Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 18 Rumors and Discussion

Licensed/Themed never do well against general CMFs. Too narrow in scope. That said, there were some nice figures in the TLNM series. I'm pretty excited for S.18, and I'm hoping they're some non-suit costumes.

Edited by K_Tiger

4 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

I'm pretty excited for S.18, and I'm hoping they're some non-suit costumes.

You mean like trick-or-treaters? Since this is the only regular series on 2018 (:hmpf_bad:) I hope they will include one, even if May is not time for Halloween stuff

Halloween costume(s) would work, and they could give us that Marie Antoinette/masquerade ball figure Alexandre Boudon designed.

On 05/10/2017 at 8:38 PM, K_Tiger said:

I'm pretty excited for S.18, and I'm hoping they're some non-suit costumes

I agree. It's good to have a more traditional selection that fit into non-fiction mocs. For TLNM, I really like them but I would most likely get the selfie stick man instead of the shark army minifigs. 

On 10/5/2017 at 12:15 PM, Robert8 said:

You mean like trick-or-treaters? Since this is the only regular series on 2018 (:hmpf_bad:) I hope they will include one, even if May is not time for Halloween stuff

Same here, trick-or-treaters really are the only useful CMF archetypes that can fit within a normal City setting, whereas animal/food costume characters seem too broad and goofy. :def_shrug:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Same here, trick-or-treaters really are the only useful CMF archetypes that can fit within a normal City setting, whereas animal/food costume characters seem too broad and goofy. :def_shrug:

If you're strictly utilitarian, this is probably true. Food suits work in theory if you've got a themed restaurant with a hype man outside. Hot Dog Suit has a few options in that vein. Banana and Corn, not so much. Bunny Suit works if it's Easter in your Legoville, and I'm sure some AFOL out there has a furry convention in town. :laugh:

I like them because they're interesting, though not particularly useful. However, I do think we're running head-long into "too much of a good thing" territory.

Edited by K_Tiger

There are always minifigures that work in a City setting because people in the present day dress up in all sorts of crazy outfits all the time.  I'm just hoping that there will be something worthwhile for the Castle theme, and the Space theme.  It doesn't seem as likely.

8 hours ago, x105Black said:

I'm just hoping that there will be something worthwhile for the Castle theme, and the Space theme.  It doesn't seem as likely.

Well, we did get the S17 Rocket Suit Boy this year with his awesome Light Bluish Grey CS torso, so just maybe we will see something like that again for next year. :classic:

Honesty, I wouldn't mind costumed CMFs as much if they were more like the Rocket Suit Boy in that respect, that is, as "vehicles" for useful printed torsos or accessories like complementary new animal molds. 

6 minutes ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

Was it written that we will have SEVENTEEN minifigures in series 18?

Yes.

It was in the leaked catalog. 

Batman S2 will have 20 characters and CMF S18 will have 17

Just now, Robert8 said:

Yes.

It was in the leaked catalog. 

Batman S2 will have 20 characters and CMF S18 will have 17

What do you believe guys?
16 normal and one rare like Mr.Gold?
Or as usual (perhaps most 3x and some 4x).

Just now, Itaria No Shintaku said:

What do you believe guys?
16 normal and one rare like Mr.Gold?
Or as usual (perhaps most 3x and some 4x).

A rare minifigure for sure (IMO)

There is no reason whatsoever to include an extra minfiigure, except if it is a rare one

They've always included an even number of characters (16, 18 or 20), with the exception of S10 with Mr Gold

If it's a 17th rare figure, then either I hope it's something I don't like, or I hope I can get a whole box.

I saw the catalog picture too with the 17 figures. The words in the shot are too blurred to make out to see if they explain anything on the 17th figure. I personally hope it is a rare (one per case) figure. It would make the hunt challenging but fun. 

28 minutes ago, 22kane said:

I saw the catalog picture too with the 17 figures. The words in the shot are too blurred to make out to see if they explain anything on the 17th figure. I personally hope it is a rare (one per case) figure. It would make the hunt challenging but fun. 

Where did you see this picture and did it show any of the minifigures or was it just the classic plain yellow figs? 

And what color might the series be ? Just curious for no reason.

1 hour ago, 1Panda said:

Where did you see this picture and did it show any of the minifigures or was it just the classic plain yellow figs? 

We dont know about the color

The pic 22kane mentions is the catalog pic. It doesn't show anything, just plain yellow minifigures

The text in said picture doesnt mention anything about the 17th minifigure

I think the seventeenth fig is a recolour of one of the costumes (most probably the brick costume). It makes sense in so many ways. I think the brick costume can be an all-time favorite for a lot of people. It is a minifig brick. I mean how much more lego can you get? And if there is a exclusive recolour that is extra hard to get, it drawns attention from collectors, scalpers and feeds the inner greediness in us. It is just a good boost for the lego brand. Even lego needs to boost his brand with things like this and keep their fans interested and surprised so they won’t loose their focus on them. 

15 hours ago, Robert8 said:

They've always included an even number of characters (16, 18 or 20), with the exception of S10 with Mr Gold

Team GB was also odd (9).

If they do a rare, I hope it isn't more rare than one per box. Although even then, if it will be easy to feel then the scalpers will just clear them out. So I hope they do a copy of a common one, just in different print / colour. That way, you will never know unless you open it.

Aw, I thought we got a new name or a leaked fig/part. As for number 17, I think it'll be a one-per-case chase, and that it will drop one of the female figures down to x2 per case, or be a female figure itself. Gold brick suit sounds like a likely candidate.

Also, rob-ot doesn't recall the City tree suit being in S.18, so there's that.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

If they do a rare, I hope it isn't more rare than one per box. Although even then, if it will be easy to feel then the scalpers will just clear them out. So I hope they do a copy of a common one, just in different print / colour. That way, you will never know unless you open it.

But then the average Joe would have to buy several packs to find it!

So next year we'll get 17 costumes in this series + 1 in City. 

Is LEGO trying to overkill this costumes thing?

3 hours ago, MAB said:

That was a special series. 

17 hours ago, 1Panda said:

Check out You Tube for "Lego Leaks". You can typically find a lot of early info there. 

21 hours ago, Robert8 said:

So next year we'll get 17 costumes in this series + 1 in City. 

Is LEGO trying to overkill this costumes thing?

Could they be doing one big dump because they intend to dial way back on the regular CMF releases? I guess they're banking on the popularity of the suits to drive sales for 18.