Hi to everybody!

I'm here to present my new Moc. I started building this crane truck about 6 months ago with the main idea of solving the problems related to a failed attempt of a crane for my previous truck.

33099008941_25ba61fca9_c.jpgIMG_1608 by Lucio Switch, su Flickr

Starting from the cab...despite the undeniable resemblance to the cab of the dump truck (with a bit of the tractor truck), it has slightly different dimensions, and the add of some new details/functions, forced me to revise it completely. In fact, in addition to the "standard" opening doors, this time, as on real trucks, the cab is suspended, while maintaining the tilting function and the working steering wheel and the front grid is openable. Moreover the seats are pneumatically suspended via 2 (1+1) 1x5 pneumatic cylinders.

The chassis has the tractions on the 2 last axles, they are driven by 4 XL Motors and uses 2 Servo Motors to steering the first two axles (with different turning radius). The first two axles use independent suspensions. In this case I was inspired by the Mod of the chassis of my Tractor Truck done by Efferman ... that has a perfect shape for a fake v8. On the back there are 2 live axles (with a total of 24 hard shock absorbers). Between the first two axles there are two small pneumatic pumps moved by two L Motors. In addition to that, on the chassis are present 2 Li-Po Battery, 5 Leds for lights and 2 SBricks.

Behind the cabin there is the base of the crane, it contains the front stabilizers, extendable via a M motor (connected to one SBrick), 6 pneumatic valves, moved by an M motor each, 4 IR receivers to control the 6 valves motors plus 2 other M motors, one to rotate the crane and one for the winch. The 4 receivers take power from a port of an SBrick.

Finally the crane ... well, the classic design of this type of crane with the upper arm offset (as on 8258 for instance) built on this scale, gave me big problems twisting the whole structure ... and a lot of headaches. One day I came across by chance in a truck with a Cormach crane, it presented a unique design that would solve the twist problem. So inspiring to this design, I have developed my crane, which consists of a telescopic upper arm (extension via 2x 1x11 pneumatic cylinders) supported by two side arms moved by 2+1 2x11 pneumatic cylinder each. It isn't able to lift heavy loads, but it works and, considering the masses involved, I'm fine with that.

Now some numbers:

Length: 86,4cm 108studs

Width: 24,8cm 31studs, 28cm 35studs with mirrors

Height: 39,2cm 49studs

Weight: 8.6 kg

Total number of parts: 8000

PF elements:

M motor: 9

L Motor: 2

XL Motor: 4

Servo Motor: 2

PF LED: 5

Lipo Battery: 2

..and a couple of wire extensions

Pneumatic Elements:

Small pumps: 2

1x5 Cylinder: 2

Medium Cylinder old: 4

Medium Cylinder new: 2

1x11 Cylinder: 2

2x11 Cylinder: 6

Valve: 6

..and several meters of pipes.

For more pictures check my Flickr Album:

Crane Truck Flickr Album

And this is the video:

To conclude, I would say that, in some way it was a new and interesting experience for me. Due to circumstances beyond our control, I was forced to transfer my Lego room in the basement, comfortable although perhaps a bit rustic but not directly connected with my apartment. This, coupled with the fact that my free time has been drastically reduced, has led me to review my usual workflow. So this is my first model built before digitally and then physically. This way allowed me to use better my free time and to select and pick up only the needed parts to build, reducing drastically the mess in the living room. Also part of the work for the BI is already done, I'll done them for sure, but I don't have idea when they will be ready. I'm afraid that it will be a huge job!

I hope you like it!

This is a truly amazing and huge model, so many cool functions and details, the suspended cabin and the adjustable seats are a nice touch too, i am pretty impressed of how good and realistic it looks and works, i think that this model could be in the Hall Of Fame soon, nice work Lucio.

This is enormous! Like your new functions such as pneumatic seats and the front bonnet!
Also it seems like you have used the new chassis? Not from your tractor or the dump truck?
And this is very nice despite of your young baby you found time for your favourite (I hope) hobby!

Edited by Aleh

Wow, what a massive model! It seems perform really great, but I dont like how the arm shakes when it rotates, maybe try reducing gear ratio?

Oh my goodness. Yes! The crane was what I was missing with your dump truck. I'm glad the crane has been added, and the styling is stunning from the cab to the wheel arches. Great job again.

Monstrous! Excellent work, Lucio, the improvements (aesthetic and otherwise) from the last truck are great, and the crane arm is terrific! :thumbup: However, I do agree with Zblj that the shaking of the crane arm should be fixed. Perhaps adding roller wheels around the edge for support would help.

Congratulations to your new baby - and it´s huge again :wink:! Quite impressive package there inclidung all sort of mechanics :thumbup::thumbup:. The pneumatics have their advantages like lifting power and disadvantages like the shooting boom extension though.. 

Lately there has been quite a few great smaller builds,  and in my opinion that is great. But never count out huge builds, and none so great as yours.  Just  based on sheer numbers, large builds can be difficult because they take so many parts.  Congrats on mastering a new approach as well!  I similarly, for the first time, built something digitally before actually building in bricks.

Love that you kept the "bat" grille:laugh: 

The crane was really missing on the dump truck , now it looks amazing

3 hours ago, Lucio Switch said:

Finally the crane ... well, the classic design of this type of crane with the upper arm offset (as on 8258 for instance) built on this scale, gave me big problems twisting the whole structure ... and a lot of headaches. One day I came across by chance in a truck with a Cormach crane, it presented a unique design that would solve the twist problem. So inspiring to this design, I have developed my crane, which consists of a telescopic upper arm (extension via 2x 1x11 pneumatic cylinders) supported by two side arms moved by 2+1 2x11 pneumatic cylinder each. It isn't able to lift heavy loads, but it works and, considering the masses involved, I'm fine with that.

This type of crane is called a knuckleboom crane for fairly obvious reasons.  It curves back on itself like a finger.

Knuckle-Boom-Truck-Mounted-Crane-SQ6-3ZA

Although these cranes are very space efficient, you have identified their structural weakness.  Because one of the arms is in a different plane than the other, this offset causes a twisting of the main boom and a lot of bending on the rotation axle.  This is the inherent weakness of a single shear joint.  You've found a rare double shear variant that still folds up.  I like it!

500px-Bolt-in-shear.svg.png

3 hours ago, Lucio Switch said:

To conclude, I would say that, in some way it was a new and interesting experience for me. Due to circumstances beyond our control, I was forced to transfer my Lego room in the basement, comfortable although perhaps a bit rustic but not directly connected with my apartment. This, coupled with the fact that my free time has been drastically reduced, has led me to review my usual workflow. So this is my first model built before digitally and then physically. This way allowed me to use better my free time and to select and pick up only the needed parts to build, reducing drastically the mess in the living room. Also part of the work for the BI is already done, I'll done them for sure, but I don't have idea when they will be ready. I'm afraid that it will be a huge job!

You've created a real dilemma for me here.  I already own your dump truck, and it would be totally unreasonable to own both (even for me).  So now I need to decide whether or not to teat apart my dump truck and build this.  If it was basically just the same truck with a crane instead of a bed, I think I would stick with the dump truck.  But you've changed and improved so many things that it really is a totally different truck.  I have some thinking to do.

Your crane came out really well.  I like how smoothly it is integrated into the model, and I like that you can see the position of all the pneumatic switches behind the cab.  The suspended cab is inspired, and are the suspended seats.  I wish I could shrink myself down and drive around in this truck.

Oh my goodness Lucio, when I thought I've seen it all, here you go again, building a truck that is even more beautiful than the dumptruck I can only hope to build some day.

You even lifted bar bar higher. I can only begg for instructions, otherwise I'm just speachless.

Bellissimo! Can't add more to what others have said already, and would love to see the instructions. Even if probably 8000 pieces will be out of my budget at the moment, but would be amazing to build and play I'm sure.

Luca

Wow, this is tremendous, in size, looks and in functions! I'm also impressed by the fact that you built this all by yourself without gathering feedback - at least not from the community - along the way. I would not be able to that. Hats off!

Edited by Didumos69

There are only two and only two things I think are wrong on this truck. The first is that the crane only extends one time, would be better if it where more. The second is why so big?? And so many parts? You raised the bar so high it's almost impossible for me to get enough parts to build it, but I want it!!!! It is awesome, great, beautiful, the eighth wonder of the world!!!!

Hi Lucio,

The Italian brick made a Cormach crane in 2015, would this one fit this truck to? That one extends multiple times and has a fourth arm section also. It is not as sleekly build as yours, but I love all the moving sections. He says it works fine also, but haven't seen finished versions since.

Wow! Impressed as always with your creations and I hope to build this one day.

Question: Have you considered changing the back of the cabine from red to white. I'm not an expert on trucks, but I think esthetically it would give a bit more of width to the truck cabine.

Edited by WvG_853
Word cabine was missing

One word  WOW!!!

And what's those 40th anniversary bricks doing there

Edited by Kmuffin

4 hours ago, Dafgek81 said:

There are only two and only two things I think are wrong on this truck. The first is that the crane only extends one time, would be better if it where more. The second is why so big?? And so many parts? You raised the bar so high it's almost impossible for me to get enough parts to build it, but I want it!!!! It is awesome, great, beautiful, the eighth wonder of the world!!!!

Hi Lucio,

The Italian brick made a Cormach crane in 2015, would this one fit this truck to? That one extends multiple times and has a fourth arm section also. It is not as sleekly build as yours, but I love all the moving sections. He says it works fine also, but haven't seen finished versions since.

My crane is in a smaller scale indeed. Lucio knows what he is doing, although I would say he can easily improve his crane by adding one more extension and the JIB t it. Nonetheless great model Lucio. 

Here some ref: http://bricksafe.com/pages/TheItalianBrick/fassi-f1950-xp

Edited by TheItalianBrick

Indeed a marvelous truck and crane, I couldn't build one from scratch like this, so I won't bash it, I only pointed out that the crane would be even more beautiful with additions like on your crane TheItalianBrick