Hoth Rebel

Lego IDEAS 2017 - Women of Nasa

On 10/19/2017 at 7:39 AM, Robert8 said:

Are we sure?

Because that nebula (?) totally looks like a sticker

Now that you've said that it definitely looks like a sticker. But the trick is in details - there is grey line printed on below the picture of nebula (?) which makes think it is a sticker. 

On 10/19/2017 at 3:29 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

Wait - surely the minifigure parts are printed as well?!

Minifigures have printed parts, obviously.

Almost always, but not quite; there have in fact been stickered minifigures, though AFAIK none have been produced in the last ten years or more.

But that said, my post was really just a joke about the omission of the (obviously) printed minifigure elements in this set from the photo of printed parts.

They have completely priced Aussies out of the market on this one. It's $50 AUD plus $30 shipping plus 3% international transaction fee on most major credit cards here. $82.40 AUD is equivalent to $64 USD or £48 GBP based on current exchange rates. Yeah, that sounds fair. And yes, I know the US price doesn't include sales tax but you get the picture. :angry:

On 21/10/2017 at 6:58 PM, Dragunov2 said:

Minifigures are always printed

On 22/10/2017 at 4:27 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

Almost always, but not quite; there have in fact been stickered minifigures, though AFAIK none have been produced in the last ten years or more.

There is always an exception! This guy is three years old:

rac056.jpg?1

40194-1.jpg?1

40194stk01.jpg?1

11 hours ago, Markalus said:

They have completely priced Aussies out of the market on this one. It's $50 AUD plus $30 shipping plus 3% international transaction fee on most major credit cards here. $82.40 AUD is equivalent to $64 USD or £48 GBP based on current exchange rates. Yeah, that sounds fair. And yes, I know the US price doesn't include sales tax but you get the picture. :angry:

That is offensively outrageous. One could buy two with sales tax included here and still have money left over for a cheeseburger dinner ($24.99x2=49.98x.0925=4.6+49.98=$54.60). Really unfair. :hmpf_bad:

Considering that Research Institute was $30, $50 for NASA is rather mind-boggling. :wacko:You'd think $40 is typical TLG rudeness, and really pushing it with $45... but no

PASS

8 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Considering that Research Institute was $30, $50 for NASA is rather mind-boggling. :wacko:You'd think $40 is typical TLG rudeness, and really pushing it with $45... but no

PASS

RI was $30 for three figures, plus vignettes. So I guess they could justify $40 for this, maybe claiming printed parts costs. Then there is the "license tax". Plus the "this will sell like hot cakes anyway so we might as well screw them" theory.

I was more thinking along the lines of

RI: $20 USD and $30 AUD (150%)
NASA: $25 USD, so @$37.50 AUD let's call it $40 or $45 if we feel extra evil

9 hours ago, Artanis I said:

I was more thinking along the lines of

RI: $20 USD and $30 AUD (150%)
NASA: $25 USD, so @$37.50 AUD let's call it $40 or $45 if we feel extra evil

You are right. For some reason I was remembering the RI at £25 GBP and $30 USD - must have been the secondary market price I was remembering!

RI seems pretty cheap now considering the NASA price.

On 10/21/2017 at 11:27 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

Very true. I had a few stickered minifigures from sets when I was a kid (1980's). I remember having a handful of stickered space men. I haven't seen any in a long time though. There is set 30196 from 2012. Not sure if that is part of what is pictured above.

On 25/10/2017 at 1:43 AM, Artanis I said:

PASS

Think the clue is in the NASA logo unfortunately :hmpf_bad:

20 hours ago, ACPin said:

Got mine signed today!
AC

That is awesome!!

I can't wait for this one. A few more days until they're all sold out and then another couple months wait seems like a good guess. 

8 hours ago, koalayummies said:

That is awesome!!

I can't wait for this one. A few more days until they're all sold out and then another couple months wait seems like a good guess. 

You are probably right, if history has taught us anything. I took off work on the 1st so I can travel to the closest Lego store in order to obtain one.  Especially at $25, the scalpers are going to scoop these up quickly.

Was going to try to go to the Lego website to look at a couple of ideas for my boys for Christmas, but the page will not come up at all.  I guess that means that purchasing Women of NASA is going to yield a similar experience to that of Saturn V or Millennium Falcon.  Two hours until the Lego Store opens in my time zone.  It would not surprise me to hear that people are already there waiting.  

On 10/25/2017 at 11:43 AM, Artanis I said:

PASS

It's been available on Lego S@H for 2 days now and is still in stock, which speaks to a lot of people (myself included) not willing to pay $50 + $30 shipping. I just hope it makes it to local retail stores, which opens up the possibility of a discounted price.

On 10/30/2017 at 11:08 AM, blackknightrises said:

At least there is a limit of 2 for buying these online. Not that it helps much but it is better than nothing at all.

The actual Lego stores have it limited to only 1 per customer. I had to go in later that day to pick another one up for a friend of mine.

Finally! This set is really awesome. Not only is it more fun building than it looks but its also really inspirational. I'm really glad Lego Ideas picked this one. At a time when many close-minded bitter men still didn't trust women with driving, working or the right to vote these woman shattered ceilings and made incredible scientific breakthroughs that profoundly changed our world. Love everything about this set. Favorite Ideas set to date.

24198101577_5ed42cf828_b.jpg

10 hours ago, koalayummies said:

At a time when many close-minded bitter men still didn't trust women with driving, working or the right to vote these woman shattered ceilings and made incredible scientific breakthroughs that profoundly changed our world.

At the time, it wasn't just men that were against women having careers and so on. Quite a few women were too, especially mothers of girls who had the views that they should be preparing for marriage, family and household rather than a career. It was a society problem, and not as clear cut as just bitter men vs women.