Ayrlego

[Ch5A] A Lover's Tale: Part Three

(Against Mardier)

Prelude
Part 1 (Bregir)
Part 2 (Elostirion)
Part 3 (Ayrlego)

After fleeing the Grape and Goblet, the young lovers, Ricardo Alphonso de la Montague and Angelica Castellano, found themselves hiding in a closed tavern in one of the older sections of the town. Here they waited for their shadowy guardian, whose timely intervention had saved them from the Death Guard just a short time ago.

They didn’t have to wait long. Marja Fontonajo had easily evaded the death guard, who after all weren’t looking for the experienced Eslandolan agent. She silently entered the tavern without the lovers noticing. Ricardo was pacing anxiously, his hand on the hilt of his elegant rapier. Angelica sat quietly at the bar, slightly pale, but otherwise calm.

“….we don’t even know who she was… why should we trust her, we should go to my father immediately” argued Ricardo.

Angelica, however was more thoughtful. “If she meant us harm, then why would she warn us, why would she have shot that soldier?”

At this point Marja delicately cleared her throat. “I am indeed a friend Ricardo, your father asked me to look out for you, although I doubt he expected things to get quite so out of hand.”

“Who are you? Why would my father ask for your help” replied Ricardo hotly, spinning around and half drawing the rapier.

Marja ignored his aggression. “It is probably not wise you know my name” she replied, “Now listen carefully. You both need to leave Terraversa immediately… No wait, and hear me out” she exclaimed forcibly as Ricardo went to object again. “It is clear now that Angelica’s family can never allow your union. The soldiers at the tavern were King Alphonso’s own Death Guard. You young fools are caught up in something far bigger than yourselves. The civil war is coming to Terraversa, and you are but pawns to be used and disposed of as the powerful jockey to gain advantages.”

The room was quiet as the couple began to realise their true situation.

“It was unfortunate I was forced to kill that Death Guard. Now your father will have no excuse but to call out the regular army and militia to search for you. Alphonso’s agents are already claiming that you have been abducted. Now with one of the King’s guardsmen dead, the whole city will soon be after you.”

Angelica pensively looked up. Sadly she whispered “It is true… My father would never have agreed to our match, but he would have eventually accepted it… Now he will have no choice…” words escaped her.

It was a calmer and more determined Ricardo who picked up the conversation. “So, if you are our guardian, what do you suggest now? If it means saving Angelica, I shall turn myself in” he announced.

“No!” exclaimed Angelica.

“You shall not be safe here long. I know of a ship currently in the port, due to leave tomorrow. Her captain owes me a favour or two. He should be able to get you out, and once on the high seas you will have to trust luck or whatever gods to whom you pray to decide your fate. The captain is a good man, an experienced Corlander. If anyone can get you away, it will be him. I shall write you a letter of introduction”

“You won’t be coming with us?” asked Angelica.

“Maybe, but if so I will join the ship later. I feel a diversion may be required to keep the soldiers away from the docks.”

Ricardo asked the obvious question, “How will we make it to the docks with the army against us?” he asked.

“Ah, that is the beauty of this inn” smiled Marja. “I hope you don’t mind getting dirty. You see, it is a little known fact that King’s Port is built on a catacomb of natural caves and tunnels, and that over the years these have been extended and enlarged by everyone from plumbers to smugglers. In fact this tavern is actually owned by the same business interests that own the ship I would have you escape on, and it just so happens that a secret tunnel connects this tavern to the catacombs which will lead you to the port.”

And so the lovers found themselves fleeing a second tavern for the day. Again following precise instructions from their saviour, but this time through the gloomy tunnels beneath the busy streets. Above them, soldiers went from door to door, scouring the city.

32290558603_7ac1a73d61_b.jpg32949367452_111dacd7a9_b.jpg

32290560873_684a876973_c.jpg

Edited by Ayrlego

Fantastic build ayrlego, the roofs look really great and I like how you've all done a cohesive white and dark tan scheme for the ground floors!  Great job with the underground too, and the arch is very pretty! :thumbup: 

As I said on Bregir's build the white with tan profile bricks  turned out fabulous. I also am find of the roofs on this build and the creeping vines on the building! The four floors/layers of this build is astounding. You packed a lot into the allotted 16x16. Nice touches withe attic storage space and also breaking up the gray bricks on the bottom with the sand green. Overall beautiful build. 

Excellent entry !

For me, You won again a challenge !

The best entry ever in this challenge so far. Congrats ! Great job !

Great job with the "stacked" build! And I love the flowered vine on the wall. Nice architectural elements in such a small space. And I'm always on the lolokout for how people do bells in bell towers. I like this one. Well done overall! :thumbup:

Excellent build, Ayrlego, inside and out!  That roof and the white-dark tan color combination work fantastically, and the rock and archway underneath is great as well!  The bell, lantern, Marja closing the trapdoor, and the trans-green below are some of my favorite details, and a hearty 'well done' to all of those who participated in this collab!  Keep up the great work! 

Excellent built! Loved the bell turret and the secret tunel escape! :wub:
Also lovely colours and ground textures! Great job! :thumbup:

Thank you all for the kind comments. I really put a bit of work into this one - motivated by ensuring I didn't let my fellow collaborators down and a desire to increase quality over quantity in my MOCs - so I'm glad it was well received!

Also on the use of fleshies... I'll (most likely) return to yellow soon, but for challenge entries with the yellow uniformed Mardierians, I'll be using flesh, which I have to admit I am growing quite fond off.... :pir-sceptic:

Fantastic entry, inside and out, top to bottom! :wub: The structures are beautifully shaped and textured, the cave adds a lot of well-detailed depth, and the activity fits the story perfectly. This is a fitting conclusion to the series, and my favorite build from the challenge category. And I really like the bell tower topping everything off. Excellent work.:thumbup: