Hoth Rebel

Lego IDEAS 2017 - Women of Nasa

The Ideas sets:

wp-1483972233045.png

The winner:

Spoiler

wp-1488294184036.png

Voltron is still under review because 'a little extra time was needed'. Has this ever happened before and if so, what was the outcome? 

So the winner just got revealed. Didn't know where else to make the topic so feel free to replace it if needed. 

Edited by Kevii23
More information added

2 hours ago, dr_spock said:

There is already a discussion on this over in the Embassy forum:  http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/94814-lego-ideas-discussion/&page=92

That's a general Ideas discussion thread for the overall program. All individual Ideas sets also get their own threads.

Usually such threads are named after those sets, though.

4 hours ago, Kevii23 said:

Hide contents

Voltron is still under review because 'a little extra time was needed'. Has this ever happened before and if so, what was the outcome? 

Last time I can remember that happening was with Portal 2. That ended up part of LEGO Dimensions, but since that appears to be getting the axe after year 2 that seems unlikely (although how cool would LEGO Dimensions Voltron be?!). If anything they're either still working on the license, or might even be re-designing the set to match the Netflix Voltron: Legendary Defender series.

Edited by LegoTFGuy

Disappointed but not surprised. The research institute was extremely successful and the initial production run sold out extremely fast. Recent Ideas sets like Adventure Time haven't replicated that level of success. It also helps that one of women in the winning set was featured in the Oscar nominated film "Hidden Figures".

Edited by Arigomi

9 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

That's a general Ideas discussion thread for the overall program. All individual Ideas sets also get their own threads.

Usually such threads are named after those sets, though.

Agree. 

And I think this thread belongs to the City/licensed forum :classic:

I'm not terribly surprised by this; most of the entries would have been incredibly pricey, even if they were designed down, and a license for Spaceballs would be very hard to obtain, as one of the agreements Mel Brooks had with George Lucas to allow the "fair use" of the spoof was a lack of real-world merchandise. And at the end of the day, I'm okay with this; more female designs are always welcome with me, since they are still catching up in numbers. I have purist figs to make, after all!

As much as I wanted to see some other Ideas make it I knew this would be the one. Minifigures/Education is a huge thing for Lego and it's been a while since they've released an Ideas set under $50. With a lower price point they can sell many more (I'll probably buy two) and it's a great PR move on their part for honoring women of NASA. That alone will get a lot of free press. Not a big win for Lego fans but a huge win for Lego. Still, I would have loved a Spaceballs set but it wasn't meant to be.

First pictures of the set:

On 15/10/2017 at 9:17 AM, zux said:

Just bought a copy of Women of NASA. Not sure if this has been posted:

23858857698_66355d43d5_z.jpg

23858927148_f8282bf165_z.jpg

When I first heard of the set, I thought it was a bit pandering to political correctness. I complained about that on here. 

Then I read it was likely going to have Katherine Johnson in the set. Shortly after that I saw Hidden Figures. It was a great film. It made me reconsider my initial thoughts to this set. At the very least I was convinced Katherine Johnson deserved a Lego figure.

Then today rolls around and it is revealed "due to licensing Katherine Johnson could not be included in the set." What the actual freak Lego? What the actual freak? :sceptic: 

On the bright side, the figures will be collectible for minifigure customization... But still, no Katherine kind of stings.

Edited by xboxtravis7992
Grammar correction

I for one am bummed that the Katherine Johnson minifigure was omitted.  Maybe they'll include a future WON minifigure set that would include  Ms. Johnson and Peggy Whitson (Peggy ROCKS!)... Or even a "Pioneers of Space" that would include international figures as well. 

Yeah the Katherine Johnson omission is disappointing. But its still a cool set, the mini Shuttle and Hubble are sweet. One of the most important objects ever put into space and the shuttle that fixed it. Is the price known yet?

13 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Yeah the Katherine Johnson omission is disappointing. But its still a cool set, the mini Shuttle and Hubble are sweet. One of the most important objects ever put into space and the shuttle that fixed it. Is the price known yet?

$24.99, supposed to be available 1 November. I'll probably BL Margaret Hamilton, it looks like a good minifigure in general.

I really like how the set turned out. I wish the nebula piece was printed but it unfortunately looks like a sticker.

I'll definitely pick up at least two. I just hope that they don't screw up the production on this one like they did for the Research Institute or the Saturn V. That was incredibly awful.

4 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

$24.99, supposed to be available 1 November. I'll probably BL Margaret Hamilton, it looks like a good minifigure in general.

Sweet thanks, totally worth it. Thats one small set for women, one giant leap for Legowomankind. 

Printed parts:

37780903471_e60c79d9d6_z.jpg

I'd like to note all minifigures have two faces - one with just a little smile and other one with more joy.

4 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

I'll probably BL Margaret Hamilton, it looks like a good minifigure in general.

Yeah, that's my favourite minifigure in this set as well.

Few more pics on Flickr.

11 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

Then today rolls around and it is revealed "due to licensing Katherine Johnson could not be included in the set." What the actual freak Lego? What the actual freak? :sceptic: 

On the bright side, the figures will be collectible for minifigure customization... But still, no Katherine kind of stings.

8 hours ago, swijak said:

I for one am bummed that the Katherine Johnson minifigure was omitted.

8 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Yeah the Katherine Johnson omission is disappointing.

Word is that she declined. TLG can't include her without her permission. That is the licencing issue.

6 hours ago, zux said:

Printed parts:

Are we sure?

Because that nebula (?) totally looks like a sticker

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Are we sure?

Because that nebula (?) totally looks like a sticker

It does a bit, but when someone has the set, takes a photo of all the decorated parts, and declares that there are no stickers (as per Ideas tradition) then I think it probably is not a sticker!