Yesterday i realized that Unimogs have very interesting suspension. And 8110 offers nice shape, but not this unique suspension. So, i don't sure where i'll finish, but this is where i started.

32269971063_b5fcecb53f_c.jpg

Torque tube suspension. No need for any control arms, only Panhard rod. Steering link is similar and parallel to that Panhard rod, so, suspension travel do not affect steering.

32929015502_9273005341_c.jpg

Well, the last generation has the engine above the front axle Picture source

View-of-complete-Unimog-S-chassis-1956.j

the actual generation has, for a better center of gravity, the engine between front axle and center diff. But the engine looks still in the same direction

13925109290_d0c7353d4f_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

This is really cool, i was waiting for someone to make the newer version of the UHN Unimog, the progress looks good so far, the engine place looks accurate in the picture of above, the axles look good too with the ball joints, resembling the torque tubes of the real Mog, the steering is just how it is in real life, i think that you are making a great work on it, i am very interested in how will look the body

I'm always happy when I see a Unimog project. While I liked the body work of the 4000 better than they 4023, the movement of the engine was a good decision from MB. It will be great to see your interpretation. Keep up the good work.

Small update with tiny tweaks. Also i used a ruler and a blueprint and realize that Unimog wheels are too big for Unimog) With given wheelbase 81.6 mm wheels fits almost perfectly. Tumbler tires looks more truck like, but 42000 more in size because they are narrower. Should i keep 42000 tires or Tumbler?

32947741852_ddf5cbbd76_c.jpg

Also... It was a very wrong start to think that i will make an unimog with proper suspension. But TLG already did, and i didn't knew it) I was confused, but i have longer Panhard rods, more proper steering... And my Unimog will be newer, so i'll finish it anyway)

Edited by Victor Imaginator

I personally prefer the tumbler tires as the 42000 tires seem to low in profile for the uni,  looking at the Blue print above the chassis is to high or are you aming for a "high rider"

Looking forward to your next update

@Siegfried Meyer No, i don't plan a "high rider". Chassies is really too high, but it's almost lowest possible with 9.5L shock absorbers. I think that i'll hide chassies with some kind of bodywork later. Or i can try to win another one stud and hope that additional weight will push chassies more closer to original)

The front should be easy to hide  because of the cab, the rear if I may give you a suggestions not sure if it will work thou, turn the shock up side down and the bottom connector then you should gain 2 studs

Looks great either way

Edited by Siegfried Meyer

Victor, lower is possible! Take a look on my lxf screenshot which i have posted earlier.

Edited by efferman

2 hours ago, Siegfried Meyer said:

The front should be easy to hide  because of the cab, the rear if I may give you a suggestions not sure if it will work thou, turn the shock up side down and the bottom connector then you should gain 2 studs

Looks great either way

21 minutes ago, efferman said:

Victor, lower is possible! Take a look on my lxf screenshot which i have posted earlier.

Just tried both of solutions - bend the frame and low mounting points of shock absorbers. Result isn't nice, differentials is too close to frame, suspension travel become less. Main problem is portal hubs, they are too big for that scale. But i will find some solution tomorrow)

@efferman By the way - LXF isn't lower. In your solution absorbers mounting point is where top axle of portal hub is. I already has it one stud lower. And managed to make it lower another 2 studs today.

32308319483_879cf07f0e_c.jpg

Wedge wheels + 2 gears in the middle is a placeholder for old style differential. Whole frame is less robust now, but it have same articulation possibilities and it's more compact at rear. Also steering mechanism is taking less space now and more useful for building around it.

32967519192_eef25fbd47_c.jpg

I'm still like 42000 wheels more - they are narrower. With sprockets and discs it looks ok for me.

It looks amazing, about the tires, there is actually a wide range of possible tires, all the blueprints of the U4023 are shown with 335/80R20 tires, which are about 41 inches or 104 cm tall and about 340 cm wide, however, this truck is able to use up to 395/85R20 tires, which are 46.8 inches or 119 cm tall and about 40 cm wide, this means that there are many possibilities to use depending of what you want, but for me it looks great with those tires because it will be even more similar to the version of the blueprints, you are able to use the 8110 tires, they would be a very similar version of the real life 445/65R22,5 Michelin XZL Wide Base which is inside the range of possible tires, but the truck looks good with the tires you have put, it is getting better and better with the time.

(Oh my, this is my post number 666 :wacko:)

Edited by Imanol BB

Another update. Steering rack mechanism is now finally sturdy and compact. Fake engine moved deeper and become a structural element. HOG gear on top is located where is roof ended. Back of frame it's a little flexible being 1 stud thin - it will be sturdier later with something attached at the back of the truck. Frame can't be lowered more - it's already touching the front and rear axles while suspension fully compressed. And i don't want to make axles thinner.

33130841045_96e77413e2_c.jpg

33003838211_b7fac341dc_c.jpg