Jim

[TC11] Technic Contest Battle Bots - Discussion Topic

3 hours ago, PKW said:

What about my ide of a video where I can make my entry fight other bots? I already know I can show their building progress in the topic but I can show them in the video? Also I know videos are better if short, but inserting my video in a play list of flights (about the entry) and saying "if you like the entry and you want to see more of it in action you can just let the play list scroll" it is ok? The embeed video will be only the real one send the other will only appear on entry topic 

In this particular contest, only one bot is required. We have already cover that few posts back...

Also, only one video is required.

6 hours ago, PKW said:

What about my ide of a video where I can make my entry fight other bots? I already know I can show their building progress in the topic but I can show them in the video? Also I know videos are better if short, but inserting my video in a play list of flights (about the entry) and saying "if you like the entry and you want to see more of it in action you can just let the play list scroll" it is ok? The embeed video will be only the real one send the other will only appear on entry topic 

Similar question for you Jim, can I build a mock-up of a battle-bot to demonstrate my signature move? It would only be a wheeled skeleton, no functions at all, only made for the purpose of getting smashed by my bot. :devil:

For those of you who didn't understand Milan's last couple of posts...

NO

9 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Wait, you can have more than one battery box?

Not sure if I like that. But, well, rules are as they are...

This was the first thought that came to my mind if I'd be building something. A loaded battery box is 800grams iirc? Get 5 or more on your model and GL flipping any of it unless you opponent is using a pneumatic mechanism? Maybe I underestimate the power of a non-pneumatic solution to flip 4+ kg of Lego. Surprise me :D

5 minutes ago, Appie said:

This was the first thought that came to my mind if I'd be building something. A loaded battery box is 800grams iirc? Get 5 or more on your model and GL flipping any of it unless you opponent is using a pneumatic mechanism? Maybe I underestimate the power of a non-pneumatic solution to flip 4+ kg of Lego. Surprise me :D

can say that motor can't reload (in a reasonable time) mechanism that flip good more than 2-3kg with only one battery, about lifting i think therre is no problem on making a 4kg lifer with those sizes and more than one battery box (but forced to 2wd due to big dimensions), my personal record is a full flip (so directly updise down) on a 1kg robot, i'm not sure if i will try to beat this or build my most deadliest spinner....

So, I'm kind of wondering something. How are we supposed to demonstrate the robot if we can't build a training dummy? Would it be okay to have the robot shoot at/charge a cardboard box, or some stacked Lego bricks?

For my video, I am planing on building someone from LEGO bricks to test my bot.  I am not building a whole new bot to fight, but something to test my bot's abilities. 

Edited by aminnich

Guys, but mostly @aminnich @PKW @IA creations

Instead of (again) quoting the rules and replies, I will write some reasons why it is not good idea to have second dummy bot:

1. Main bot will be built and fit to perfectly crush perfectly fitting dummy, and we don't want that! Does real Robot Wars Bot have that luxury? No, they are built like all-round machine that are designed to fight a bot of any shape and size. We want that!

2. Second bot could have influence on the judging! Which can only be avoided if none of the Bots have a dummy adversary. We need to make sure all the attention is on the main bot!

3. We would have to introduce a new set of detailed rules for the second-dummy bot! It will complicate things and is a bad idea, especially when it seems it is hard enough to follow the existing ones.

Having said this, lets get back to building and enjoying the contest! :thumbup:

I never said anything about a dummy bot. Building a second bot would just take away from my main bot, like you said.  Plus, I wont have much time to make one, let alone 2.  Once it comes time to make my video, I will have a brick wall or something to show my weapon, not a bot.  Sure this wall will not simulate another bot with full on weapons, but it will give a general idea.  

Sorry for all the comments on how the bot should be done.  This is Jim's and Milan's contest, we should not be trying to make up rules as we go.  Sick to the rules or don't participate is my philosophy.  Hopefully contestants stop worrying about how to present their bot, but actually building it. 

ok @Milan i'll take care of posting videos about my future bot fights after the competition ends in order not to influence voting(but i'll use them to vote other creations ahahahaha:devil:), if i can ask (also on behalf of who was asking there) is this limitation restricted to "you must not use your bot against any of your MOC/builds/objects to show its signature move" or something like "what really matters is that you'll show only one bot and don't try to influence voting by creating a specifically designed dummy bot (and so any of your MOC for pars conditio) but it is ok to test it again lego sets/boxes/brick walls objects fruits ad so on".

i'm asking this just because i read the rules a lot of tie and since my first question i can't find any hit about dummy rules and so on, so i'm also here to suggest to add the outcome of this discussion to save new contestants form reading 6 pages or from asking already solved questions.

Just a thought... While it's not explicitly forbidden in the rules, I guess it's against the spirit of the competition to use robot-mounted PF IR remote control as a weapon. :grin: That is, to interfere / hijack opposing bot's control. Anyway that's hardly a "signature move", except for solving how to get line of sight to opponent's IR receiver...

18 hours ago, arik said:

Just a thought... While it's not explicitly forbidden in the rules, I guess it's against the spirit of the competition to use robot-mounted PF IR remote control as a weapon. :grin: That is, to interfere / hijack opposing bot's control. Anyway that's hardly a "signature move", except for solving how to get line of sight to opponent's IR receiver...

Glad to see unique ideas like this.

Technically it is a Lego, but it feels too cheaty, lets stick to something you have created, and built yourself.

13 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

are V2 receivers permitted?

8 hours ago, XtremeBuilder said:

PF IR, and Sbrick allowed, that means any PF IR receivers, enjoy! :classic:

:thumbup:

For inspiration and ideas the new series of Robot Wars starts on BBC 2 - Sunday March 5th at 19:00 hrs.

22 hours ago, arik said:

You could build a giant cube that opens up and surrounds the other bot to block its IR signals. 

My original thought was to make a big expanding claw that would grab the other bot and draw it into my bot's weapon but I changed my mind and went with something more conventional and robust.

39 minutes ago, krtwood said:

You could build a giant cube that opens up and surrounds the other bot to block its IR signals. 

My original thought was to make a big expanding claw that would grab the other bot and draw it into my bot's weapon but I changed my mind and went with something more conventional and robust.

Don't forget about the 45x45x45 resting robot spacial limit.

1 hour ago, krtwood said:

Yes, nice one :-) It could also shoot a blanket of some kind (Lego pirates sail(s)?) over the opponent.

Stopping an SBrick is a bit tougher one...

21 hours ago, arik said:

Yes, nice one :-) It could also shoot a blanket of some kind (Lego pirates sail(s)?) over the opponent.

Stopping an SBrick is a bit tougher one...

Phone virus transmitted by a watcha-ma-callit!

3 minutes ago, XtremeBuilder said:

Phone virus transmitted by a watcha-ma-callit!

That's creative! I was thinking an EMP cannon. But these solutions are hard to sneak past the contest rules ;-)