Wow, truly amazing ! :thumbup:

Personally I am more into the supercar MOC's, but from an engineering and technical functions perspective this is really one of the best and most complex models I have seen... :sweet:

wow awesome truck and very large. I have built two of your large MOCs and wow they were big. I  had to take both of them apart for parts....lots of great fun!!

First of all, thank you all guys for the nice comments! I really appreciate all of them! THANKS THANKS!!:cry_happy:

On 3/3/2017 at 6:21 PM, Aleh said:

Also it seems like you have used the new chassis? Not from your tractor or the dump truck?
And this is very nice despite of your young baby you found time for your favourite (I hope) hobby!

Yes the chassis is completely new, like I said before, I was inspired by the MOD done by Efferman to my previous Tractor Truck. I'm not able to use LDD, I have not digged in the file, but the principle was clear enough. This gives a much more robust front suspensions structure and it allowed me to built the chassis with a lower profile in the front section.

I just had to find the right compromises, for now ,it seems to work, but I doubt to be able to do more than a MOC per year.:cry_sad::laugh:

On 3/3/2017 at 6:27 PM, Myers Lego Technic said:

Bravo for the size and functions! I am quite picky with models, but I like this one! It is the bat truck #2!

Bat truck - the revenge!

On 3/3/2017 at 6:57 PM, Zero (Zblj) said:

Wow, what a massive model! It seems perform really great, but I dont like how the arm shakes when it rotates, maybe try reducing gear ratio?

Well, there are different points that could be improved, for sure you are right about that one!
I can not say that I'm completely satisfied about how it rotates, but I thought that it works good enough considering weight, dimensions, more than 360° rotation with all the hoses and pf cable in the turntable, and my patience that reached the limit!:laugh:
Jockes aside, if the problem could be a too fast rotation, could a train controller be a solution?

On 3/3/2017 at 7:11 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Monstrous! Excellent work, Lucio, the improvements (aesthetic and otherwise) from the last truck are great, and the crane arm is terrific! :thumbup: However, I do agree with Zblj that the shaking of the crane arm should be fixed. Perhaps adding roller wheels around the edge for support would help.

For sure it could be a good improvement. I thought about something like that but I had some trouble, anyway I will think if it's possible to do something.

On 3/3/2017 at 7:11 PM, brunojj1 said:

Congratulations to your new baby - and it´s huge again :wink:! Quite impressive package there inclidung all sort of mechanics :thumbup::thumbup:. The pneumatics have their advantages like lifting power and disadvantages like the shooting boom extension though.. 

I'm trying to spread Ideas for the TC11 contest!:laugh:

On 3/3/2017 at 7:17 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Lately there has been quite a few great smaller builds,  and in my opinion that is great. But never count out huge builds, and none so great as yours.  Just  based on sheer numbers, large builds can be difficult because they take so many parts.  Congrats on mastering a new approach as well!  I similarly, for the first time, built something digitally before actually building in bricks.

Personally, I proceeded by steps building it with bricks as I proceeded with the digital version. I'm not yet able to build it completely digitally and then in Bricks, at least not a so huge MOC.

About parts count, I have not checked, but I guess that at least 2000 parts of the 8000 are pins.:grin:

On 3/3/2017 at 8:49 PM, Blakbird said:

You've created a real dilemma for me here.  I already own your dump truck, and it would be totally unreasonable to own both (even for me).  So now I need to decide whether or not to teat apart my dump truck and build this.  If it was basically just the same truck with a crane instead of a bed, I think I would stick with the dump truck.  But you've changed and improved so many things that it really is a totally different truck.  I have some thinking to do.

Your crane came out really well.  I like how smoothly it is integrated into the model, and I like that you can see the position of all the pneumatic switches behind the cab.  The suspended cab is inspired, and are the suspended seats.  I wish I could shrink myself down and drive around in this truck.

Well Eric, time passes, it is time to move on!:laugh:

Don't take me in the wrong way, but I'm glad to have generated this dilemma.:grin:
Soon you will have news!

It's necessary to see how the valves are working to have enough control of the pneumatic functions...and to avoid damages. Seems that my valves are too hard for a 24T gear with friction.

On 4/3/2017 at 8:44 AM, Didumos69 said:

Wow, this is tremendous, in size, looks and in functions! I'm also impressed by the fact that you built this all by yourself without gathering feedback - at least not from the community - along the way. I would not be able to that. Hats off!

Well, to be fair there are a couple of person of the community that knows about this project and give me (one way or in another) some helps. But I think that this last MOC is in part the result of the experience gained in this years reading EB, so, in some way the community is involved.

Anyway I saw your last MOC, it's true that you received ideas and feedback, but if I were you, I'd be a little more optimistic!:wink:

Edited by Lucio Switch
correction

On 4/3/2017 at 9:16 AM, Dafgek81 said:

There are only two and only two things I think are wrong on this truck. The first is that the crane only extends one time, would be better if it where more. The second is why so big?? And so many parts? You raised the bar so high it's almost impossible for me to get enough parts to build it, but I want it!!!! It is awesome, great, beautiful, the eighth wonder of the world!!!!

Well, you have to consider the weight that a 3 stage boom will have, moreover it should be esthetically enjoyable, so no thin 3rd stage or bulky assembly. I'm not saying that it's not possible, simply I'm not able.

Why so big?...good question...I don't know, simply I like big things. I always liked them.
One of my side hobby is static modellism. I just build a couple of things but some of the largest thing that you can buy, the CVN-65 Enterprise in scale 1:350 (1 meter long) and the space schuttle in 1:144 with all the launch platform (60cm height) and I'm in the way to build an F 14 A in 1:48 scale (the 1:32 was too expensive).
The day that I could buy a place big enough to work on cars for hobby I shall leave Lego (probably I will die with a Lego brick in my hand)

On 4/3/2017 at 9:49 AM, WvG_853 said:

Wow! Impressed as always with your creations and I hope to build this one day.

Question: Have you considered changing the back of the cabine from red to white. I'm not an expert on trucks, but I think esthetically it would give a bit more of width to the truck cabine.

Honestly no, I'm fine with the proportions. I built it a bit narrowed compared to the tractor truck, despite the same scale, for choice

On 4/3/2017 at 0:31 PM, Kmuffin said:

One word  WOW!!!

And what's those 40th anniversary bricks doing there

I'm glad that someone noticed them.
Well, it's the 40th anniversary, so I though that it was the better way for me to celebrate it!:classic:

22 hours ago, TheItalianBrick said:

My crane is in a smaller scale indeed. Lucio knows what he is doing, although I would say he can easily improve his crane by adding one more extension and the JIB t it. Nonetheless great model Lucio. 

Here some ref: http://bricksafe.com/pages/TheItalianBrick/fassi-f1950-xp

Maybe you can do it easily, me not for sure!:laugh:

I have difficulty to figure out how it could be possible considering the weight that should be added and the momentum that it will generate. But I would be very happy to be proven wrong.

3 hours ago, Lucio Switch said:

Well, you have to consider the weight that a 3 stage boom will have, moreover it should be esthetically enjoyable, so no thin 3rd stage or bulky assembly. I'm not saying that it's not possible, simply I'm not able

I have difficulty to figure out how it could be possible considering the weight that should be added and the momentum that it will generate. But I would be very happy to be proven wrong.

I smell a nice challenge for TheItalianBrick. And yes, I spotted the 40th anniversary brick to, but failed to mention it, nice touch!!

Edited by Dafgek81

19 hours ago, Lucio Switch said:

Lucio I'm sure you can!  Put things this way: with a 5X5 section I was able to create a 3 stage boom! Yours is a 7X5? There is lot of room for a 3rd stage boom plus a JIB with 1-2 stages! The problem is the weight! It will be very heavy and that's when you'll probably need LA instead of Pneumatics.  

I've started working on mine again so hopefully soon will be able to show my crane

Beautiful! This thin is brilliant. At some point, will a render of all the functions be available - I for one would love to see how it all worked. Many thanks, Jim

3 hours ago, TheItalianBrick said:

Lucio I'm sure you can!  Put things this way: with a 5X5 section I was able to create a 3 stage boom! Yours is a 7X5? There is lot of room for a 3rd stage boom plus a JIB with 1-2 stages! The problem is the weight! It will be very heavy and that's when you'll probably need LA instead of Pneumatics.  

I've started working on mine again so hopefully soon will be able to show my crane

I know that's possible but there is to consider the proportion to this scale, I mean, a single beam thick stage would appear a bit creepy, and ingreesing the waight all the structure need to be more sturdy.

I don't think that an LA can have more power than a pneumatic cylinder, moreover to do that (ignoring the fact that all the pneumatic system will loose sense) you need the room for all the axles and gears needed for the movements... again, I'm not saying that it's impossible, simply that I don't find it so easy, indeed quite the opposite.:grin:

I'm glad that you started again to work on your crane, I really curious to see it in action.

1 hour ago, Technic Jim said:

Beautiful! This thin is brilliant. At some point, will a render of all the functions be available - I for one would love to see how it all worked. Many thanks, Jim

Yes it will be...at at least is what I believe!:laugh:

A very clever build. The crane arm is the main feature and it's done very well indeed. Your video is great and a good use of pneumatics.

H

Woooowww, Lucio.

Now I know what to do with 9 from 11 my M-motors. :grin::thumbup:

Edited by ifilin

Hi guys,

for whom that is interested, here is a video showing a bit more in depth this Moc.
I hope it can answer some of your questions.

Hi guys!

Finally, after a lot of work, the building instructions are ready!
Check the link:

http://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-8800/Lucioswitch81/crane-truck/#comments

As always a big thanks to Blakbird for the renders and a bigger one to Theo van Vroenhoven for all the effort he put in to test this BI.

P.S. is possible to build it in an alternative colours:
https://goo.gl/photos/gD5Q68P6xeC9m6Cd7

Edited by Lucio Switch

Lucio Switch

Wow wow! Congratulations with completing BI to your another great model! I wonder how much will cost for evryone to buy the necessary parts...
Hope till August I will represent my Lonestar truck in such scale... :look:

How much how much parts does it consist of???:grin:

Have 95,3 percent.

Rats, how did I miss that video?! What a terrific build - and everything looks so solid, too. Love every bit of it.

It was a real pleasure to test build this model!
Lucio keeps pushing the limits with models over 8000 parts!
The BI are spread over 14 (!) booklets, more than 500 pages in total.

As usual with these big models the complexity is in all the wiring and pneumatic hoses.
it is very important to test a lot 'along the way'  before assemblies are 'closed' and wiring/hoses becomes difficult to reach.

I built the crane in yellow and the cab in red.
Looks like a SuperSized 8258!

UWMvYV5SAbjCYy257fYhbilC3RzhzJt0cB_zlxfG

Edited by Theo van Vroenhoven

2 hours ago, Theo van Vroenhoven said:

I built the crane in yellow and the cab in red.

Looks like a SuperSized 8258!

So that was the huge truck sitting on the desk in your "man cave":grin: 

1 hour ago, Theo van Vroenhoven said:

Finally somebody notices it! 

Me noticed, but I was confused because at that moment BI to this truck didn't exist :look:

Congrats Lucio for another amazing model and instructions

If I am not mistaken,  @Jimpromised a Pro tag after you finished your last MOC :tongue:

Anyway TO ME you deserve it,  let's wait to moderator's verdict :blush:

@Lucio Switch in one word: amazing. I wouldn't even dream of building in this large scale, how did you get it all so rigid yet goodlooking and true to reallife. A masterpiece and a league of its own I think.

43 minutes ago, Jonfensu said:

If I am not mistaken,  @Jimpromised a Pro tag after you finished your last MOC :tongue:

I meant if he would build something cool again. Not some mediocre truck without functions :tongue:

I have watched the video from the start till the end. Impressive! I love the suspended cabin. Nicely done :thumbup:
(o, and seems you did get the Pro Tag after all)

23 hours ago, Aleh said:

Lucio Switch

Wow wow! Congratulations with completing BI to your another great model! I wonder how much will cost for evryone to buy the necessary parts...
Hope till August I will represent my Lonestar truck in such scale... :look:

How much how much parts does it consist of???:grin:

Have 95,3 percent.

Thanks! According to Bricklink the cost is around 2000€, without SBrick and hoses. But I build using most of what I already have in my boxes (I try to buy less parts as possible, only if I don't find good solutions). So someone with a good collections could have most of the parts needed. In facts even you have a huge quote of the parts needed.

Good luck with the Lonestar! It's not easy at all to reproduce it's shape!

17 hours ago, Jonfensu said:

Congrats Lucio for another amazing model and instructions

Anyway TO ME you deserve it,  let's wait to moderator's verdict :blush:

What a memory! I envy you!:laugh:
Thanks for the reminder...seems that it worked

16 hours ago, Jim said:

I meant if he would build something cool again. Not some mediocre truck without functions :tongue:

I have watched the video from the start till the end. Impressive! I love the suspended cabin. Nicely done :thumbup:
(o, and seems you did get the Pro Tag after all)

Thanks Jim! I really appreciate! Now I have to think about what I have to do to achive the pneumatic tag!:laugh:

17 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

@Lucio Switch in one word: amazing. I wouldn't even dream of building in this large scale, how did you get it all so rigid yet goodlooking and true to reallife. A masterpiece and a league of its own I think.

About the good looking I can't answer you...I try to do my best. About the rigidity...an disproportionate quantity of pins and beams....if I remember well, of 8200+ parts, 3300 are pins.

16 hours ago, LvdH said:

One of the best trucks ever.... :wub: Didn't Blakbird review this one? I have seen this one before.

Nope, Blakbird reviewed the previous one, the Dump Truck. This has a similar (aestetically) cab, but all the rest is different....I start to think that this is the reason why this Moc has gone a little unnoticed...relatively!:wink:

Edited by Lucio Switch