Legostone

[ESL - ship] Esprit Fortune

Being a shareholder in the Oleander RNTC, it is only up in my interest to supply them with ship, and with an order appearing - especially with those fairly interesting terms they are offering - I had decided to order my shipyards to build a decently sized New Terraman that, while having plenty of cargo space, is still able to defend itself against potential attackers as well as sail as quick as a frigate. Their efforts have been successful while still maintaining their usual speed. This new Terraman has been built following the plans of a small fifth rate, slightly widened, but the gunports haven't been cut out - what this means is obvious. It has a lot of cargo space, and could, if the need arises, be transformed into a frigate with the use of a saw. We decided it would be best if we kept the guns on the quarterdeck and forecastle, or better say deck - to protect the cargo we have decided to completely cover up the lower deck and only allow access to it through the hatches; light can also get through into the great cabin through a skylight above it. 

In short - speed and manoeuvrability of a frigate, a full extra deck for cargo as well as 16 guns of 9 pounds each to defend itself. So, here we go:

33089551306_bdaea6cd82_c.jpg

33089547686_5dfce8b415_c.jpg

Off course, a new ship needs to be celebrated. While the Captain discusses the plan of the next target destination with one of the Officers on board, a bunch of regular Sea Men, a couple Officers and some others have started doing just that. Not everyone is that lucky though.
32974610102_b5c38350b8_c.jpg

I dare calling her a curvy lady!
32974604422_b79f831b3a_c.jpg

The Stern, not much to say about it.
33089531236_dc0d37941a_c.jpg

One might know my personal Frigate - that one is just a little bit shorter and thinner than this one, but I think it is well visible that they are both from the hands and hammers of my shipyards.
33089516856_a68a160fff_c.jpg

For the time being, Esprit Fortune will likely be licensed as a 5T by the RNTC, but I certainly expect it to be at least a class 6, and, depending on the definition, maybe even a class 7.

Wow, she is a beauty! I love your sails. How did you make them? That is a wonderful addition to the Oleon navy.

Stunning, absolutely stunning. The color scheme is fitting for a fine, Oleander merchantman, and looks very sharp. The rigging is quite impressive, too, and is a gorgeous addition to this fine vessel. I cannot comment on the accuracy of her lines as I'm no expert, but they certainly look nice. Adding all the crewmen was an excellent touch that brings the ship to life.

Yes, yes and YES! A fine ship by all standards! I also like how you stacked so many sailors on deck. Pluralism is a good thing :wink:

This is excellent. Especially considering how difficult it sometimes is to create curves with lego. Using the bent tubes at the rear is a very elegant solution and visual guide. But the most impressive part are definitely the sails and the rigging: simply amazing! :classic: :thumbup:

On 2/26/2017 at 8:36 PM, KotZ said:

Wow, she is a beauty! I love your sails. How did you make them? That is a wonderful addition to the Oleon navy.

Thanks!
Well... I cut out 
this shape from a piece of cloth, place a piece of string in the overlapping part (I add some cutouts for extra strings on the triangular sails, so I can tie them onto the strings) and then glue the overlapping part onto the other part. I hope I explained that good enough. If you build a ship just try it out. 

On 2/26/2017 at 10:17 PM, Captain Green Hair said:

She has turned out really nice mate!? I look forward to the next!

Let's see how long that takes:P

On 2/27/2017 at 0:23 AM, Captain Genaro said:

Stunning, absolutely stunning. The color scheme is fitting for a fine, Oleander merchantman, and looks very sharp. The rigging is quite impressive, too, and is a gorgeous addition to this fine vessel. I cannot comment on the accuracy of her lines as I'm no expert, but they certainly look nice. Adding all the crewmen was an excellent touch that brings the ship to life.

Thanks! Considering accuracy - some details are still missing, but I think most of the stuff that is there should be there, and the stuff that is missing isn't too noticeable for most people:P Adding a crew to a ship is one of the most important parts, it can make any vessel more interesting:D

On 2/27/2017 at 1:04 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Yes, yes and YES! A fine ship by all standards! I also like how you stacked so many sailors on deck. Pluralism is a good thing :wink:

I thought it was appropriate to have a large crew on board while going on the first journey:D

On 2/27/2017 at 2:07 AM, Littleworlds said:

This is excellent. Especially considering how difficult it sometimes is to create curves with lego. Using the bent tubes at the rear is a very elegant solution and visual guide. But the most impressive part are definitely the sails and the rigging: simply amazing! :classic: :thumbup:

Thanks! I must admit that my techniques aren't the most legal connections (the hull is quite sturdy, but it is built using bent bricks, otherwise there would have been no way in getting those curves right). The rigging and sails take a while to make, so another Thanks! for that!

Let's see how long until someone mentions my favourite detail on the bow:P

Another excellent ship, LS, I really like those beak-heads and the stern, and the curves, sails, and rigging are all superb as well! :pir-sweet:  Great to see all the crew there and enjoying themselves too, and is it a bad thing that I quite like the color-scheme? :pir-grin:  Awesome work, keep it up!

On 2/28/2017 at 4:09 PM, Capt Wolf said:

That's a beauty, LS (even in blue)! And the deck is alive with activity. :thumbup:

Thanks!

On 2/28/2017 at 6:12 PM, Garmadon said:

Another excellent ship, LS, I really like those beak-heads and the stern, and the curves, sails, and rigging are all superb as well! :pir-sweet:  Great to see all the crew there and enjoying themselves too, and is it a bad thing that I quite like the color-scheme? :pir-grin:  Awesome work, keep it up!

No problem with liking the colour-scheme - it is still a ship from my shipyards :P

Beautiful ship. I love the captain's cabin. The rigging and the sails are fantastic as well. I didn't know you could license ships above a 5. Is there a guide to that? My ship Icarus Returning could be a 5+ as well, and I might want to do that.

1 hour ago, Mesabi said:

Beautiful ship. I love the captain's cabin. The rigging and the sails are fantastic as well. I didn't know you could license ships above a 5. Is there a guide to that? My ship Icarus Returning could be a 5+ as well, and I might want to do that.

The classes for 5+ aren't out yet. This will be somewhere in the near future as promised months ago by @Bregir .

There are vessels now that are too big for the current licences (they are licenced as a class 5). Once the new classes are out, the Naval Commission will decide case by case what class those current vessels can be upgraded too.

Great looking ship, Legostone. In fact, I think it is your best one yet. The absence of gunports make her look very elegant, and the curve of her hull is expertly done. And long gone are the days where I could ask for tauter rigging! Well done! :)

Re: Larger ship classes.

They are basicly ready, and will be introduced together with some more changes to ships, small and large, that I think you will all find very interesting. As all ships will change, there will be a bit of working in the transition period, but I think it will run pretty smoothly.

However, we are holding them back until the new MRCA is ready, which will hopefully be very soon.

She popped up on page one again - finally, I'm so lazy in searching :grin:

LS, this is a marvelous vessel - yet again you did a great job on the lines. Not to mention the colors :wink: Kudos on the fins used as decorative element. But you went for a two-studs wide keel again... grrr...

I have a hard time deciding whether this one or the Cardinal is my favorite... :wub:

Also, great job on all the crew you've added... except for that one obviously lazy fellow with the mug full of rum :grin:

Keep it up - which you surely will :thumbup:

On 3/10/2017 at 6:25 AM, Mesabi said:

Thanks! Bigger ship classes have been explained by Maxim and Bregir ;)

On 3/10/2017 at 8:16 AM, Bregir said:

Great looking ship, Legostone. In fact, I think it is your best one yet. The absence of gunports make her look very elegant, and the curve of her hull is expertly done. And long gone are the days where I could ask for tauter rigging! Well done! :)

Thanks! I'm not sure if I prefer this one or the Cardinal, I really like both of em:P 

On 3/10/2017 at 11:55 AM, Kolonialbeamter said:

She popped up on page one again - finally, I'm so lazy in searching :grin:

LS, this is a marvelous vessel - yet again you did a great job on the lines. Not to mention the colors :wink: Kudos on the fins used as decorative element. But you went for a two-studs wide keel again... grrr...

I have a hard time deciding whether this one or the Cardinal is my favorite... :wub:

Also, great job on all the crew you've added... except for that one obviously lazy fellow with the mug full of rum :grin:

Keep it up - which you surely will :thumbup:

:D Let's do that once again;) The two stud wide keel is just sooo much more convenient to use:D As said above, I can't really decide between this one and the Cardinal - and space in the best spot is limited (but this one has been moved to the top of another shelf for the time being:P)

Also, everyone who reads this - almost noone I guess - make sure to decide for the best ship here!

Great ship, I like the colour scheme, blue and black, it varies from the commonly seen yellow black or white black. Impressive rigging and sails, and above all, bravo for the custom hull.:thumbup: 

Another fantastic vessel! :wub: Colors are lovely and the overall shape is really nice. The stern looks good to me, particularly the curves. And of course the masts and rigging are good. I'm also liking all those crewmen, which is visually impressive. Good work. :thumbup:

I like big ships, this is a fine one. The colour scheme is aesthetically pleasing and the hull technique is amazing.:thumbup: