Robert8

Third 2016 LEGO Ideas Review - Guessing Game

Third 2016 LEGO Ideas Review - Guessing Game  

61 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Which one do you think will be the next LEGO Ideas set to get approved?

• Boat Repair Shop
    • Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The Bus LEGO set
    • Hulkbuster UCS
    • LEGO Store Modular Version
    • Red Dwarf LEGO
    • Landrover 4x4
    • Volkswagen Golf MK1 GTI
    • Vintage Tram
    • 1950's diner
    • Ship in a Bottle. The Flagship Leviathan
    • UCS Rey's Speeder
    • The Iron Giant
    • None
    • Voltron - Defender of the Universe

49 minutes ago, legonerd54321 said:

Does anybody know what time area we're suppose to get the results?

From the blog: "We’ll share results of the Third 2016 LEGO review period in the summer of 2017."

I wouldn't expect them to announce the results for this review until after they've posted the final 10K Club interview they're doing with each creator of a project in this batch. This week they posted the second of the twelve, so we have another ten weeks of interviews to go; the results should then be announced sometime after that (so, early June at the earliest, which nicely fits the more general "summer" time).

Edited by Blondie-Wan
Removal of superfluous parenthese

Well, now we know that Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The Bus LEGO set, Hulkbuster UCS and UCS Rey's Speeder are pretty much doomed :jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger:

5 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Well, now we know that Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The Bus LEGO set, Hulkbuster UCS and UCS Rey's Speeder are pretty much doomed :jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger::jollyroger:

We already knew that! But with the announcement, (which only affects new submissions,) it is even more obvious that TLG is not very likely to approve existing Ideas like those.

Also, I still can't change my vote

On 06/04/2017 at 6:30 AM, Robert8 said:

I don't see how The Bus set is doomed. If it isn't approved, I don't give a **** about LEGO Ideas anymore.

55 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I don't see how The Bus set is doomed. If it isn't approved, I don't give a **** about LEGO Ideas anymore.

You just are stubborn aren't you...

10 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I don't see how The Bus set is doomed.

The writing on the wall is pretty obvious with this one: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/136

Considering we got Coulson and Lola in a set recently, my bet if Lego wants to make more SHIELD stuff it will be bundled together with other Marvel characters and sets and not in its own individual massive set.

I'm hoping for the Voltron project because it was recognized by World Events Productions, the company which adapted Beast King GoLion into Voltron: Defender of the Universe. I hope it passes the review!

I put Voltron because I think it legitimately has a chance, as long as there aren't any legal issues with licensing--it sounds like the creators are a go for it, but they may not be able to, since there are different iterations of the show that are licensed by different entities.

Because of that I said no to Iron Giant. If Voltron doesn't pass, then IG has a shot, but there's no way they'll both get passed in the same review like this.

Vintage Tram and Ship in a Bottle don't present any licensing issues, and they also are unlike anything TLG has out right now or in the near future (as far as we know).

I don't know if I'd buy any of them, but who knows. I'm not opposed to any at the outset, but it will depend a lot on the final product, price, and availability.

I voted for the 1950's Diner, which seem not too small, not too large, for an ideal project, along with the fact that Lego would not have to grapple with licensing.

Modulars are quite popular on Ideas, as far as non-licensed projects go, and The Old Fishing Store is a good example of a modular-esq set that does not resemble the Creator Expert modulars, something Lego I think looks for that this project has.

My second choice would be the Vintage Tram, for the same licensing reason, but it seems too small alone as a set. I'm really surprised we haven't seen more successful train projects on Ideas.

On 3/28/2017 at 10:23 PM, JGuy said:

From the blog: "We’ll share results of the Third 2016 LEGO review period in the summer of 2017."

So perhaps June 1st at the earliest.

23 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

I put Voltron because I think it legitimately has a chance, as long as there aren't any legal issues with licensing--it sounds like the creators are a go for it, but they may not be able to, since there are different iterations of the show that are licensed by different entities.

Because of that I said no to Iron Giant. If Voltron doesn't pass, then IG has a shot, but there's no way they'll both get passed in the same review like this.

Vintage Tram and Ship in a Bottle don't present any licensing issues, and they also are unlike anything TLG has out right now or in the near future (as far as we know).

I don't know if I'd buy any of them, but who knows. I'm not opposed to any at the outset, but it will depend a lot on the final product, price, and availability.

Well The Iron Giant would certainly be easy licensing wise, since it is a WB property, though its 2000+ part count would possibly be a determent, maybe. :def_shrug:

I like The Iron Giant over Voltron, since I like its retro sci-fi/futuristic style. The project could have been cool if it was done in chibi/minifigure style proportions, giving it a Lego touch. Perhaps that would have helped also with the piece count.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, rodiziorobs said:

Well, this Voltron project is based on the original 1984 version, so there is hope it could pass!

On 5/25/2017 at 10:10 AM, rodiziorobs said:

Voltron is 100% WEP except for the latest Drwamworks/Netflix show. In that case Dreamworks can extend a sublicense, but AwEP is still controlling IP holder. No other entities involved. Not even Toei anymore. The problem is Voltron as a license suddenly went hot, and is likely expensive now. Plus the fact that the project is extremely large might preclude it. (Although it might not. Bandai currently can't keep the $300 Soul of Chogokin GX-71 Voltron stocked on store shelves, they sell out so fast. The robot released in January is already commanding 2-3x list price aftermarket.) 

Voltron should be the next selection.  There are others with mass appeal, but Voltron is an easy win in my opinion.

I voted vintage tram because (1) Lego hasn't excepted a train related project yet, meaning it's new to Ideas. (2) It's a reasonable size. (3) It has a good chance of being excepted. (4) I love all things Lego train related!

I picked the Boat Repair Shop because it isn't like anything Lego has made already, and it also should appeal to lots of people. 

But I would like the Red Dwarf set :sweet: (also I have heard rumors of Red Dwarf coming to Dimensions, so it could be picked...)   

Edited by mocbuild101

32 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

I picked the Boat Repair Shop because it isn't like anything Lego has made already, and it also should appeal to lots of people. 

But I would like the Red Dwarf set :sweet: (also I have heard rumors of Red Dwarf coming to Dimensions, so it could be picked...)   

The problem is, its too similar to the upcoming Old Fishing Store, and this project and a few climbing to the 10K mark are sort of successors to it.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The problem is, its too similar to the upcoming Old Fishing Store, and this project and a few climbing to the 10K mark are sort of successors to it.

Oh, I forgot about that. So maybe Red Dwarf will be picked...

I don't suppose there's any way to change the poll so you can choose more than one, is there? I mean, there is precedent for two submissions passing in the same review period. Maybe I'm just too indecisive. :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Tragic Banjo

5 minutes ago, Tragic Banjo said:

I don't suppose there's any way to change the poll so you can choose more than one, is there? I mean, there is precedent for two submissions passing in the same review period. Maybe I'm just too indecisive. :shrug_oh_well:

I feel like this means something. :classic:

34 minutes ago, Tragic Banjo said:

You can vote for as many as you want. I picked 2. But if you've already voted you can't change your vote, sadly. So if (like me, and others) you voted before Voltron was included in the poll, you can't add a +1 for that.

I would think that Voltron will get chosen if the licensing can work.  In addition to that, the Vintage Tram and possibly the diner has a really good shot.  Have we ever had three selected in a round?  

16 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I would think that Voltron will get chosen if the licensing can work.  In addition to that, the Vintage Tram and possibly the diner has a really good shot.  Have we ever had three selected in a round?  

We haven't had three selected at the same time, but we have had three selected from a single review batch.

Birds, The Big Bang Theory, and Doctor Who all came from the same batch; the first two were chosen right off, while the Doctor Who project was held over for further review (along with a similar Doctor Who project), and ultimately accepted in the following review (alongside the following batch's WALL•E).

If we had the three projects you suggest chosen, it would be kind of a reversal of the above scenario - three projects chosen at once, but only two from the same batch as each other (since the Voltron project originally came from the previous batch).

Well, all projects have been interviewed in the LEGO Ideas 10k Club. When are we supposed to hear the results? I hope Voltron is approved!