

I've seen comments on social media, with people saying they won't get the Policeman so the series will have 16 minifigures as usual, and then it will fit in the display cases, which is pretty sad considering  the party is meant to be in honor of the Policeman

I like the concept of the classic cop just not the execution. If that torso has never seen a print and was only a sticker then by all means make it a CMF but surely it could have been its own 40th Set with the car? Or give him a cop design wearable car like the race car. And update the head. I'd love a CMF series that has an update of classic figs with new updated prints and faces. Classic Sheriff, Classic Cowboy, Bandits, Cavalry and all those western classics would be a welcome addition. 

4 hours ago, Steampunk Sheriff said:

I'd love a CMF series that has an update of classic figs with new updated prints and faces. Classic Sheriff, Classic Cowboy, Bandits, Cavalry and all those western classics would be a welcome addition. 

Since this is the second time in 3 posts that you've mentioned that in this thread, they have done those....

cowboy.jpg

http://www.collectibleminifigs.com/minifig.asp?n=cowboy

bandit.jpg

http://www.collectibleminifigs.com/minifig.asp?n=bandit

sheriff.jpg

http://www.collectibleminifigs.com/minifig.asp?n=sheriff

There's also "tribals", tribals, tribals, cowgirl, prospector,  

Edited by koalayummies

28 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Since this is the second time in 3 posts that you've mentioned that in this thread, they have done those....

cowboy.jpg

http://www.collectibleminifigs.com/minifig.asp?n=cowboy

bandit.jpg

http://www.collectibleminifigs.com/minifig.asp?n=bandit

sheriff.jpg

http://www.collectibleminifigs.com/minifig.asp?n=sheriff

There's also "tribals", tribals, tribals, cowgirl, prospector,  

What we have here is new characters based on classic western tropes. What I was suggesting, if Lego were to continue with adding a classic throwback, that I'd like to see a re-release  of the classic established and well know design of the old western minifigs. 

Now this is either a place where a fan can discuss his opinions or this is a place where you get shot down if you do. Better to read and understand the intention before making assumptions I recon.

ww021.png

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

But standing out is not always a good thing. In this it doesn't work. (At least for me). If they wanted to pay homage to that minifigure, maybe re-releasing his set would have been better? Or have the whole Series being a "vintage/ throwback" series. 

Yep, either would have worked although a full CMF of vintage figures would have probably bombed unless they put in some decent ones, not just plain torsos and boring police uniforms (boring compared to the multitude of today's police minifigures). A set of vintage space in all the different colours would be nice for AFOLs but probably not so much for kids.

A full set of entirely classic minifigures would be an ill-advised decision that would be better sold as a LEGO store freebie. The retro cop is just one character that can easily be displayed outside the party. Sure, he's the guest of honor, but as a product, he's a nice extra collectible that doesn't need to be part of the display if you don't want him to be.

9 minutes ago, 8BrickMario said:

A full set of entirely classic minifigures would be an ill-advised decision that would be better sold as a LEGO store freebie. The retro cop is just one character that can easily be displayed outside the party. Sure, he's the guest of honor, but as a product, he's a nice extra collectible that doesn't need to be part of the display if you don't want him to be.

And that would even things up to 16 figs as well