LegoPerson885

Alternate Lego Batman Movie Villain Designs

I recently purchased "The Lego Batman Movie: Making of the Movie". It has concept art, goes behind the scenes, and has alternate designs for  the minifigures and vehicles seen in the movie. I definitely recommend it since I feel it is aimed at an older audience than some of the other Lego Batman Movie books. Some of the alternate minifigure and vehicle designs shown in this book were outstanding and others were monstrosities. Below are a few alternate villain designs I would have preferred.

58b33d631be2b_IMG_1502(3).JPG.0c9f0e53d733b8c1d1cab147d747b215.JPG

This Scarecrow design is unique and creepy and I love the scarf piece he has. His torso print is pretty basic, but the fear gas shooter makes up for it. The scarecrow minifigure we got is cool, but this one looks so much scarier.

58b33e66a31b0_IMG_1505(1).JPG.3a54bf0a5e0b76561ce01b114837da77.JPG

I really do appreciate the nod to the classic Lego crocodile in the Killer Croc big figure we got, however, this design is awesome. Maybe it is just because I am an Arkham Asylum game fan, but I think his face and collar make him feel more like Killer Croc than the current version. I wish they would have at least kept the bandages on the official Lego version.

58b33f94222e7_IMG_1501(1).JPG.374ec909e3420a3ce11d0ed5481d9c47.JPG

This Two-Face design looks like someone set fire to a classic Lego minifigure, I love it. I'm not a huge fan of the Two-Face minifigure we got, I do like how it is Billy Dee, however. This design, though would have me paying the $60 for that set.

Oh and in case anybody was wondering about the Joker's alternate designs, believe me they are horrendous.

So what do you guys think of these designs, do you prefer them to the current minifigures?

Edited by LegoPerson885

I wish we got something like that Croc design (minus the tail), I mean I'd preferably like the LB3 design, but that would be pretty cool too

Well I definitely prefer the Two-Face we got over the design shown. The other two are definitely creepier or more aggressive in how they look compared to the final designs but the ones we got fit with the Lego Batman Movie aesthetic better. 

I think it's easy with the release of the book to look through and find something else in there people prefer as a design. That's just the design process for you... I've presented enough stuff to clients to know that if you give 10 designs to enough people you'll get enough support for each different design. 

I'm not remotely disappointed the final designs were the ones chosen... I think they work great for the theme. If some of the other designs influence some future DC releases then that's also fine.

3 hours ago, Robianco said:

Well I definitely prefer the Two-Face we got over the design shown. The other two are definitely creepier or more aggressive in how they look compared to the final designs but the ones we got fit with the Lego Batman Movie aesthetic better. 

I think it's easy with the release of the book to look through and find something else in there people prefer as a design. That's just the design process for you... I've presented enough stuff to clients to know that if you give 10 designs to enough people you'll get enough support for each different design. 

I'm not remotely disappointed the final designs were the ones chosen... I think they work great for the theme. If some of the other designs influence some future DC releases then that's also fine.

I really do love the official Lego designs. I think they fit the fun feel to the movie very well. These are just some designs that really caught my eye when looking through the book. And yes, I hope these do influence future DC set minifigure designs.

I tried the new Crocodile head on Croc, although you can't close his mouth it looks awesome. I wish they atleast used the new crocodile design...

1 hour ago, Cobb said:

I tried the new Crocodile head on Croc, although you can't close his mouth it looks awesome. I wish they atleast used the new crocodile design...

Yeah, that would've been cool. The eyes definitely would have been more menacing. :wink:

Just curious, how did you swap heads? I don't have the Killer Croc figure so I don't know how it works.

they both snap on just like the normal crocodiles do.

1 hour ago, Cobb said:

they both snap on just like the normal crocodiles do.

Now I'm wondering how the ornate dragon head from "Adventurers" would work out

As much as I loved the amount of new villains we received, I really didn't like the actual design of a lot of them.

There are some pretty neat designs in the concept art (I especially like the roller-derby style Harley Quinn), but I can't honestly say I prefer any of the preliminary designs over the final versions. My favorites are the ones with a distinctly LEGO-ish twist to them: Killer Croc's use of the classic crocodile head and Two-Face's bad side looking like melted plastic.

On 2/26/2017 at 10:10 PM, LegoPercyJ said:

That two face... :wub: I NEED IT 

Might be my first custom.... 

Though we did get the molten plastic look for Two Face, that alternate design would have been awesome!

I do wish the DIY real world connections were stronger in the film, especially with the final character designs.

Just want to mention that there's alot of Bootleg/KO companies are making this design due to the release of concept art book. 

I really love the more creepy look of penguin also croc. It reminds me of oldschool batman movie!~ With a touch of TIm Burton. 

17 minutes ago, SpiderJazz said:

Just want to mention that there's alot of Bootleg/KO companies are making this design due to the release of concept art book. 

I really love the more creepy look of penguin also croc. It reminds me of oldschool batman movie!~ With a touch of TIm Burton. 

I think Killer Croc's final design is great, but the icing on the cake is the usage of the old upper crocodile head, giving him their own signature Lego touch!

I was certainly surprised they didn't opt for the newer upper head. The only thing is, I don't think Lego has ever made the old crocodile in olive green before the mold's retirement, which is somewhat unfortunate. :sceptic:

11 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I think Killer Croc's final design is great, but the icing on the cake is the usage of the old upper crocodile head, giving him their own signature Lego touch!

I was certainly surprised they didn't opt for the newer upper head. The only thing is, I don't think Lego has ever made the old crocodile in olive green before the mold's retirement, which is somewhat unfortunate. :sceptic:

Yea, after all there's a reason why this is called The LEGO Batman Movie, in that case they should've pick the normal lego head with 2 face - too brutal lol. 

Making of the Lego Batman movie

Does it seem like to anyone that these concepts have lower dual molded arms (a.k.a. cuffs)? Black Canary looks like the most obvious example. Unless concept artists did not consider the current production limitations for minifigures, perhaps we could be getting a new type of dual molded arm?

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Does it seem like to anyone that these concepts have lower dual molded arms (a.k.a. cuffs)? Black Canary looks like the most obvious example. Unless concept artists did not consider the current production limitations for minifigures, perhaps we could be getting a new type of dual molded arm?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Black Canary looks like when she shows up next year :wink:

On 2017-3-3 at 10:11 AM, TheBrickHitHouse said:

Argh! Is there a way I can unsee that horribly lazy Two Face design? They definetly went with a better design!

I wouldn't say lazy, I would say purposefully nostalgic. 

1 hour ago, Duncan Young said:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Black Canary looks like when she shows up next year :wink:

Wait wait wat... Reverse Flash, Lobo, Black Canary.... man this teasing :P Sounds to me like Lego is basing some sets on the new Justice League of America. Hopefully we'll also get a Rebirth inspired Batman figure.

2 hours ago, TheBrickBuilder14 said:

Wait wait wat... Reverse Flash, Lobo, Black Canary.... man this teasing :P Sounds to me like Lego is basing some sets on the new Justice League of America. Hopefully we'll also get a Rebirth inspired Batman figure.

Perhaps we could get a Justice League anniversary party set next year for a potential third TLBM wave, similar to TLM's double decker couch set ranging around $15-$20 in price, featuring some of the more obscure Leaguers.

Still, these possible new dual molded arms are of the most interest to me, since they would be perfect for so much.

4 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Perhaps we could get a Justice League anniversary party set next year for a potential third TLBM wave, similar to TLM's double decker couch set ranging around $15-$20 in price, featuring some of the more obscure Leaguers.

Still, these possible new dual molded arms are of the most interest to me, since they would be perfect for so much.

Wouldn't get your hopes up for them though, dual molded arms have only been recently introduced and I don't believe there is a real need to change them, certainly not for such a minor detail. More figures that appeared in TLBM featured designs that aren't possible in real life due to certain limitations.