Just released my "The Call of Cthulhu" project on LEGO Ideas yesterday :-)

the_call_of_cthulhu___lego_ideas_project

As a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft's mythology I decided to build a set based on his short story "The Call of Cthulhu", which was released in 1928 and might probably be the most famous tale by this author.

About the scene (might contain spoilers for those who haven't read the story yet):

The scene of my model depicts the arrival of the norwegian sailor Gustaf Johansen and his crew in the city of R'lyeh which was built by alien beings aeons before humanity inhabited the earth and is described as a cyclopean city of titan blocks and sky-flung monoliths (decorated with strange runes). It was sunk to the ground of the ocean, where Cthulhu (an ancient alien being) had to wait for the stars to align the right way so R'lyeh would rise again to the surface. While exploring the ancient ruins the sailors accidently release the "Great Old One" from his prison and try to escape aboard the "Alert", a derelict ship, that was discovered by the sailors earlier...   

About the Minifigures:

I've tried to build LEGO versions of this mighty "Old One" before but only the release of the 13th series of LEGO's "Collectable Minifigures" provided the minifigure-squidhead I was waiting for since it perfectly fits this creatures Appearance! The combination with the wings of the 14th series gargoyle, the 15th serie faun's legs
and the 16th series little devil finally rounded up the list of needed parts to complete this awesome minifigure (although it would be great to have a more dinosaur-like tail like the 5th series lizard man - wich sadly can't be combined with the wings).

To represent the sheer size of Cthulhu I used the minifig-trophy-statuette of the 9th minifigure serie's "Hollywood Starlet" for the sailors. They represent Gustaf Johansen and two of his frightened crewmen.

05qzifzqf10mjbbzg.jpg

vu2etdp2oocvdx9zg.jpg

tvvkpfrvvr3e365zg.jpg

habexi0gjd2m6e7zg.jpg

ydlh23pq6079vaazg.jpg

u81v61ey88gdauszg.jpg

If you like it, please support it!

You might also be interested in my other projects like the life-sized human skull or my RPG boardgame.

Edited by Ragnar

Ha! I am quite a Lovecraft fan and this set definitely won me over. :classic: The set has quite a striking look with its weird geometry, which is very appropriate to the story. Love it :classic: :thumbup:

It's against site guidelines to SCREAM LEGO Ideas promotion. You can talk about your project and MOC and put a link in it, but this is purely promotion. Please change the content of your first topic to be more informative instead of promotion.

Thank you for your notice Jim, but how exactly is "talking about your project and putting a link in it" NOT a promotion?

I will change my post according to your advices on sunday if that's OK, since I don't have much time during the week at the moment... :-(

Just updated my post - hope it's OK now.

Edited by Ragnar

Man, this is great! It's really about time Lego made a Lovecraftian set or at least a figure.

woow!!!! Man, this is very good! Very accurately captured... the first photo: you could cut the atmosphere with a Knife! :thumbup:

15 hours ago, Ragnar said:

Thank you for your notice Jim, but how exactly is "talking about your project and putting a link in it" NOT a promotion?

The way you changed it, is EXACTLY what I had in mind. You have added enough information to make it interesting for EB and its members :thumbup: 

Furthermore, I would like to say that I am a Mansion of Madness player, so I really like the Lovecraft theme. Well done!!