Sign in to follow this  
Takeshi Miranda

Is it possible to build a Mindstorms hybrid or clone from Classic bricks?

Hello, World!

Over the past seven (7) years, I had hand-built about four dozen microcontroller development boards (like what is used for the "programmable brick"), like "Arduino", but I have expanded way beyond Arduino.

LEGO Classic Large Brick Box (10698)

Using my LEGO Classic elements, purchased in January 2017, is it possible to add mechanisms to make my MOCs "animated"? I am still a newbie at LEGO and I don't know where to search for my answer. My previous Google searches gave the outcomes focused on train projects. I did see some stuff at Lego.com that might work, but I have no real clue if that's what I'm looking for. Because I could not find what I'm looking for, I'm guessing that LEGO is purposely discouraging my MOC idea to promote the EV3.

I'm not planning on building complex MOCs, such as a walking robot, however, I would like to build something with 5VDC stepper motors and the needed gears, such as a robotic arm with calipers. I may only need the "accessories" as I can purchase the stepper motors, locally. What I've seen online, are stepper motors already attached to accessories.

Though I can build what I want without using any LEGO elements, I just know to know if it is possible to use my LEGO Classic elements in a way to act like a Mindstorms product.

Linux Development

By the way, I am GNU/Linux developer with almost 20 years of GNU/Linux experiences and almost 28 of programming in C. I am just wondering, if my own technical skills can be used to invent unique LEGO MOCs that are animated under a GNU/Linux environment. I desperate need inspiration to build MOCs, too!

Thanks for Reading!

By now, after reading my posts, one could probably guess that I want to build my own, specialized MOCs, which is true! I'm one that is not gifted with money and I do know LEGO products are expensive, so in the event I do buy another LEGO product, I want it to be a "main ingredient" to my MOC projects. Thanks for Reading and Have a Nice Day!

One cheaper alternative to MIndstorms is to use Raspberry Pi + Arduino. Granted, you do not have all the fancy bricks to build all the mechanical contraptions afforded by Lego, but if you're after using sensors, and motors, then that is your best bet.

Sure you can.  If you are going to use your own motors and controllers and just want to use LEGO for the structure and mechanisms, then you can buy pretty much any Technic set from the last 40 years and use it for parts.