Sign in to follow this  
mephistopheles

Sylvania: Wood Carvers House

Hi!

This build is for Hamlet (it might turn out to be a village right away) "Sylvania". I did not build any surroundings because it will fit into the diorama in a specific spot. All my builds I have post or will post recently will go on a 3x4 baseplate diorama, so I spare the time to build little surrounding which I won't use anyway. 

So this is a house for the Wood Carver. I included a small scene where he is about to carve a copy of that wooden owl. The final spot on the diorama will include a more detailed workshop next to the house. 

EDIT: Lore: Besides the mandatory Green Dragon shield you can see the shield with the tree on green background. It is the heraldic for the Woodworkers Guild, the largest guild in Woodward. Coopers, Carpenters, Wood Carvers, etc. all belong to this guild. 

32910730211_4f32238789.jpgIMG_3141 by Mephistopheles, on Flickr

32910729401_e6b3a9db9d.jpgIMG_3143 by Mephistopheles, on Flickr

32881400102_51868a0a9f.jpgIMG_3145 by Mephistopheles, on Flickr

32881399972_66cb730ba2.jpgIMG_3147 by Mephistopheles, on Flickr

32910729691_478432bbca.jpgIMG_3150 by Mephistopheles, on Flickr

32655108890_8a0cc6fe79.jpgIMG_3153 by Mephistopheles, on Flickr

33037211305_20c9042a56.jpgIMG_3154 by Mephistopheles, on Flickr

Edited by mephistopheles

Very nice building, the colors look neat and the roof is really well done!   Looking forward to seeing the whole diorama!

It looks very nice, in keeping with the other builds you have already put together. I like the consistent style throughout, with enough variation to keep it interesting. I have two points of critique: first, it bothers me a bit that the shields stick out from the wall like that; I think it would improve the appearance to have them flush with the wall behind. Second, why is the woodcarver's house not decorated with extra-ornate wood carvings, as a sort of billboard for his work? I would think that that could make it a bit more spectacular, though it is already quite good. 

Really cool House! I really like how you used a slightly different style then the other houses, but still made this MOC feel similar. :thumbup:

HQ may be right with his question about extra-ordinary woodwork...

Anyway, you're doing a great job, keep it up!

17 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

It looks very nice, in keeping with the other builds you have already put together. I like the consistent style throughout, with enough variation to keep it interesting. I have two points of critique: first, it bothers me a bit that the shields stick out from the wall like that; I think it would improve the appearance to have them flush with the wall behind. Second, why is the woodcarver's house not decorated with extra-ornate wood carvings, as a sort of billboard for his work? I would think that that could make it a bit more spectacular, though it is already quite good. 

Easy to answer: I don't have any parts for that. There is the reddish brown little frog I have 1 piece of. I though of buying some more of those and maybe some brown owls or whatever I find and adding them later. So you have a valid point! 

Regarding the shields: Interesting idea. I didn't find this disturbing so it never occured to me, but it makes sense. Will see what I can do.

Your use of cheese slope patterns in buildings is so inspiring :wub: Another great addition to your hamlet! As usual, your roof is very well done, and I like the balconies on the second story :thumbup: