Sign in to follow this  
LittleJohn

Winter Outing

Just a quick 30 minute LUG speed-build that I liked enough to take pictures of and post. One of the main things I wanted to try with this build was the transition from tan to dark tan on the edges of the path, to give the impression of slush.

A Mitgardian trapper goes for a walk in the early morning, after a freshly fallen snow.

overview.jpg

close.jpg

More pictures on Brickbuilt
Thanks for looking, C&C welcome :classic:

Small, but well done.  The lavender leaves play into the cold atmosphere.  Not sure that the dark tan to tan transition makes much of a difference at this size... for a large path, it might be more visible!

Neat build on a small footprint! The tree is nice, though a bit spare (but I guess a tree in Mitgardia in winter is unlikely to be lush). The path does show wetness well, though I would suspect that melting snow would moisten the whole thing and not just the edges. 

Very Nice, LJ! I love the lavender leaves, they work great! :wub:

Nice little snowy scene. The use of colours is really good (lavender and tan are complementary colours).

21 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Small, but well done.  The lavender leaves play into the cold atmosphere.  Not sure that the dark tan to tan transition makes much of a difference at this size... for a large path, it might be more visible!

Thanks Kai, glad you like it. I agree that the transition would be easier to see on a bigger path.

21 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Neat build on a small footprint! The tree is nice, though a bit spare (but I guess a tree in Mitgardia in winter is unlikely to be lush). The path does show wetness well, though I would suspect that melting snow would moisten the whole thing and not just the edges. 

Thanks HQ! Coming from a place that gets snow regularly,  I would have to disagree about the path though; the middle is not as moist/slushy as the edges generally speaking. :wink:

12 hours ago, TitusV said:

Very Nice, LJ! I love the lavender leaves, they work great! :wub:

Thanks Titus!

42 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Well done, the small scene looks great. The idea of slush is nice, but might be more accurate on a well-traveled main road.

Thanks Leonardo! Though slush is going to occur on all paths, not just the main ones :classic:

20 minutes ago, Iria said:

Nice little snowy scene. The use of colours is really good (lavender and tan are complementary colours).

Thank you :classic:

1 hour ago, LittleJohn said:

Coming from a place that gets snow regularly,  I would have to disagree about the path though; the middle is not as moist/slushy as the edges generally speaking.

I grew up in a snowy area, so I know, too, but on a path that small the whole thing would probably be mud unless it was a path used so often that the center was dried out; it would also depend on the season and whether the snow was actively melting (like in springtime--then it's all just mud) or in the frozen depths of winter (then it might just be a bit wet on the edges like you show). So I guess it really depends on the time of year. Either way, I still like your build!

Most excellent vignette! I like the cold atmosphere you captured. The pathway and the tree are nicely detailed. 

Nice one John, its amazing what you have managed to fit into such a small area. The dark to light tan path is a brilliant idea and I hope to see it expanded upon. Great tree :thumbup:

A very nice little build, the tree is particularly pretty! The path transition is a good idea, and I look forward to seeing it used on a larger scale :classic:

Very nice!  I like the light purple and white leaves mixed.  I think my favorite is the addition of flowers and white pieces to the light brown brush.  Great job!

On 3/5/2017 at 6:50 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I grew up in a snowy area, so I know, too, but on a path that small the whole thing would probably be mud unless it was a path used so often that the center was dried out; it would also depend on the season and whether the snow was actively melting (like in springtime--then it's all just mud) or in the frozen depths of winter (then it might just be a bit wet on the edges like you show). So I guess it really depends on the time of year. Either way, I still like your build!

Good point, which I shall keep in mind for the future. Thanks! :classic:

On 3/5/2017 at 7:16 PM, Merc4Hire said:

Most excellent vignette! I like the cold atmosphere you captured. The pathway and the tree are nicely detailed. 

Thank you, it was quite enjoyable to build.

On 3/5/2017 at 10:12 PM, The Maestro said:

Nice one John, its amazing what you have managed to fit into such a small area. The dark to light tan path is a brilliant idea and I hope to see it expanded upon. Great tree :thumbup:

Thanks Maestro, you probably will see this in a bigger build at some point :classic:

On 3/6/2017 at 3:08 PM, Legofin2012 said:

A very nice little build, the tree is particularly pretty! The path transition is a good idea, and I look forward to seeing it used on a larger scale :classic:

Thanks Legofin!

On 3/11/2017 at 8:42 AM, soccerkid6 said:

That is a lovely 30 minute build! Great use of color, and the path texture works nicely :thumbup:

Thanks Isaac :classic:

On 3/14/2017 at 11:12 PM, Grover said:

Very nice!  I like the light purple and white leaves mixed.  I think my favorite is the addition of flowers and white pieces to the light brown brush.  Great job!

Thanks, adding snow to bushes is something I like to do. :classic: