Capt Wolf

[ESL - Ch5A] Not who he was expecting

My name is not important, but my story may be of interest to you.

I met with Maria late one night in a part of Kings Port I doubt she had ever been to before. She is the daughter of a wealthy merchantman, a partner in a large trade consortium. Her father had prospered with the opening of Kings Port to all, but now her father was afraid that King Alphonse XIII would reclaim control of Kings Port. If that happened, her father wanted to make sure he had the connections to continue to prosper.

Maria’s father was a good merchant, but not a good father in Maria’s eyes. To secure his company’s future, he had arranged for Maria to marry into Mardierian nobility – specifically, she was to marry Prince Enrique, 17th in line to the throne of King Alphonse. That Maria was in love with a local boy meant nothing to her father. It should have.

That is how Maria came to be talking to me, late at night in this part of town. She sought someone who could solve her problem, but did not want her boyfriend put at risk. After some discreet questions of dock workers around her father’s business, she was eventually directed to someone I trust to recruit business, and from there she was directed to me. I solve people’s problems … when those problems can be solved by a timely death. She had ample gold to purchase my services. She told me that Prince Enrique would be in Kings Port soon to meet her. I told her what to do.

Soon thereafter, Maria met Prince Enrique formally, chaperoned by her father, among others. She acted excited at the prospect of marriage to the prince, and secretly told him that she would like to visit him tonight, unchaperoned. If he would make sure that his bodyguards were away and door unlocked, she would come to him to … er … confirm their compatibility.

But Maria is not visiting the prince tonight – I am. Maria had been very convincing, or perhaps the prince was as stupid as he looked. Regardless, I had no trouble entering the residence and finding my way to his room. He was half asleep in his bed as I crept closer, past the window.

01_ch-5a_sneaking_in.jpg

A squeak from the intricately detailed wood flooring alerted him that someone was in the room. He sat up in his bed. “Maria?” he asked. But then he saw it was not Maria, but me.

02_ch-5a_startled.jpg

I swear that he should have let loose a blood-curdling scream, but nary a peep came out of him, despite his effort. He was dumb with fright! With one quick motion, I slit his throat before he could find his voice. That gave me the time to clean off my blade before I left.

03_ch-5a_job_done.jpg

And so Maria is free to marry her local boy. Her father will have to hope Garvey and Eslandola prevail against Mardier and keep King Alphonse out of Kings Port for good.

---------------------

This is an entry for Eslandola's side.

A view of the whole build:

04_ch-5a_above.jpg

And an extra shot from a different angle:

05_ch-5a_alt_angle.jpg

All C&C welcome.

That floor is amazing! It must have taken ages (and great patience) to have done. I love the story as well. A great entry!

I must agree, the floor is the highlight of this build. It even has practical holes so the blood can flow away so it doesn't stain it:pir-laugh:

35 minutes ago, Legostone said:

I must agree, the floor is the highlight of this build. It even has practical holes so the blood can flow away so it doesn't stain it:pir-laugh:

Shhh! You're not supposed to notice the holes. :wink:

But a technic pin fits in them nicely, which can be used to anchor a minifig, as in the third pic.

Even with the holes the floor is an amazing work of art. I have to attempt to replicate that concept someday. The bed is also well done and I like the method of doing the drapes on it. Also i like the way you pose Prince Enrique and the covers depending on his pose. On another note, Maria seems very dangerous. Making a note not to cross her. :pir-murder:

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:14 AM, Ayrlego said:

That floor is amazing! It must have taken ages (and great patience) to have done. I love the story as well. A great entry!

22 hours ago, Legostone said:

I must agree, the floor is the highlight of this build.

3 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

Even with the holes the floor is an amazing work of art. I have to attempt to replicate that concept someday.

Thanks all! The floor didn't take as long as I thought it would. It mostly was tedious. The tough part was figuring out the dimensions so it would fit snugly. I wasn't sure it was going to work unitl, all of a sudden, it did! This was my first work with a cheese slope mosaic, and I'm looking forward to trying some more.

The bed is also well done and I like the method of doing the drapes on it. Also i like the way you pose Prince Enrique and the covers depending on his pose.

Thanks. I was especially happy with how the blankets worked when he's sitting up in bed.

On another note, Maria seems very dangerous. Making a note not to cross her. :pir-murder:

Good point. I hope her local boy never breaks her heart! 

Great entry! Besides the well built floor, I especially enjoyed the bed and the torso choices. Now off to sign a contract on Maria's life! :pir-oh:

Fascinating and well-thought out story, Capt. And The story is told very well in those pictures. Of course, I really like that floor, but the bed is a highlight too, as is the choice of expressions.

A suggestion could have been to make a two tiered build showing Maria manipulate the prince on one level, and then this scene on another. 16x16 isn't much, but a bit of creativity can give you a lot more to work with. :pir-wink:

Hey, you hired Sinbad! I'll be expecting my Doubloons soon. And I love your build and story!

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:48 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Great entry! Besides the well built floor, I especially enjoyed the bed and the torso choices. Now off to sign a contract on Maria's life! :pir-oh:

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

Fascinating and well-thought out story, Capt. And The story is told very well in those pictures. Of course, I really like that floor, but the bed is a highlight too, as is the choice of expressions.

Thanks to both of you! I'm glad you liked the bed; I was pleased with how it came out. I was happy that I didn't copy someone's existing design but worked it out on my own.

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

A suggestion could have been to make a two tiered build showing Maria manipulate the prince on one level, and then this scene on another.

Good idea. I wish I'd thought of it!

44 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Hey, you hired Sinbad! I'll be expecting my Doubloons soon. And I love your build and story!

I hadn't noticed that. You're right ... but now you've revealed his identity! :pir-oh:  And thanks!

Ooh... nice entry! :thumbup: The bed and posing are great, but the floor mosaic is fantastic. I strongly doubt I have the patience to attempt it... :pir-tongue: Interesting story too. How typical that he would fall for her little ploy...

The close-up view of the knife reminds me again of how nicely detailed those things are - almost like a third-party piece or something.

Good work. :classic: