Review: 41588 The Joker

How do you rate 41588 The Joker  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate 41588 The Joker?

• Worse than barefoot 2008 "The Batman" Joker
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Better than Hamill and Ledger, maybe Romero...

33039939442_04b38a8b28_c.jpg

BrickHeadz is an exciting new Lego theme that depicts our favorite characters from movies, TV shows, games, and comics into fun and stylized collectible forms.  Each set contains a brick built figure with a build-able base, that includes a printed tile piece denoting the figure's wave number. Wave one consists of twelve unique and colorful characters based on The Lego Batman Movie, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Disney's Beauty and the Beast and Pirates of the Caribbean. BrickHeadz is an exclusive theme from Lego, which means that you can only find the BrickHeadz sets at Lego brand retail stores and online from Lego Shop.

Before I begin this review, I would like to give my sincerest thanks to The LEGO Group (TLG) who have provided this set, and other wave one BrickHeadz sets, to Eurobricks making this review possible. The opinions expressed in this review are my own. 

Introduction 

The Joker. Like Batman, it's almost expected that he would be included in the first wave of BrickHeadz, at least considering The Lego Batman Movie sub-theme going on. While some people might not like the over the top style of this character in the Lego film specifically, he does translate particularly well to the BrickHeadz form. And at the same time, he manages to provide one of the most engaging building experiences of all the BrickHeadz. So let's find out why by reading on... 

Set Stats

Name: 41588 The Joker
Theme:  Licensed / BrickHeadz
Year: 2017
Pieces: 151
Minifigs: N/A
Price: USD $9.99, CA $12.99, DE 9.99€, UK £9.99
Resources: Brickset, BricklinkLego Shop

Packaging 

All BrickHeadz sets come in the same size box (3.6 x 4.8 x 3.1) and 41588 The Joker is no exception. The box features both a large image of the BrickHeadz figure itself (as well as the theme's logo) and an image of its source materialin this case a particularity maniacal laughing Joker. In this regard, I do wonder if the use of the crazy face Joker minifigure is appropriate, considering the BrickHeadz built after him is somewhat less expressive in the facial department. Still, the inclusion of such a comparison picture is welcomed. 

33196298425_434fffbea5_c.jpg

As with all the other BrickHeadz boxes, this one also comes with a reverse side showing the sub-theme group and that horrendous black wall of text (which I describe in depth in my 41585 Batman review). The box contains one instruction booklet, two bags (one big, one small), as well as a loose 4x6 black plate for the base. 

Interesting Parts 

Of the four Lego Batman Movie characters depicted by BrickHeadz, 41588 The Joker has the most printed pieces. These include two standardized eyes, his lips on a white 1x4 tile, and the two separate bricks that make up the front of his torso—all of which are all printed with great detail. Particularly his tie on the 1x2 brick which like the Joker minifigure in the Lowrider set, is dotted with cute tiny green skulls. 

33216480295_86066dc782_z.jpg

Like all BrickHeadz, Joker also comes with numerous—as in fourteen—1x2x2 modified bricks in Light Bley. He also comes with ten green quarter melon tiles, various Dark Purple pieces such as 1x1 bricks, and even two Light Bright Blue 1x1 plates. All in all 41588 The Joker is a good haul, particularly in the green slope brick department which may make this figure tempting to part out. 

Build

The Joker is internally comprised of almost entirely modified stud bricks. Still, the designers had the insight to include a well placed pink 2x2 brick, which is hilarious. 41588 The Joker is the most complicated build of the Lego Batman Movie BrickHeadz, although some of that is due to building in mirror form, repeating various shapes and curves with the bricks over and over. Unlike say Batman, you cannot simply skip steps and start building at a fast pace. The Joker demands attention! 

33041416192_c183e3afdc_z.jpg33156187456_8af22d752e.jpg

After you complete the figure, you then build the standard BrickHeadz base, which is comprised of only four pieces but looks wonderful nonetheless. 

Completed Figure

The most immediate and noticeable thing about the Joker BrickHeadz is his massive flowing green hair. Joker’s hair makes up the bulk of the figure's brick count—which at 151 pieces is the most part heavy BrickHeadz character in this first wave. In comparison to his dark nemesis Batman, Joker has a whopping 60 more pieces at the same price point. Considering the relative small size of BrickHeadz sets, that’s nothing to scoff at. But while the hair is indeed nice,other aspects of this figure shouldn't be overlooked. The use of 1x1 plates in Light Bight Blue for eye shadow is inspired; they really sell the clown appearance. Well that and the lipstick.

32833868760_103d9e25c7_z.jpg    32401722433_e0ba01859f_z.jpg32833869910_b15c63be18_z.jpg

Now if there are any downsides, it may have to be the uncharacteristic lack of accessories. Considering all the tools and toys the Joker uses, it’s rather a shame that nothing was included for him to hold. But really it’s the black 4x4 hip plate that stands out to me as strange. Why is that not purple? It seems too low to be a belt, and it really just looks off. Considering Joker already uses that piece in purple, I do find it weird that it was not used here as well.

There is also the matter of weight distribution. While Batman and Robin are not necessarily affected by this, Batgirl and especially Joker are. Due to the huge amount of parts used for Joker's hair and the fact that the figure's base is not centered, the Joker has a tendency to fall over backwards. Considering BrickHeadz are more for display than play it shouldn't be too much of an issue, assuming your shelves are level that is. 

Conclusion 

With the wind flowing through his hair, 41588 The Joker is flying by the competition. The level of detail in the hair alone makes this figure collectible and I'm sure many people will buy him in tandem with Batman. 

Score 

• Design: 5/5 - The Joker has translated very well from minifigure to BrickHeadz. His hair piece in particular turned out well when scaled up with bricks.   
  • Parts: 5/5 - The substantial number of green melon tiles, slopes, and purple pieces are very useful outside of the figure. 
  • Build: 5/5 - Again, the hair is very well done, and its flowing appearance is very appealing. Compared to other figures, the build is interesting, if repetitive.   
  • Value for Price: 5/5 - The Joker has the most pieces out of the first BrickHeadz wave while retaining the same low price point. Good value  

Overall: (20/20)      A

33174980946_6440f199b3_z.jpg

Eurobricks BrickHeadz Reviews:

41585 Batman, 41586 Batgirl, 41587 Robin, 41588 The Joker,  41595 Belle, 41596 Beast41589 Captain America, 41590 Iron Man, 41591 Black Widow, 41592 The Hulk

hahah the last picture is everything

I think this one is my favorite BrickHead so far

The printed titles are amazing, but the purple ones could have been more detailed. 

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

hahah the last picture is everything

I think this one is my favorite BrickHead so far

The printed titles are amazing, but the purple ones could have been more detailed. 

I think I'm fine with the purple bricks' detailing, but I do suppose when placed next to the minifigure he certainly looses some of his pizzazz. But the amount of detail does seem to be in line with the rest of the BrickHeadz. :thumbup: