Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 18 Rumors and Discussion

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, 22kane said:

I personally hope it is a rare (one per case) figure. It would make the hunt challenging but fun. 

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the ill will with which a large number of people regard the special Mr. Gold chase figure ... They found it neither "challenging" nor "fun" but rather aggravating when their search ended up fruitless. It would be a shame if Lego did not learn from that and tried to introduce a rare figure like that again.

I get where you're coming from, but there's a big difference in a one-per-case chase figure and 5K figures spread amongst an entire series' production run. I don't know if I like the idea myself, and I think Mr. Gold was handled pretty poorly.

We'll see when they announce S.17, though.

Edited by K_Tiger

I'm not sure if LEGO even cares about our aggravation. They started numbering their brickheadz boxes so everyone will clearly notice the gap reserved for the convention exclusives.

9 hours ago, DarrellBricker said:

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the ill will with which a large number of people regard the special Mr. Gold chase figure ... They found it neither "challenging" nor "fun" but rather aggravating when their search ended up fruitless. It would be a shame if Lego did not learn from that and tried to introduce a rare figure like that again.

Quite familiar...

9 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

I get where you're coming from, but there's a big difference in a one-per-case chase figure and 5K figures spread amongst an entire series' production run. I don't know if I like the idea myself, and I think Mr. Gold was handled pretty poorly.

We'll see when they announce S.17, though.

Exactly. Not to the extreme elusiveness of Mr. Gold. I think one per case would be cool and actually attainable but I'm not really concerned either way. I'll be collecting the series like I do any other one. 

11 hours ago, badbob001 said:

I'm not sure if LEGO even cares about our aggravation. They started numbering their brickheadz boxes so everyone will clearly notice the gap reserved for the convention exclusives.

THIS. I'm totally pissed off. They wouldn't have any problem in numbering with special numbers like S1 S2 S3, or A B C, or whatever suits most... This is likely prevent many people from collecting the whole series as per "If I already know I can't collect them all, there's no point whatsoever in collecting the other ones around."

And one of those can be me, as I possess the first 12 they made.

Edited by Itaria No Shintaku

I'd be ok with a one-per-case rarity level

I wonder why they decided to this now and not on Series 20, which would have make more sense to me

The topic is getting extensive, but I'm I right CMF series 18 will be released in may, thus a year after series 17 and that it will be made up of costumed characters? Is it certain there will be again a mystery minifigure or a very rare one or perhaps both?

Only one regular minifigure series a year is a long wait. As with each series I'm very curious to see the minifigures, but I'm not a big fan of costumed minifigures. They are mostly far fetched and not really useful in my city or other LEGO fantasies. I hope to see some interesting ones, but otherwise I won't mind since I stopped collecting them all because of the price.

Has anybody an idea when we can expect the next series to be announced?

Just now, Wesley D said:

The topic is getting extensive, but I'm I right CMF series 18 will be released in may

April 2018, as far as we know

Just now, Wesley D said:

and that it will be made up of costumed characters?

Yes, the theme is a costume party. All the minifigures will be wearing costumes

Just now, Wesley D said:

Is it certain there will be again a mystery minifigure or a very rare one or perhaps both?

We know that there will be 17 minifigures in this series. But we don't know yet if the extra minifigure will be rarer than the rest

Just now, Wesley D said:

Only one regular minifigure series a year is a long wait

100% agree

Just now, Wesley D said:

Has anybody an idea when we can expect the next series to be announced?

Next series is Batman Movie series 2 to be released next January. I guess it will be announced around a month from now

Thank you very much! I don't care for the Batman CMF (too much batsuits and unfortunately the minifigures aren't yellow skinned), but I'm very curious to see CMF18!

4 hours ago, Wesley D said:

Thank you very much! I don't care for the Batman CMF (too much batsuits and unfortunately the minifigures aren't yellow skinned), but I'm very curious to see CMF18!

I agree with you on both counts. However, some of the existing Batman CMFs aren't fleshy per se, can be made yellowy fairly easily or are useful for parts, e.g. the Batman knight and wizard in this picture both use parts from the series. 

While I typically would expect such a book to be released to coincide with an inevitable Series 20, does anyone think we might see DK Publishers release an updated CMS Character Encyclopedia to instead coincide with Series 18 next year? I'm only wondering if this will be the case given Series 18's special designation for the minifigure's 40th anniversary.

Just now, K_Tiger said:

I'd expect a book for the 40th anniversary of the minifigure or the 10th anniversary of the CMF line.

Oh yeah, of course! I didn't even realize that was the other relevant anniversary to the Collectable Minifigure line. :distressed:

3 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

I'd expect a book for the 40th anniversary of the minifigure or the 10th anniversary of the CMF line.

Which would coincide with CMF Series 20, if they go with one regular series per yer from now on

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Which would coincide with CMF Series 20, if they go with one regular series per yer from now on

Oh, never mind.

When @K_Tiger mentioned the tenth anniversary date for the CMF line, I accidentally thought that the theme first came around in 2008, therefore making the line's tenth anniversary next year. Nope, 2010 was its introduction year, making 2020 the year of its tenth anniversary like you'd said. :facepalm:

No more exclusive figures please. Mr. Gold is by far the single rudest thing Lego has ever done, and that includes convention exclusives, which are extremely heartbreaking.

Convention exclusives will kill brickheadz. Why anyone one would want to collect these knowing they can't complete their collection is beyond me.

I won't be at all happy if we just get one regular series a year. The regular series always have a great variety and there is usually something to please everyone plus a lot of useful new accessories.

27 minutes ago, lifeinplastic said:

I won't be at all happy if we just get one regular series a year. The regular series always have a great variety and there is usually something to please everyone plus a lot of useful new accessories.

It's looking that way, though. I've seen some speculation that 2/3 of the CMF slots will be taken by TLM2 and The Billion Brick Race. The saving grace is that TLM2 could err close to a "regular" CMF series.

Edited by K_Tiger

On October 22, 2017 at 10:22 AM, K_Tiger said:

I had the same suspicion about that.

3 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

It's looking that way, though. I've seen some speculation that 2/3 of the CMF slots will be taken by TLM2 and The Billion Brick Race. The saving grace is that TLM2 could err close to a "regular" CMF series.

Given the underwhelming performance of The Lego Ninjago Movie at the box office, I'm wondering if Warner Bros. will some time next year push the release date of The Billion Brick Race over to early 2020 instead, giving both WB and TLG a little more breathing room as far as cinematic movies go. If that indeed happens, perhaps then we would have a slot opened up for a second "regular" CMS for 2019.

The Batman Movie did well but no equal at all to the original and ninjago is not going to come close to either.  I hope lego recognizes that the broader the film's appeal, the better the sales.